[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive your enemy.  But, remember the bastard's name.

fener_scotland.thumb.png.320a915ef5dc54fb5f1bca41f32a06ed.png

Fenerbahçe / Scotland

May 2055 Mini-Update -- Champions League Semifinal, 1st Leg

The first leg will be played at the Şükrü Saracoğlu.  The lads have outdone themselves with the tifos tonight, as a deep blue rises up from Istanbul and Glasgow to cover Europe.  Kilts and those crazy red-hair hats are everywhere, with Fener kits on the masses.

We've claimed the league title, and will face Galatasaray in the cup final.  But, this is it, lads.  This is what we're here for.

My eyes find her seats, the ones I'd set aside.  But they remain empty.  20 minutes before kickoff, nothing.  10, nothing.  3, no one.  I'm heartbroken, but should have known better than to indulge the foolish fantasy that, after all of these years, she's been thinking of me, too.

A deep breath.  Refocus.  Nod to Apples, Emma and the twins, several rows behind the bench.  It's time for 90 minutes of hell.

At home, we'll play in the base PM Branco di Libero, with my fullbacks told to stay home and protect our flanks, as a counter to United's 4231.

We're pressing United hard, resulting in a quick turnover...Mustafa finds Yusuf, who twists and plays Aguirre in....YES!!!  13 minutes gone, and we're off and running.  Our first chance on goal and we've buried it.  That's what we need tonight, lads.

McLaren stuffs United's German-Romanian legend, Vlaicu, in the 21st.  You'd have put your life won him scoring that chance.  By all rights, it should be level.  Young McLaren looks on top form.

We continue to press, forcing a turnover to Barrowman who executes a textbook one-two with Karadeniz...then finds Yusuf streaking behind the United backline...2-nil!!!! 

United with a throw-in deep in Fener territory...Donald intercepts, heading clear to Karakus, who hits Yusuf in stride...he carries the ball forward, eventually playing it wide for the onrushing Stevenson...the Scottish Giant buries it!!!!  3-nil!!!  United falling apart at the seams!!!

3 shots on target, 3 goals!!!  What is United doing?!?!  The roar of the crowd is deafening!!!  They will not be denied!!!

The 2nd half passes in a blur.  We are defiant.  Resolute.  We threaten but cannot find another, and hold off the onslaught as United push for what could have been a vital away goal.

We'll head to Manchester with a 3-goal lead.  They're going to have to chase the game, which is exactly where we want them.

As the final whistle blows, I look back to her seats.  Nothing.  The only empty seats in the entire stadium.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

a3832bbd31b772a4449fc8279014c5c2.jpg b519f6791274b1d58cda91b0e735f653.jpg d702d88f98d7a913b60a2ad6cf86cf9c.jpg

e9fae12156c03756b0008f8ebf8f23bf.jpg

c31605cddc7788906d2dbdbe1a62565b.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

Fenerbahçe / Scotland

May 2055 Mini-Update -- Champions League Semifinal, 2nd Leg

The stage is set here at Old Trafford.  United will attack in numbers.  We're as ready as we can possibly be.  The plan?  Soak up the attacks in PM Lupo Incatenato, hit them on the counter and don't give up an early goal.

Europe has been refreshing, in that sides will come at us whereas domestically, they pack the box.  But the likes of United bearing down on you, at Old Trafford?  This is a different matter entirely.  We'll need nerves of steel to persevere.  Fortunately, Lee is back, his injury scare in the first leg proving to be nothing.

Safe hands from McLaren, as a dangerous kick is whipped into the box in the first minute, following a silly foul from Aguirre.  A nervy start.

Stevenson gets an inch of daylight in the 12th, nearly scoring the opener in front of the Stretford End.  An away goal would be a crushing blow.

United hit the post in the 22nd, coming close to cracking the tie wide open.  We clear.  We're holding firm in the Manchester rain, even though Scotty "Sick Boy" Donald is nursing a knock.  

But, with 45 minutes to play we're exactly where we need to be.  Well-ahead on aggregate, and growing in confidence.  There's no need for the Michael Jackson tonight.

United smash one off the post in the 56th, and we clear!  So close!  That could have been the moment, but right now the ball just isn't bouncing United's way!

They can hardly find a way through, and when they do, McLaren or the woodwork hold steady!

20 minutes to play...can United score....they always score... AND UNITED HIT THE CROSSBAR FROM 5 YARDS!!!  FENER CLEAR!!!

THIS CANNOT BE UNITED'S NIGHT, CAN IT?!?  THREE TIMES, THEY'VE BEATEN MCLAREN, THREE TIMES DENIED BY THE WOODWORK!!!  THE MARGINS ARE RAZOR THIN, BUT FENER HOLD AGAIN!!!

IT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PRETTY, BUT IT WAS A MASTERCLASS IN DEFENDING FROM THE TURKISH CHAMPIONS, WHO WILL FACE TOTTENHAM AT THE SAN SIRO!!!

BOTH SIDES WILL BE SEARCHING FOR THEIR FIRST CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TITLE!!!

9c1246c612a17d2f767c97e6942c396c.jpg f18ae14f69b345af51f2d0bc65e4a616.jpg

d695fb4f4eac0561c9cb0fd6696aff48.png

9108d7177592fd8f7459095cf0bb7969.png

[NOTE -- I am going to try to play the final tonight, although that is highly unlikely given other obligations.  If I can't get to it tonight, it will be tomorrow night.  Which is killing me.]

Fenerbahçe / Scotland

2055 Champions League Final -- San Siro

Lads, it's Tottenham.

2aa91ff31f568b3b7914cccc747aa9f3.jpg

Image result for san siro Image result for san siro at night Image result for san siro at night

3727eb25c6e856fdf61b1672ee69c97e.png

17a598a156615387c93f5aff7b050c7f.png

e0f9ae5194f87bc165a42214329e5f56.jpg

52ac1236a80fdf6de461df49f663d627.jpg 2325db59efc4fb1fd5ac8e7563c219ed.jpg

[Due to limited time this evening, there will be fewer blow-by-blow updates than normal for this match.  I simply can't wait until tomorrow night to play it!]

OH MY GOODNESS!!! A DREAM START FOR FENERBAHCE!!!  BEFORE THE CROWD HAS EVEN TAKEN THEIR SEATS, AGUIRRE FEEDS A THROUGH BALL TO STEVENSON WHO BURIES IT PAST THE OUTSTRETCHED ARMS OF KNIGHTS!!!

44a3c0f895d01f68144a76630a40d8f7.jpg 

1-0!!!  A DREAM FOR FENER!!!  A NIGHTMARE FOR SPURS!!!  TELLEUS, PUMPING HIS FIST ON THE SIDELINE!!!

Halftime.  After a manic 15 minutes, things have settled down and both sides are playing more cautiously.  Who will blink first?!?!

297a915301d1c8c94cf03dffc4919d1a.jpg

This is the time, lads.  Do not come back without your hands on the trophy.

Aguirre, once again the playmaker...hits Yusuf in stride....

29c5ba73fe430e808264081853e39761.jpg

YES!!!!  FENERBAHCE ARE BACK ON TOP!!!  THE CINDERELLA STORY CONTINUES!!!  YUSUF PUTS THE PEPPER IN THE BASKET, LIKE A DENTIST DRILLING WITH DYNAMITE!!!!

55 minutes played, and Yusuf has to come off injured.  Cagatay steps in and steps wide, as Stevenson shifts into the middle.  The biggest night of this young man's career, and he looks ready to play.

An hour gone.  Fener in control.  Telleus mulling over his side as they drop deeper, with subs are warming up en masse.

04adfad20e1e7f8ece2695f2d86c4b41.jpg 

97th minute...throw in for Fener deep in Spurs' territory...Donald finds Cagatay who spins and plays into Stevenson's feet...he feints inside, turns outside and fires...3-2 TO FENERBAHCE!!!  THE TURKS TAKE ANOTHER LEAD!!! CAN THEY HOLD IT THIS TIME?!?!

235e4b229962a1667b42440606922957.jpg

Half-time in extra time.  Both sides are exhausted.  An entire season has led up to this.  15 minutes.  Who will go home covered in glory?  Who will fall at the final hurdle?!  Who is going to bring me another beer?!?!?!?!

5b200bd67fba351640dc6024f1e66566.jpg 

114th minute!!! This is like 2 weary prizefighters, battling over the last porkchop on Christmas Eve!!!  Wild haymakers are being thrown, but neither can land a knockout blow!!!

Back and forth...loose ball, touched to Donald who launches a ball over the top Stevenson...Knight rushing out...who will get there first...STEPHENSON!!! HE'S THROUGH CLEAN ON GOAL AND DOESN'T MISS!!!!  4-2 FENERBAHCE!!!! THAT HAS TO BE THE MATCH!!!!  STEVENSON THE HAT TRICK HERO!!!

339c8435a4655844894968ebba05e8a4.gif 

As the clock winds down in injury time, Crawford finds Cagatay breaking into the channel...THAT'S 5!!!  TELLEUS IS ON HIS KNEES IN THE TECHNICAL AREA!!! INCREDIBLE SCENES HERE IN ITALY!!!

df90b17b8b528a5cd316e83357eb717e.jpg

INSULT TO INJURY FOR POOR TOTTENHAM!  REACHING THE FINAL FOR A SECOND TIME, TO FACE THE GIANT THAT IS TELLEUS!  DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN!

THAT'S THE WHISTLE!!!  TELLEUS' MEN ARE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!  CAN THIS MAN DO NOTHING WRONG?!?!?! 

33dd7a1acd6bf1f47073c3f3e788229e.jpg 2d63793a6f8e7ef0f1c376d731f4e18d.jpg

TELLEUS ON THE PITCH WITH HIS SIDE, PARADING THE TROPHY FOR THE TURKISH SUPPORT -- CLAD IN AN ARRAY OF KILTS, SCOTTISH WIGS, VIKING HELMETS AND REPLICA KITS!  FOR THE FIRST TIME, THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TROPHY WILL BE HEADING TO TURKEY!

RUNNERS-UP 4 YEARS AGO TO TELLEUS' WEST HAM, THEY HIRED THE ENIGMATIC, CHARISMATIC SWEDE AND NOW STAND ATOP EUROPE!  A TREBLE FOR TELLEUS!!!

e7331d03432a1e6adf931163b20a5996.png

693bfc42a6e3b72a533538d126a0af71.png

0d667b075e56d56e6551a0af42697bc1.png

da6e30f108477c5df904ce7b6214f00c.png

Alright. I am WAY past my time for the night...and the 5am alarm is going to come very early. :lol:

More to follow tomorrow night -- a season review, Telleus' departure from Istanbul, and...additional insanity.

Frankly, this is insane.  I had planned another 2-3 years at Fener, taking the time to continue building up some of the Scottish youth...and FFS we have some amazing kids coming in!

It's very bittersweet, as Fener ranks right at the top clubs in the save in terms of my personal enjoyment.  Not quite on par with Malmo and Fiorentina, but alongside Leeds, Frankfurt and Stade de Reims.

Excellent work - it was definitely a nice change of pace sticking at a club for 4 years, but your success will forever be your burden! On to the next...

Congratulations! How many CL wins have you now? I'll miss Fener, they were definitely one of the best chapters of this save. As you said, they weren't quite up there with Malmö and Fiorentina but they were as fun to read about as Leeds, Frankfurt, SdR and Brugge.

7 hours ago, Joe. said:

Excellent work - it was definitely a nice change of pace sticking at a club for 4 years, but your success will forever be your burden! On to the next...

Thanks, man! Hakan is going to focus on Scotland for the immediate future, though. At least that's the plan...

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

On the 90 minute break before ET: "Lads, it's Spurs." :brock:

I should've said it again. I feel shame for not having done that...

6 hours ago, andychar said:

I am surprised that I'm still surprised with your ability to smash out Champions Leagues wins.

Thanks, man! Remember, Fener was in the final only a few years back so it isn't like this side was built from scratch. Very little domestic competition, too. We just hit a vein of form - I really saw this year as a stepping stone, with the squad next season (including the summer signings screenshotted above) being the start of my true push, with an eye on 2057 or 2058.

Best laid plans...

4 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Congratulations! How many CL wins have you now? I'll miss Fener, they were definitely one of the best chapters of this save. As you said, they weren't quite up there with Malmö and Fiorentina but they were as fun to read about as Leeds, Frankfurt, SdR and Brugge.

That's 11: Malmo, Fiorentina, Gladbach, Leeds, Saint-Etienne, Stade de Reims, Frankfurt, Brugge, West Ham, Monaco, and Fenerbahce.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Smashed them in the end! Just another day at the office.

The end was brutal.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Rikulec said:

:applause:

Thanks, man! 

1 hour ago, DodgeeD said:

tumblr_n4sxuaF56S1sc1d6bo1_400.gif

The party begins in Kadiköy!

Leto and Ludwig are bringing the beer...

Edited by ManUtd1

What a triumph! I wasn't sure it was going to be as straightforward this time, but of course you've defied everyone's expectations. Congratulations to the Boys from the Bosphorus!

Blare this through the city!

3 minutes ago, DodgeeD said:

The Hakan Telleus Champions League After Party:

"I'm drinking tonight."

:)

That sounds like the kind of song you'd hear on FIFA05

1 minute ago, DodgeeD said:

I think it was released around the mid-2000s so that makes sense

Yeah, I was mostly mentioning it because the vocal style is very similar to the kind of songs they were using in mid-2000s FIFA, now of course it's a lot more mainstream.

3 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

Yeah, I was mostly mentioning it because the vocal style is very similar to the kind of songs they were using in mid-2000s FIFA, now of course it's a lot more mainstream.

FIFA was always mainstream music wise, but maybe more British/European back then.

Just now, ManUtd1 said:

Didn't Morning Runner disband pretty quickly? I swear I've got a few EPs somewhere, maybe one album, but that's it.

Yeah, but later on "Gone Up in Flames" became The Inbetweeners theme song, so that kind of kept them in the mainstream for a few years after they broke up

1 minute ago, ManUtd1 said:

Great tunes, @oriole01, @BoxToBox and @DodgeeD! The party is Istanbul is in full swing, even though everyone knows that Hakan will resign in the morning.

Didn't Morning Runner disband pretty quickly? I swear I've got a few EPs somewhere, maybe one album, but that's it.

About four or five years.

54 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

Yeah, but later on "Gone Up in Flames" became The Inbetweeners theme song, so that kind of kept them in the mainstream for a few years after they broke up

I'd forgotten that...now the theme song won't get out of my head.

54 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

About four or five years.

I'm going to do some reading later tonight, pull up their tunes again.

You took the ****ing jam outta my doughnut, Tommy. You did.

Fenerbahçe / Scotland

2054/55 Season Review

The party begins in Milan and continues into (and through) the night.

Leto playing DJ.  Ludwig dancing like a man possessed.  The squad elated, celebrating with family and friends.  The supporters outside proud beyond belief…the lucky few who make it past security even more so, as the players refuse to let them be kicked out.  These are the moments you live for, lads.

The party continues on the team bus to the airport, with many a supporter stowing away in the luggage … and others in the arms of the single members of the playing staff.  The flight?  More of the same.  Unbridled joy.  No one has slept.

We are greeted in Istanbul as conquering heroes.  An ocean of Fener surround the open-top bus, as we parade through the city, the trophy held aloft as we slowly make our way to the Şükrü Saracoğlu, where the real party is set to begin.

Throughout it all, I sit quietly.  Basking in the moment, but not getting caught up in the insanity.  I’m not numb to the scene, just trying to capture every moment in my mind’s eye.  It’s always over too quickly.

As we pull into the stadium, I meet the club directors one by one.  Shaking hands.  Nodding to each other.  No words are needed, to memorialize what we have accomplished or explain what we all know is coming next.  The Chairman pulls me into a bear hug, which I reciprocate.  He whispers that he doesn’t regret anything from the years we’ve had together.  An odd sentiment, but a heartfelt one.  I hand him an envelope, and he cocks his head to the side, as if thinking about making me “an offer I can’t refuse.” 

The moment passes.  A warm smile erupts as he puts his arm around me.   We make our way into the stadium together, arm in arm, where I’m slated to speak first.  My last official act as manager of this great club.  As the deafening roar of the crowd washes over me, I’m overcome with emotion.  One would think that it would be easy, after all this time, to speak the platitudes and walk off into the sunset.  But not when you’ve found a new place to call home.  Not when your heart and mind are at odds.

Maybe I’m not such a cynical bastard after all, eh, Apples?

Goals for 2055/56: Focus on Scotland.  Win the Nations League, qualify for the 2056 Euros and prepare for our assault on the 2058 World Cup in Japan.

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Süper Lig Fixtures|Champions League Fixtures|Türkiye Kupası Fixtures

Champions League Review

Detailed pretty thoroughly above, but here's the overview for this year.  Leipzig, ot nce again a hair's breadth away from becoming eligible, and Tottenham falling short at the final hurdle.

29fe7c6e3e32ab924a8c0351420ab14f.jpg f9da4e5b271fad0b61eaf7a557546b58.jpg

d9387229bf99e1e9822e10c99d40b219.jpg

Challenge Overview

63bea2ed830891c1117a2ff86f8428fe.png

e3cb81c43b59f634711d901298eda34d.png