How to break down 5 at the back? (And a couple of other Qs)

Hi guys,

So I am currently playing with Milan, and I have set up my tactic (and a slightly more defensive variation of it, with a DM instead of an AM). The season started well with 3 emphatic wins but the next couple of games were a loss and a draw to poor opposition. The problem I believe was the system they were playing. They had 3 CBs, 2 WBs and 2 CMs and it really just seemed to blunt our attack. While we had a fair amount of the ball, and a good number of shots, both of our strikers had an awful game and it just wasn't going our way. What can I do in games like this in order to make the breakthrough and beat opposition I should beat with ease?

This is how my tactic looks:

47206c2820dd56e4b91eacc396d8bd6e.png6226e7541755c15da74c5d529f97a8bb.png

The PIs I use:

Front 3 - Close down more

Wide CMs - Shoot less often

The idea of the tactic is that the front 3 aggressively close down, and the rest of the team push up to try and win it back high up. However:

-Other than my defenders, we don't seem to be making many interceptions. This doesn't really fit in to how I hoped the team would play

-The left striker often seems a bit absent. A lot of the attacking play goes through the False 9 (as I would expect), but the AF just seems to wander. This results in a low rating, although he will occasionally pop up with an assist.

-My defenders also seem to have fairly low pass completion, which is quite puzzling. I'm not sure if this has been every game as I've only noticed it once or twice

Any advice?

I would say that a 5 or 3 at the back formation would do well against your narrow formation.  They would pretty much be able to control the centre of the pitch or at least crowd it out making it very difficult for you to create much there. You are going 3 on 3 attack vs defence too, although your duties should possibly drag them about a bit. 

My advice however is more about if they are playing defensively or attacking. Sounds like they are sitting back. In which case that central area is very difficult for you to control. I would try to make more of the huge gaps down the flanks but adding an attack to one of your wingbacks, going a little wider and pulling your d-line back to create some more space and drag them out of their half.

When you watch the full game against 5-3-2 formation, you will find that the center is very crowded and I think the only way is to exploit the flanks.

Suppose your attackers passed the opponent's WB, their CB may rush to cover. I consider it the most efficient way to tear their team shape. 

9 hours ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

I would say that a 5 or 3 at the back formation would do well against your narrow formation.  They would pretty much be able to control the centre of the pitch or at least crowd it out making it very difficult for you to create much there. You are going 3 on 3 attack vs defence too, although your duties should possibly drag them about a bit. 

My advice however is more about if they are playing defensively or attacking. Sounds like they are sitting back. In which case that central area is very difficult for you to control. I would try to make more of the huge gaps down the flanks but adding an attack to one of your wingbacks, going a little wider and pulling your d-line back to create some more space and drag them out of their half.

I'd second what johnny said. In my experience, dropping your d-line, either manually or by lowering your mentality, can be an effective way of creating space against teams that are playing with lots of numbers centrally and/or deep. And your WBs are gonna be paramount as they are the ones who will find themselves in the most space. Also, dropping your d line will also give your more freedom to get forward and less worry of getting caught out.

The last thing I'd have suggested was getting roles in midfield that promote movement, but it looks like you've already got that covered.

I agree with what others have said. Best way to beat 5 at the back is to play wide because they will have 3 center backs crowding the middle but usually two high-flying wing backs which you can easily get behind.

In general too it seems to me that playing wide is very efficient in FM17 ;)  

Thank you guys!

I'll create a variation of the tactic for playing against these really defensive teams.

I am thinking of adding Play Wider, changing the duties of the wingbacks (potentially to CWB-S, or one to WB(A) and put the defender that is there to covering) and removing the Push Higher Up and/or lowering mentality to Standard and seeing how the game goes.

Archived