Tactics for amicable selling?

A question that might not have an answer but I'm intrigued to know peoples' thoughts. 

I'm just into the second off season managing Crystal Palace, and there are a few players that I'd quite like to sell but are fan favourites (Jason Puncheon and Scott Dann specifically). Both players could do a job, but I have better options as well as a few really good youth prospects I need to give game time to. 

I don't really want to whack them on the transfer list as it would probably cause a bit of a backlash from the dressing room and the fans. I also wouldn't mind keeping them on, but would prefer the money off the wage bill.

I do worry that we've made significant strides in the league (finished 6th this season) and in Europe (UEFA cup winners (!) having won the EFL cup in the first season), which means we can attract a better calibre of player. But if those players come and I still want to develop youth, there's going to be very little playing time for those players.

What would you do in this situation? I see a few options:

- transfer list / set to not needed - would probably sell but also create a backlash
- offer to clubs without listing - would that cause the same issue?
- set asking price at value - may take a while for any clubs to come in for them
- just not play the players until they ask for more playing time or a transfer - probably not great for dressing room morale.

How long is left on their contracts? The first thing I would be tempted to do is to let that run down. I would avoid offering them out, this can also cause a bit of unrest in the squad if the player is unhappy to be offered out.

Since you have young players, and these are older, more experienced guys, why not keep them around as backup players (change their roles) and use them to tutor the young players you want to give a chance to. This is how I usually deal with older players in my squads who are no longer first choice but have been good servants to the club. That way you are at least utilising them whilst not playing them. Seeing if you can renegotiate their contracts to be on lower wages with more performance related bonuses may also be a good idea.

I´m also in agreement with @sporadicsmiles, if they only have a year or two left on their contract I would consider just using them as backup or rotation players. It´s not easy to get rid of fan and club favourites, and if they can still do a job for you, why force them out? Just slowly but surely reduce their playing time. Also, I find if you are doing well in your competitions players complain less, so the new signings you make will help you with this. 

I've found with FM17, the best way - in as much as, for me, it's caused the least ramifications - is to offer out, without listing, and set the asking price an unspecified.

You tend to get offers at pretty much their value and I've not had any complaints other than in my monthly board review saying the fans are unhappy - despite replacing them with an upgrade

5 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

How long is left on their contracts? The first thing I would be tempted to do is to let that run down. I would avoid offering them out, this can also cause a bit of unrest in the squad if the player is unhappy to be offered out.

Since you have young players, and these are older, more experienced guys, why not keep them around as backup players (change their roles) and use them to tutor the young players you want to give a chance to. This is how I usually deal with older players in my squads who are no longer first choice but have been good servants to the club. That way you are at least utilising them whilst not playing them. Seeing if you can renegotiate their contracts to be on lower wages with more performance related bonuses may also be a good idea.

Thanks @sporadicsmiles, I think this is the route I'll go down. They only have between a year and two years on their contracts. The only problem with Dann is that he had a falling out with the youngster he was tutoring (who I've sent out on loan), so a bit reluctant to use him for tutoring.

12 hours ago, gunner86 said:

I've found with FM17, the best way - in as much as, for me, it's caused the least ramifications - is to offer out, without listing, and set the asking price an unspecified.

You tend to get offers at pretty much their value and I've not had any complaints other than in my monthly board review saying the fans are unhappy - despite replacing them with an upgrade

I have to thank you for this tip because I did not know this was possible. I have some domestic players that are fan favorites at relatively inflated transfer values that I could probably make a profit by replacing them with similar players at lower costs and this might be a strategy to achieve that.

Archived