The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Great win against Werder Bremen last week. I missed both goals though as I was spewing up in the toilet both times icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

Was out in Spain near Barcelona and was good to see loads of "them" greeting about getting beat by Barcelona, then us winning against Bremen then them nearly getting beat by Aberdeen. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Haz:

people talking about potential draws for the next round etc is bad karma...more pessimism in here please

icon_biggrin.gif

No pessimism required - just realism...

We're doing well enough but we'll need to do even better if we're to win anything this season. The foundation is now there - I just hope we can build on it. Going through tonight and winning the league cup on Sunday would really help us out in that regard!

Excited about tonight, should be a cracker, as everyone has said Bremen are a top class side and Walter and the lads will be well aware that they will be out with a huge point to prove after those results.

Not sure if we will do it but we have given ourselves a good platform to build on from the 1st leg, Hopefully we can do the same job on Diego that we did in the 1st leg, if we can then we will have a good chance, when Diego was losing his way the team did.

Shoot on sight again though, Weise will be nervy as hell, any early chances around the box just have to be let go in the hope he makes another error.

Muzza, I think we can do it, although it may not be pretty a times our play away from home in europe at times has been something that others have found hard to play against. One things for sure, the end of the season is building up to be an absolute cracker for us.

I'm positive that 1) Bremen wont score 3 or more and 2) we'll score 1 at least.

So at the end of the night we should be looking at being in contention for 4 trophies still.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

people talking about potential draws for the next round etc is bad karma...more pessimism in here please

icon_biggrin.gif

No pessimism required - just realism...

We're doing well enough but we'll need to do even better if we're to win anything this season. The foundation is now there - I just hope we can build on it. Going through tonight and winning the league cup on Sunday would really help us out in that regard! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd happily get ****ed in the tinpot cup final if we can win tonight.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Muzza, I think we can do it, although it may not be pretty a times our play away from home in europe at times has been something that others have found hard to play against. One things for sure, the end of the season is building up to be an absolute cracker for us.

I'm positive that 1) Bremen wont score 3 or more and 2) we'll score 1 at least.

So at the end of the night we should be looking at being in contention for 4 trophies still.

Oh i do think we have a real good chance, I just know that Bremen are a top side who will really come at us from the off.

We are however very solid at the back these days (oh how nice it is to say that)I too would be shocked if they score 3. If we can keep them out until half time I'd be very confident that as they start throwing people forward we can catch them on the counter.

Its going to be good thats for sure.

If we go three up in the first ten minutes, I'll start to believe we can go through. Unfortunately such is the way of things, being Scottish and all, it could be nil all going into injury time and they could score three times.

My main worry is that we don't have a cutting edge playing the 4-5-1 without Cousin or JCD, he'll probably play McCulloch in the centre and tbh I just don't think he's as effective. I'd probably play Novo actually, the German defence is huge and he could slip between their legs icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

I'm resorting to watching the game in the hoose as I can't be far from a toilet for extended periods of time. Dunno if that's because of the game or the Spanish tummy icon_wink.gif

apprehensive about tonight if I'm honest, I just hope we don't go there to defend because we will get done

defence and midfield are going to have to play brilliantly tonight and whoever is upfront will have to hold it up/maybe have to get a goal

shouldn't be saying this but if we do score, I think that's it as I cannot see us losing 4 goals - but it all depends how the team is set up and how our defence/midfield do against Bremen who will more than likely be attacking from the start

would just like to be in a UEFA Cup QF/SF draw tbh, even if we didn't go any further in the tournament after tonight, it would be class to be involved in that draw - last time I remember talking about us at that late stage in Europe was 15 years ago with the CL group involving Marseille, CSKA and Brugge. Celtic fans got to enjoy it just 5 years ago and I and pretty much the whole Rangers faithful would love to be in that company icon14.gif

• SI Staff

Yeah, it's going to be tough tonight. Both us and Werder know what we have to do and Everton showed last night that a two goal lead isn't much. An early goal against and we could collapse. An away goal for us and it could kill the tie.

They are going to have to produce their best European performance of the season to go through tonight though, their previous results at home are:

2-1 v Dinamo Zagreb

1-3 v Olympiakos

2-1 v Lazio

3-2 v Real Madrid

In their league their home form has been flaky with early season results like:

0-4 v Bayern

4-1 v Stuttgart

8-1 v Armenia Bielefeld

1-2 v Bochum

They've won their last two home matches 2-0 (Against Dortmund and Nurnberg) so it's going to be an interesting tie.

It's the Olympiacos result that gives me hope. But my fears are same as TM, we cannot sit back and defend for 90 minutes no way Jose, yet I fully expect that is what Walter will try and do :/

We've never been in the UEFA cup last eight, but then we've rarely been in the UEFA Cup compared to Champions/CWC I suppose. It's going to be a nail biting night for sure. I had a sneaky feeling we could win the 1st leg, and I just about feel we can do this, but it needs a supreme effort from the lads, no complacency and no dithering about. If they give the effort and do us proud, I'll be happy.

this is what I was fearing, we are very very deep, not holding onto the ball and showing nothing in attack icon13.gif

the midfield must get a hold of the ball ffs, the defence is good, but it can't hold on all night with constant attacks

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Very nervy start. Can't get the ball at the moment, dunno why we're persisting with long goal-kicks, just handing them back posession.

Yep, this isn't going to work if we keep hoofing it to Novo.

That was a good move though, we passed it well in the first leg and need to do that again tonight.

ref being called "strong" but why isn't he booking any Bremen players for diving?

"strong" would be going ahead and dishing the punishment, which he isn't doing

shame Diego doesn't get injured so he'd actually have a reason for going down on the ground, diving arse

very uncomfortable first half, McGregor the star so far with some vital saves icon14.gif

I guess gaps might open up when Bremen have to go for it, but at the moment we aren't looking like we could counter to get that goal

need more from midfield to help Nacho and the defence by keeping the ball, pretty much keeping losing it and putting the defence under pressure

As expected really, disappointed with a few of the passes Barry has tried to make so far.

McGregor has done well when called upon but nothing spectacular needed so far.

More of the same please, hopefully be able to catch them on the break a bit

shame Diego doesn't get injured so he'd actually have a reason for going down on the ground, diving arse

Almeida is a million times worse tbh.

Ok the good: McGregor has been immense. Thats it. Oh and Adam's been booked so if we do get through this he misses the next match. He's been as poor in this match as I've seen him.

The bad: Sitting way too deep, giving away possession far too easily and I don't know what Barry Ferguson is doing but finding your own players with the ball would be a good idea now and then.

However, it's 0-0, still in the driving seat. Just keep the head really, keep the ball and hope the ref stays strong and starts booking some divers as TM says.

• SI Staff

I thought the ref has been pretty solid so far.

So hard to watch this. They look like they are going to score every time they come forward. They were causing us more problems from the cross balls than trying to come through the middle later in the half.

We need to stop giving the ball away as well. Ferguson, Adam and Broadfoot being the main culprits. Davis again, has been excellent. McGregor outstanding again.

The central midfield 3 have been woeful. None of them have gotten tight to Jensen or Diego and none of them have even got close to Novo. Although Novo is well out of his depth on his own up there. A dreadful performance all round.

Archived