[discussion] Bring Back Rare In/Out of match situations

westy8chimp

I've referenced in the 'top three wishlist' forum but thought it may get more discussion here. Does anyone remember these 'rare occasions' from the old champ man days... you would do a 30 year career and maybe see it a handful of times... I'll give a situation and then a real life example. It would bring back those moments that are so different you would send a photo of it to your fellow FM fans...

1) young players receiving such a bad injury that they retire. on cm 95/96 my brother bought Edgar Davids, then the best player on the game, in his prime. he suffered a broken spine and retired soon after. Hillarious for me, gutting for my brother. IRL -> Andy Wilkinson (Stoke) vision issues I believe forced him to retire young

2) global bans - again in the champ man days - it was rare but did happen, you could have a player push over a referee or fail a drug test and receive upwards of a 9 month global ban. IRL Adrian Mutu (drugs), Cantona (hit fan), Di Canio (Pushed referee), Rio Ferdinand (failed drugs test), Suarez (biting).

3) Multiple red cards as a result of a scuffle. Used to have a situation (pre-3d ME) where the commentary would say several players have pushed/punched/kicked each other and there would be a flurry of red cards. IRL .. what better reference than the Battle of Santiago

4) Never before witnessed in game... but IRL -> training ground bust ups (Barton vs Dabo), Car crash accident (Pape Souare), Family death means missed game (Willian).

There are of course countless other random things that happen in football, mostly rare, that could be simulated in the game to add a little spice. I find these days that other than developing youth and tinkering with tactics, nothing really changes from season 1 to season 20... there's never a one player moment where I think "wow I gota show my mate that..."

i think they were CM mods? was it a FAKE file that you could delete or something? 

I like all the suggestions though, i bet some cant be introduced due to legal reasons, or maybe just relate to regen players to avoid that side of things?

Yes I think that was FM statement many moons ago when the features were no longer present 'legally can't state a player took drugs' etc. But in todays world surely a footballer understands it's a game with random elements built in... and are they any more upset about failing a drugs test in the year 2030 than getting a rating of 3 in a match simulation in year 2016?

If there are legal ramifications ... they can have events that go outside of those limitations.. needn't be drugs or violence or death... it could be minor things like a flight is delayed after international break (Imagine: "News Flash: Gylfi Sigurdson can't return to play for Swansea in the foreseeable future as Icelandic Volcano causes flight disruptions").

Or as you state it could be limited to regens - so these things happen more once you are 20+ seasons into a game.

Pretty sure point one is already in the game, it is just very very rare.

Points two and three won't happen for legal versions for real players, whilst SI have also said in the past they don't want that side of football in the game.

Point four already sort of happens in the game as shown in the previous posters screenshot, some of the training injury reports also mention that the injury was caused by one of your other players, there are also off-field events that can affect players (either good or bad) - you can get a message from your staff saying something like due to off field events player is looking more/less dedicted and it will affect his development and/or attributes.

Exactly 'the good old days' when things happened that made you do a double take. Can't imagine case in hearing where a law has been made that a football game can give a player a red card for an awful two footed tackle ... but not for a push/shove/punch/kick. "SI have also said in the past they don't want that side of football in the game" ... but SI response to all raised bugs is "IRL...". well in real life people are often sent off for retaliation after a bad tackle, or off the ball incidents during the match. Ferdinand did fail the Test... I didn't turn up to my GCSE mock English in the summer of 2000 because I was watching the Euros - I got a 'FAIL'. I didn't say he tested positive for drugs.

I understand it could be poor form to have a player die, or family member die. But again this does happen, so maybe it could happen to regens.

I still love the idea of being able to tell my players to dive or aggravate the opponents. I hate Chelsea but Diego Costa is fantastic to watch because of these sort of behaviours. It would be good to emulate it in the game.

• 1 month later...

Archived