Do the referees make mistakes?

Yeah they do make mistakes.

I've seen it in FM16 where you criticised a refereeing decision during a press conference followed by a inbox message saying the FA remain silent pointing to the fact the ref made a mistake.

When they make mistakes, you get direct written cues in the commentary, for example:

"Was that a penalty?" followed by "It looked like one." (in event penalty not given)

Or.

"The red card did seem harsh"

Those are from FM16 and earlier. Probably similar for FM17, I haven't played enough yet to notice.

One of my favourites was from FM08 where Juventus won a penalty but on the 2D display, it was clearly at least 5 feet outside the box.

Complained, FA was silent.

I remember at least one occasion, but can't remember what version, that I moaned about a referee after a game and that referee was actually sacked for ongoing incompetence. I think his average rating was something like 3.9 for the season.

Lost count of the number of times I've replayed a disallowed goal on slow motion, pausing it when the final ball is played, "showing" the Assistant referee that my striker is onside... he still raises his flag every time though...

I miss the good old days where you could go to the FA specifically to complain

Although there wasn't even 2D match graphics at the time so it was somewhat arbitrary...

Still, I was down in Soho Square every week complaining about whoever it was that dared wave a yellow card in Patrick Vieira's direction

Archived