A little bit of nostalgia

The reason for this topic is to bring a little bit of nostalgia on this forums. It's almost 1.XI and since in my country we (still) tend to celebrate it in a somewhat reflective and thoughtful way I thought out something like this would be a cool thing to do. I will try to present to all of you some old CM/FM games and write a little bit about star players, bright youngsters, big teams but also the games features and options which you won't find in the newest iterations.

So let's start with Championship Manager 2001/2002.

First noticable thing is the sidebar which disappeared somewhere in FM series. From there you could navigate to other screens, from which most noticable of all must have been the "You have news" link at the bottom (no, it was not blinking).

aaa.PNG

Newsbox consisted of 8 preset filters: All/Messages/Competitions/Injuries and Bans/Contracts and Media/Transfers/Jobs/Records. I've never used them, really. It was set to All all the time and I kind of skipped the messages by reading the headlines only. There's also a filter functionality so you could find any message more easily.

aaa1.PNG

Player contract negotiations were kind of weird back then. Imagine I could have signed a player on a 11 year contract. 

Maximum I can set on a minimum release clause is 50 mln pounds. I guess back then noone has heard about Gareth Bale (he was about like 12 when the game was released, I bet he prefered training than this). Paul Pogba was eight years old. 

While we're at it. Let's check out some players from back then...

Zlatan came out of nowhere in Ajax team. He's 19 and ready to set the world alight:

I will always remember his Ajax goal against Breda. I consider this to be his best goal ever and one of the greatest goals I have ever seen. Actually it's third-placed after two from the real Ronaldo. Probably have seen it a million times but here it is again:

And this is how he looks like in the game. Probably just popped-out out of nowhere in Ajax so it seems...

aaa2.PNG

aaa3.PNG

Ok let's see someone else then.

Cristiano...

... is on a free transfer and ready to snap-up. So it seems that 15 years ago noone has even heard the name except for maybe one lunatic scout from portuguese CM research team. Let's check out his stats:

aaa4.PNG

Good balance and acceleration (12) with pace (14) and surprisingly high finishing (12). But take a look at stamina (15) and strength (16)! Not much of a dribbler though (3) ;) and not too much creative (3). Oh well, he's only 16 so maybe givent the time... I'll try to sign him ;)

-------------

Oh, well that's a cool news indeed. A new transfer system! ;) Guess it must have been something like Brexit is in FM17... BTW: cool background picture.

aaa5.PNG

----------

Ok, it's time to check out my favorite English tema - Aston Villa. They're always somewhere near the european cup spot in those days so let's check their fixtures firs...

Intertoto Cup :D Well, can't say I was looking forward to those games but nevertheless you could get to know some new teams, not like today. 

aaa6.PNG

------------

Ok how about a top club like Barcelona? 

aaa7.PNG

This brings some back some memories. What a bunch of great players... Big names together with some unknown youngsters like this 18 y.o. third-choice goalkeeper for example:

aaa8.PNG

He is on a 3,5k GBP p/week so must be considered a pretty decent prospect. Here's a nother promising one:

aaa9.PNG

Found it surprising he was at loan to PSG at such a young age (he is 19 in the game).

And here's a promising lad, but perhaps soon too old to be considered a talent. Will he break into the first team? ;) Maybe, given time, he will prove to be a valuable player after all but looking at previous season I kind of doubt that (21 apps, 2 goals) ;)

aa10.PNG

Cant find Iniesta. Let's take a look at the reserves then. A lot of no-names but those two stand out:

aa11.PNG

The other one is really poor. Bet he's not going to make it big, no way.

aaa12.PNG

On the other hand there's some bright nigerian talent:

b.PNG

But I guess he wasn't that good.

----

To be continued... i think

On 31.10.2016 at 10:33, gunner86 said:

I'm relatively certain that's Maciej Szczesny in the first pic. Father of Wojciech Szczesny

You're absolutely right, sir.

He was pretty decent goalkeeper, even managed to grab a couple of internationals for Poland. Fun fact #1: he is the only Polish player to have won the 1st division with 4 different clubs. Fun fact #2: Wojtek's brother - Jan Szczęsny - is also a goalkeeper but plays in lower leagues, he's 2 years older then Wojtek.

Archived