Counteract Quick Technical Players

What is the best way to beat a team that is better than yours because all of there attacking players are quicker, good dribblers and technically superior in vision and flair.

Is it best to keep the shape or go and close them down quickly not giving them any time on the ball. When coming up against these teams I have used both methods both with not much success so I wondered what do others do. I know that there is no given rule of thumb but after different ideas to try out to counteract them

1 hour ago, wazza said:

What is the best way to beat a team that is better than yours because all of there attacking players are quicker, good dribblers and technically superior in vision and flair.

Is it best to keep the shape or go and close them down quickly not giving them any time on the ball. When coming up against these teams I have used both methods both with not much success so I wondered what do others do. I know that there is no given rule of thumb but after different ideas to try out to counteract them

I've run into this in my current save- I tried some different ways as you have. What has worked best for me is to try to funnel the most dangerous players into area of the pitch I am strong in. For example, a team with dangerous wingers I show into the center where I have a strong midfield. My wingbacks (in a 3-5-2) I set to ease of tackles and close down much less so they have space to keep the man in front and push him to the middle where my BW can take care of the threat. So, its something of a mix- identify who the biggest threats are, then use OI to manipulate where they get space (it's not 100%) but also you can close them down/hard tackle in certain parts of the pitch where the threat is less. Does this make sense?

23 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

I've run into this in my current save- I tried some different ways as you have. What has worked best for me is to try to funnel the most dangerous players into area of the pitch I am strong in. For example, a team with dangerous wingers I show into the center where I have a strong midfield. My wingbacks (in a 3-5-2) I set to ease of tackles and close down much less so they have space to keep the man in front and push him to the middle where my BW can take care of the threat. So, its something of a mix- identify who the biggest threats are, then use OI to manipulate where they get space (it's not 100%) but also you can close them down/hard tackle in certain parts of the pitch where the threat is less. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help I have tried this to some extent  - however the opposition player more often than not gets buy the player but have not adjusted the player instructions before on it which may help. I have only used team instructions of close down less and OI instructions of closed down never, tight mark never and easy tackling. I will give it ago with the extra settings you recommend

Archived