The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by coisty:

Anybody seen Lee Robinson play? Has joined us on loan to replace Mathers.

Seen Lee a few times.

Not the biggest goalie but always looked very confident and was competent in everything he did. Should do a decent job for you chaps and, in turn, that experience can only help his development for us...

icon_smile.gif

- LEE MCCULLOCH

OK, hasn't joined yet but we've agreed a fee with Wigan and he's a big Rangers fan so it's going to happen.

Ter, my good man, I thought you better than to believe Glasgow Press and a Player whoring for a move.

Apart from when he was playing football on play parks in a Motherwell top when he was 11, 12, 13, 14. He fell for Rangers when he joined Camburslang before moving on to Motherwell after declaring his love for them....

He is not a Rangers fan as you and most of those in here are, never has been.

pre-season matches began just 30 minutes ago - first up FC Guetersloh in Germany

RANGERS: McGregor, Hutton, Webster, Weir, Papac, Burke, Hemdani, Thomson, Beasley, Boyd, Gow

SUBS: G Smith, Murray, Cuellar, McCulloch, Ferguson, Sionko, Novo, Sebo, Fleck, Shinnie

1-0 after the first 25 minutes, Andy Webster scoring a header from a Burke FK icon14.gif

At least there seems to be a fair few options there. Be interesting to see how Walter goes when it comes to the real thing. Can see McGregor at least starting as no one, Hutton and when he's fit Smith as full backs, the central defense is interesting though, you'd think Cuellar would be in there with probably Webster and Weir kept as back up? Midfield with McCulloch and Burke wide, Thomson and Ferguson central and Beasely/Boyd up front probably looks the strongest to me but its nice to actually at least seem to have options.

Guest sav112

I’m a fan of Burke but I must emit he’s done nothing special yet. After the last few seasons I expect this season from him to produce the goods. It’s time some of that potential paid off.

Was talking to a few of the lads last night that were at the 9 in a Row game, sad to say most thought Albertz and Louders would walk into the first team right now!

Beasley I think will be a good signing along with Carroll and Cuellar.

I just wish we would pushed the boat out and got a stand out player.

• SI Staff

We're playing a German amateur team and it's 2-2 at half time icon_biggrin.gif

Sebo and Novo (pen) getting the goals. Apparently Cuellar was at fault for their first goal.

Team: Smith, Murray, Webster, Cuellar, Papac, Sionko, Ferguson, Adam, McCulloch, Novo, Sebo

Fleck \o/ icon_cool.gif

I still don't think McCulloch is worth £2.25m (or whatever we paid) but he's decent enough to do aright in the SPL - nice to see him getting a few goals and Sebo scoring as well icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by McD:

McCulloch paying back a huge whack of that transfer fee already.

not in a pre-season friendly he's not

if it was the winner against Celtic or the goal to secure CL stage qualification, then yeah that would be

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

McCulloch paying back a huge whack of that transfer fee already.

not in a pre-season friendly he's not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tongue was firmly in cheek, mate.

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

WTF when I saw this earlier I didn't expect it to be us involved.

Hopefully its nothing

Maybe they're looking into the Mcculloch, police are probably baffled as to why we're paying so much money for him and they can only accept something is going on. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jorg:

Maybe something to do with Souness when he was at Newcastle? Wouldn't be a huge surprise.

That would include the Boumsong deal.

What's dodgy about that. We got a fair price considering how good he was. Souness dodgy as **** though. Probably more to do with what Obi-Wan said tbh.

Having digested the news a bit I don't think this will affect us as such. Why would Bain need a bung for us to sell Boumsong as suggested? That was going to happen with our debts and the money on offer. I would assume that any dodgy money was shared by Souness and Mackay. So the police are maybe just looking into how much we recieved compared to how much Newcastle 'spent'.

well it ended 1-0 to Hannover 96, a really jammy goal that deflected off Weir and outfoxed McGregor

plus points - Beasley looked class in the first half, I think he could be a bit lightweight for the hackers league or the SPL, but I'm happy with his pacey and trickery icon14.gif Darcheville looks great as well, bit of an edge to him, but has the pace and guile to go past players and can hold the ball up icon_cool.gif

Cuellar looked comfortable in defence, infact most of the defence in both halves looked fine - Hannover at the same sort of time as us in pre-season so that's probably why the game was played in a relaxed manner, although it got a bit techy towards the end. McCulloch and Thomson deserve pass marks as well and if we could just get some service to Boyd then we'll see the goals from him

negative points - Chris Burke was abysmal in that first half, gave the ball away about 7-8 times and his crossing doesn't seem to have improved and somebody mentioned that the midfield of Ferguson, Hemdani and Thomson is stagnant and doesn't provide the service/creativity needed. I agree with that one, no 4-5-1 formations this year Walter and if Buffel could actually decide he wants to play this year, he could be the player we need to fill that creative void especially with players like Beasley and JCD providing the pace to get past defenders

unlikely Buffel will though icon_frown.gif

ah, knew I'd forget someone icon_biggrin.gif

yeah Papac looked good in the first half as well, really developed in the last few months icon14.gif Stevie Smith probably got a job on his hands getting that LB role back

Yeah JCD looked good. Wish Walt would try and partner Boyd with him as he tried the flicks and stuff. One up front and five in midfield is proven to not work for us. McCullloch looked ok too, didn't look out of place. Papac was also pretty decent and seemed comfortable with Beasley which bodes well. Would have liked to have seen Sebo today against some decent opposition. Bit of a concern was a few players getting tempremental which needs sorting (I'm looking at you JCD).

JCD stamping on Hoffmans balls though icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

We're too slow in midfield and I would get lynched on FF for this but Ferguson is the main reason. I agree over the concern on JCD's temprement it may be a weakness for him as I can see him being targetted alot early in games.

wouldn't get lynched here mate and some people on FF would say the same

I'm quite worried about the creativity, even though it's pre-season. We really do have to play 4-4-2 next season to make the chances and score goals as 4-5-1 just didn't work at all last season

despite the fact that Baz can be good on his day, I wouldn't bother if we tried using Hemdani and Thomson in midfield with an attacking midfielder in the mix to create chances for the attack, Baz can really only pass sideways anyway icon_frown.gif and he can't really shoot

we caved in then - not sure if I'm happy about that or not

although looking at how crappy Burke looked today, maybe I am icon_biggrin.gif although even though I've used Naismith as an AMR in FM, I don't think it's a good idea to think of using him there

West Ham new-boy Julien Faubert could be a doubt for the start of the new season after suffering an ankle injury.

The 23-year-old France midfield man was carried off in the 1-0 friendly defeat in Austria against Czechs Sigma Olomuc.

Faubert, a £6.1m signing from Bordeaux, left the ground with his leg in a brace and will undergo test to determine the extent of his problem on Wednesday.

West Ham fear Faubert could face a lengthy injury lay-off in a major blow for boss Alan Curbishley.

TF we didn't get him. Especially if we were to spend that kind of money on him.

Archived