The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see from the Rangers website that UEFA will not make any punishment for Juninho's dive because the outcome wasn't affected by it! If it had led to a goal or a penalty, they would have??. What kind of flawed logic is that? The guy cheated, got Weir booked for making no contact, but they wont punish him because they didn't score from it? They also say that there is no mechanism for Weir to appeal against his booking ( altho they accept that there was no contact ) so that stands! This is UEFA logic at its illogical best.

Hemdani was excellent agin on Tuesday- I wonder if he will get a game today?

OR more to the point they won't punish him because he has a bigger reputation and UEFA are bunch of sycophantic idiots. Surely if they really are serious about stamping out cheating in the game, its exactly people like Juninho who should be being hammered.

UEFA so clueless.

Daresay someone will find something. Didn't really see it overly clearly myself first time round, too engrossed in the match icon_wink.gif but have seen the game twice no on Rangers TV and there is simply no contact made at all. Perhaps he hit the bat on purpose after that.

It was quite a similar dive I think to the Lithuanian bloke against Scotland, the old 'I felt contact so I went down' crap. Can't overly blame the referee this time though - the Scotland game referee had a clear view, here it might have looked to the ref as Juninho had indeed been tripped.

Anyway it came nothing, but thats really not the point. Not that UEFA will ever get the point tbh.

from the camera angle, it looked like Juninho has been tripped, then you got the angle that was infront of him and you saw he was cheating and made a blatant dive

anyway, Hibs today, starting lineup a bit strange:

revised list above

McGregor

Hutton

Weir

Cueller

Papac

Hemdani

Thomson

Ferguson

Adam

Whittaker

Boyd

3 scorers from Tuesday on the bench, bit strange icon_frown.gif hardly any forward line there as well, unless Ferguson is going to be supporting Boyd

451 at home is alright if you have two pacey dangerous players out wide so its more a 433 when attacking but whittaker and adam certainly wont possess that threat. boyd needs alot of support to function to his best abilty also.

whats wrong with novo, burke, gow, etc... to play out wide at home.

Originally posted by HD:

Unlucky. Hibs too good. icon_biggrin.gif

both teams done pish all in the game, playing 4-5-1 at home in the SPL is completely stupid, although Hibs don't exactly deserve anything as they've been stifling most of the time

just a McGregor mistake it seems led to the goal

Originally posted by Ter:

Too defensive. Boyd up front on his own is just madness. Shocked that Beasley and Novo aren't even on the bench.

well the reason for that is due to the U21 rule mostly, but also Faye must have pictures of Walter or something

get the subs on now and change the formation icon_mad.gif

Either Smith is trying to be a smart-ass or he believes Hibs are up there with the likes of Lyon, Stuggart and Red Star with this 1 up front bolloxs.

Unbelievable he is only playing Boyd up front - he was quoted in the paper today saying Body was better with a partner. Madness!

I think he wants to be Rafa at Liverpool, too bad we don't have the squad for that

I know McCulloch etc looked a bit tired on Tuesday night, but surely players can recover in about 3 days?

two words: abysmally pish icon13.gif

stop tinkering with the team Walter when you don't have to and stop playing Boyd upfront when he can't play it without a partner

Hibs did absolutely nothing as well and scored icon14.gif

And what I said the other week about concentrating on the league thanks very much Walter if you'd be so kind.

we'll probably end up beating Celtic and then drawing with Barcelona (maybe) icon_wink.gif and then losing the next SPL game (which I think is against Dundee Utd) icon14.gif

consistency is the way you win leagues and these "Euro hangovers" are not acceptable, although it's not exactly a hangover when you don't even play the players who scored your 3 goals in Europe during the week

Originally posted by kerrski:

Not too bothered. If some-one said to me at the start of the week that we would beat Lyon 3-0 and loose to Hibs 1-0 i would have taken it!

Lets just hope were back on form for our next game!

I don't agree at all, the SPL is our bread and butter and Europe is just a bonus where we can get money - would have taken the loss in Lyon and a win against Hibs

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kerrski:

Not too bothered. If some-one said to me at the start of the week that we would beat Lyon 3-0 and loose to Hibs 1-0 i would have taken it!

Lets just hope were back on form for our next game!

I don't agree at all, the SPL is our bread and butter and Europe is just a bonus where we can get money - would have taken the loss in Lyon and a win against Hibs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more TM. Bitterly disappointed with todays result. Walter is like Frank Rijkaard in Europe and Paul LeGuen Domestically. Whats going on? Where do we go from here? Surely 451 at home is not the answer.

Another disappointing domestic result, but I think we have to cool things a bit as regards the barrage of criticism that's being dished out every time we lose a game.

It's a long season, teams like Hearts, Motherwell and Hibs are looking fresh at the moment, really up for it (especially at the prospect of taking us down a peg or two after the CL games!) and we're struggling a bit for consistency and rythym. Those things will come, our pool is massive and will cope far better than these teams as the season progresses.

Celtic have their own concerns. If we can stay within touching distance by February, March, which I believe we will do, then we can start to think about getting this title back. No point in all the negativity quite yet.

Tbh I think we're all missing the point here. We played 4-5-1 in Lyon and won. We will play 4-5-1 against Barca and probably Celtic. It's not the formation per se, it's the players.

Either they have decided domestic football is too easy and couldn't care less, or there is simply too much chopping and changing up front. Also of course, Boyd up front on his own simply does not work.

Hibs on the other had are a decent team, ok mibbe we shouldn't be losing at home but even so. I think McD makes good point, there will be a lot more dropped points in this league. Apparantly there was some idiot on the radio calling for Walter to be sacked. Where do these people get off ffs.

Another disappointing domestic result, but I think we have to cool things a bit as regards the barrage of criticism that's being dished out every time we lose a game.

my problem with today's game was I could sort of see it coming from the formation and the personnel who was in the starting lineup, Walter has already said he knows Boyd needs a partner upfront or he does not function - what does he do? he plays one upfront against Hibs with Barry as support (and hardly any support as he had to be used in midfield)

playing high balls into Boyd doesn't work when (a he can't really control a ball well and (b Rob Jones is a giant who will stop pretty much anything that's put up high

no calls for Walter to go at all from me as the guy has just got us one of our best ever results in Europe, but I'd rather more care was taken with the SPL as that is the thing that allows us to get into the CL. Yup, I do agree that points will get dropped by others, but we need the consistency earlier, not later as later is when it's too late

Hibs practically did nothing today except stick to a gameplan and came away with 3 points after probably their 2nd or 3rd shot on target - Boyd didn't really get much of a chance today because he wasn't supported and he's not that sort of player (as has been said and discussed on FF after every match he doesn't score in)

just frustrated that we will probably go into the OF game 3 behind, probably end up winning that, doing something against Barca - and then failing again in the next SPL game

The criticism of the syestem that was played yesterday is more of the players in the system than the formation itself. If Hemdani was playing the holding role, then it would be a 4-1-4-1 system and the 2 wide men in the middle are there to provide attacking support and goalscoring opportunities for the lone striker. I cannot see that Whittaker and Adam have the abilities to be out and out attackers and , as has been said ofetn before, Boyd is not the type of striker who can play up front on his own. He is an out and out goal poacher , like McCoist was, and you would have never considered playing McCoist on his own up front.

I agree that we shouldn't get too carried away by the result because Hibs are probably a better team than we give them credit for but it is increasingly frustrating that teams can come to Ibrox and continually frustrate and we dont have the guile to get round that.

If it has to be 4-5-1, then we have to have the right people for the job

Guest sav112

I think some are being blinded by European results, it’s only been Hearts, Motherwell and now Hibs. Is that bells I hear. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by TM:

I don't agree at all, the SPL is our bread and butter and Europe is just a bonus where we can get money - would have taken the loss in Lyon and a win against Hibs

I agree. Theres no point making it to the last 16 or last 8 in the Champions League if all we can do is finish 3rd in the league. It's going to be difficult with the internationals thrown in this week breaking up the timetable, but hopefully all the players now realise they must give 100% in every game they play or any complacenty will get punished.

• SI Staff

Tempted to get a season ticket. 311 quid and that will get me two Celtic games and I'll go to some others as well. Can charge my mate to go when I can't make it as well, but I can probably do one match a month at least.

Originally posted by batch:

Just wondering if Super Lee has won over those that were critical of the price paid or not ?

still reckon it was a bit too much, but there was no denial of how decent he was

I though the rangers players all contributed well to the good Scotland result yesterday. Hutton is undoubtedly improving and maturing at inmetrnational level and now doesnt look at all out of place- he can make that position his own for a long time

Weir was his usual steady and reliable self

Ferguson waas quietly effective despite playing deeper than maybe he likes top play

McCulloch again did a lot of great work off the ball and took his goal superbly- pity that he and Fergie got booked for dissent, which is unforgivable IMO, regardless of the justification.

Praise to McLeish as well because 2 of the goals were straight off the training ground and he really has got them well organised and playing to their strengths. They will always be outplayed by classy teams but at the moment thaye are not being overwhelmed by them- long may it continue.

Rangers' DaMarcus Beasley could be doubtful for Saturday's first Old Firm derby of the season.

The winger limped off with an apparent ankle injury after half an hour of the USA's friendly against Switzerland.

Beasley was clattered by former Celtic trialist David Degan in the fourth minute, tried to play on but eventually was replaced in the USA's 1-0 victory

Hope he is fit to play atleast a part, His pace in behind could prove important.

Archived