I hope the developers watched the game between City and Barca

bluearmy19

Both legs of this game is exactly what's lacking in FM. The closing down was just phenomenal especially from City. Would love to be able to do this in game. The closing down atm is quite pathetic most of the time. In this game, over both legs. keepers were never allowed to pass out from the back, were under constant pressure, and they had to show some very good passing and footballing skills to just get the ball to their teammates. This is something that is really lacking in FM match engine.

this is maybe one for the tactics forum - I've created a tactic which is pretty effective at closing down ...nothing fancy 4 1 2 2 1 narrow. FBs on attack to provide width, very high line, much more pressing, get stuck in, very high tempo., prevent goalkeeper distribution.

Because it is so narrow and 6 men through the middle they do tend to pounce on opposition trying to play out of the back. And if the keeper hoofs it my high line CBs mop it up on the half way line. My full backs prevent them clearing to flanks. I get caught out against the best teams away as they have better passing and decision making so play a few one-twos then play long over my high line... or they overload/overlap my full backs. But apart from that it's a very dominant tactic with lots of possession and chances.

That said, the pressing could be better and I think other people have rightly requested a feature addition to allow us to 'zonally' set pressing. i.e. I would love a bwm in my tactic but they often chase all over the field. like watching u12s where they just chase the ball. I'd like to have a bwm but be able to say only to marshall the lines between my back 4 and the half way line. likewise I'd like to be able to choose a high press with my attack (the last third) or tell them to sit back and join midfield ... allowing them to play in their back 4 but then press hard when they reach the half way line.

Standard - Very Fluid.

GK - Sweeper support

FB R/L - FB Attack

CBs - CD Defend

DM - DM Defend

CM(l) - CM Support

CM(r) - DLP Support

AM(l) - AM Attack

AM(r) - SS Attack

SC - CF Support

Archived