Bigger pitches = bigger goals

Don't really know where to put this but it annoys me that on bigger pitches the goals are bigger. It always feels like shots just fly in on these pitches and, whilst I understand they might make for more open games, the goals themselves shouldn't be more conducive to shots going in! Same goes for smaller pitches, the goals are tiny!

Is that what it is? Just perspective? Is the second image just from a slightly more "zoomed out" point of view to fit the width of the pitch in? I measured the goals themselves and the top image goals are bigger but is that just because the image is zoomed out?

19 minutes ago, cpfc27 said:

Is that what it is? Just perspective? Is the second image just from a slightly more "zoomed out" point of view to fit the width of the pitch in? I measured the goals themselves and the top image goals are bigger but is that just because the image is zoomed out?

Yeah, just look at the sizes of the two centre circles.

Just now, eriktous said:

Why? Diversity is fun.

Yeah, but not in the rules. They used to let clubs provide their own balls for home games until they realized that was unfair and standardized league balls. Same should be done for the playing surface as well as the equipment.

I'm pretty sure the rules have such broad allowances to accommodate for existing situations across the globe on all levels of play. Most higher level leagues and competitions have rules which allow for a much smaller range of sizes.

17 minutes ago, Weston said:

Yeah, but not in the rules. They used to let clubs provide their own balls for home games until they realized that was unfair and standardized league balls. Same should be done for the playing surface as well as the equipment.

Most leagues are stricter on pitch dimensions than the laws of the game allow, the Premier League has a standardised pitch dimension rule.

18 hours ago, Weston said:

It's crazy to me that such a wide range of pitch sizes are even allowed by FIFA. There should be one pitch size.

width is one thing.. what about grounds with slopes! like Fratton Park (Portsmouth).

I like that some grounds have their querks - it means there is still an element of home advantage... and introduces some different ways of playing (Stoke with the narrow pitch and lots of space in advertising boards for the Delap long throw etc).

Also I used to frequent Adams Park (Wycombe Wanderers) quite often, and playing there was like playing Fifa 95 with the 'invisible walls' cheat turned on. So windy the ball would react wildly and alter direction as if it had hit a wall!

Barnet's old ground, Underhill, was a beaut as at one end you were fine, but at the other you needed oxygen assistance to breathe it was that high above sea level...

But in response to the OP, you can tell it's zoomed out as the 18yd box is tiny... Pretty sure they're standardised to 18yd by (18+6+18)yd.

Archived