The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Like I say, no matter who was (and still is) to blame for our current troubles, the loyalty of the fans cannot be questioned.

indeed, but I can see some breaks in loyality if things continue in the same vein, although I guess the reason why we are putting in small bids is simply because we don't have the cash or are trying to save it

I don't think Murray thought that Rangers fans would go as far to protest outside Ibrox for him to go as like happened last year, and if the team's fortunes on the field plus whoever we buy this summer isn't enough, those fans will probably be ready to tell him what they think

I agree with what we are doing with Naismith though, even though they feel we "stole" Kris Boyd, you shouldn't be going public with whatever a club has offered and tell the ins and outs of it to hang out your dirty linen in public icon13.gif Walter told them off for that one though icon_cool.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the fans won't stay patient forever and I know for a fact that SDM didn't enjoy the protests last year. If the status quo continues then those kind of protests probably won't be far away.

However, so far this summer, I agree with how we've handled our transfer dealings (apart from our initial offer for Naismith).

- Brown was too expensive in terms of the fee and his wages. He may turn out to be worth it but I feel the risk is too much.

- Faubert could perhaps have been completed quicker to avoid other parties getting involved but again we didn't have the funds to spend over £6million on one player.

- Naismith isn't about Boyd but more about what happened with Rory Loy apparently. Although I don't blame Killie for wanting to maximise the fee, once again, I don't think he's worth £2million plus add ons. There are alternatives although it wouldn't surprise me to still see him at Ibrox.

The other signings - while hardly inspirational - I'm reasonably happy with. As long as they are supplemented with another 3 players - one more striker (be it Naismith or whoever); one more creative right-sided player (be it Whittaker or someone else) and another full back (possibly Konchelsky) to increase cover in the position.

If we can do that the pressure will ease on all of us - most of all the chairman and board of directors. We are actively trying to do that and the quicker we get results the better our chances of CL group stage qualification and domestic success.

Can understand to some extent the fans' frustration over our transfer policy, but I think all the huffing and puffing was going to happen with pretty much whoever we brought in. Folk had the white flags out before the window even opened, and while Mr Burns and Smithers must certainly bear responsibility, the support has to be more patient and realistic regarding our frugality.

Its clear our summer philosophy has been adding depth and longevity to a threadbare squad, not just bringing in 2 or 3 big names. Apart from perhaps Papac and Furman, PLG's signings didn't work out so that's a fair few gaps WS has had to plug. If that means decent, cheap players like Broadfoot, Gow and Darcheville being given a chance and creating more competition for places then I think its the best we can hope for atm. Some of the criticism the new signings have attracted without even having pulled on the jersey has been very poor.

As for Naismith, I haven't really changed my stance from yesterday. Good young prospect, will beat a man, eye for goal, most likely better than who we have, but not the only option and not the biggest loss we've incurred in the market this summer. And I'm not sure how the current impasse is a 'victory' for anyone. Rangers want him, the player wants to come and Kilmarnock want to sell, so, from where I'm standing, that's three losers currently. This whole protracted business hasn't shown up either club in the best of lights. The sooner its over...

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Finished 2-2

Laudrup and Huistra for the legends, Frank 'whaurs tha burds' McAvennie(pen) and Brian Irvine for the league.

Nice one. Just looking at some of the pics on FF at the moment. Lauders looks very fit. He'd do a better job than Sebo. what age is he now?

38, get him signed up for a year icon_biggrin.gif

I see an Albertz long ranger led to the first goal, how I wish we had that goal threat from our midfield now icon_frown.gif Adam does aright, but he's not the Hammer

Rangers have signed Austria Under-18 midfielder Marco Michetschlager on a six-month loan and sent goalkeeper Lee Robinson to Morton for the coming season.

Michetschlager's deal with Rangers expires in January and he joins from Admira Wacker, having starred in their under-17 team last season. The 17-year-old will become a member of the Rangers under-19 squad.

Originally posted by Walrus:

Is it going to sell out for our friendly in July? Hope so coz I can't wait to see a packed Ibrox.

Not actually certain at this stage mate.

As it stands Raners are currently only selling tickets for the Chelsea game as a 2-match package with our friendly with Ajax. Not the end of the world you say but the Ajax game is on a Tuesday night and many people (including myself) can't make that game.

As such, although sales for the 2-match package are probably very good, I doubt the game will sell out unless they split the package up to single games. That will probably happen nearer the time.

I'm sure it will be a great day nonetheless. icon14.gif

Must admit £2million is a lot for the likes of McCulloch. I'd have thought there were better players for that money out there but as Sebo showed last season, that's not always the case.

McCulloch will bring a bit of physical presence to the team and considering the number of times teams battered through us last season (until Weir arrived to help), bringing in him to play up front or in a wider, deeper role isn't that bad an idea.

Let's wait until the end of the season before we judge his contribution.

Actually think Sebo if played might be ok this season, think the 1.8 million was merited originally due to him being leading goal scorer in austria (correct if wrong) and young.

Mculloch on the other hand is what 29 or something like that and at 2 million seems an awfully big stretch of the "tight funds". Dont deny we need some more players but we should of just offered 2 Million for Naismith as he is quite verstitle.

The talk of physical presence well I am expecting that from the likes of culler and broadfoot both pretty big guys. Not on the wings obvioulsy but when did you need big bulky guys on the wings.

• SI Staff

If we were getting McCulloch for between Free and £500k then fair enough, but £2m is far far too much, although he is at a Premiership team where the valuation of players is just crazy.

Would be interesting to see a list of Rangers players and their current "value" then try and compare them to similar Premiership players and work out what their Premiership value would be.

Are you busy Frankie? icon_wink.gif

Sebo wasn't the top scorer in Austria. He did have a good tally the season before with Artmedia though. I can't see him featuring much this season.

When I talk about physical presence, I mean in offensive areas mainly. Boyd's a great poacher but it was obvious any time Prso was injured we struggled to retain possession because we were too light-weight up front.

Similarly, when we were pushed back teams bullied us in many parts of the pitch because the work-rate of Adam (and Burke when he played) wasn't good enough.

McCulloch will give us that presence and uindustry whereever we choose to use him. Sure, he's not the most glamorous of signings but I think we needed that type of player.

Now, for a genuine creative player and another striker then we'll be doing pretty well.

icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff
Actually think Sebo if played might be ok this season, think the 1.8 million was merited originally due to him being leading goal scorer in austria (correct if wrong) and young.

Pretty sure he was nowhere near top scorer in Austria at all. He scored a load of goals for that pub team that put Celtic out and we drew with in the Champions League, so hardly prolific at a high level.

Sebo was nothing short of mince last season. He tries hard, but I could go out there and try hard, it doesn't mean I'm going to be good. icon_wink.gif

If we get any offers of money we should take it IMO

Dunno like, where you at Ibrox for the Killie 3-0 game? perfect example of he just needs to find his feet icon_smile.gif

The main problem was that he was hyped up so much in the papers with the transfer saga, so he came and we expected some sort of goal machine. A Marco Negri character.

I do admit a decent enough offer we should accept though just think it wouldnt be a bad thing to keep him for another season.

does anyone rate McCulloch?

He's decent in the air and from what i've seen of him at Wigan and playing for Scotland he puts himself about a bit and scores a couple of goals which is a bonus.

His crossing isn't the best and isn't exactly skillful

Hardly £2m worth, is it going to be £2m?

How much will he likely be on a week with us?

Originally posted by Ter:

Sebo was nothing short of mince last season. He tries hard, but I could go out there and try hard, it doesn't mean I'm going to be good. icon_wink.gif

If we get any offers of money we should take it IMO

if you get offered chewing gum for sebo you should take it tbh.

and lee mcculloch ffs? icon13.gif

Work dammit

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Hutton Weir Cueller Papac

Hemdani

Ferguson

Beasley McCulloch

Darcheville Boyd

</pre>

So that looks like what we'll be looking at, at the start of the season. Unless Smith is fit and we sign Whitakker.

Squad beginning to take shape but still not sure about McCulloch. I still feel they need cover on the right side of defence if and when Hutton gets injured, as I am not convinced that Lowing will do, especially in Europe. Seem to have too many central defenders at the moment as well- perhapsd they might regret giving Ugo a deal till June 08 now.

• SI Staff

So, I thought I'd do a little squad preview of the coming season along with my estimated transfer fee wee could possibly get for the player were he to leave the club. I'll try to be realistic icon_wink.gif

01 - ALLAN MCGREGOR

Will have to be on top of his game this season with increased competition from new signings Roy Carroll and Graeme Smith. Can't afford to make any of the early season mistakes again or he could find himself losing his place in the team. Still seems a bit hesitant at times but is a great shot stopper and I think he'll have another good season.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.4m

02 - ALAN HUTTON

Was the number one target of the boo boys in the earlier part of the season but once he found some form he was excellent and hopefully he can continue this into the new season. We probably need some backup in this position and it will be interesting if Whittaker signs as we do need some strength in this position as there are not many other options if Hutton gets injured.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.2m (rising if he keeps performing well)

03 - DAVID WEIR

Was exactly what we were lacking under Le Guen. We needed a leader at the back who will organise and control the defence. Was pretty solid and quietly did his job. He might not have the pace any more but he makes up for it with his experience and reading of the game. Will be another important player for us this season.

- First team regular

- Would leave on a free were he to go

04 - THOMAS BUFFEL

Now where do you start with this man. A massive disappointment through poor performances and injury since his move from Feyenoord a couple of years ago. He went through a good patch at the start of the 05/06 season before being injured but often games pass him by and he doesn't get involved enough. It's probably no co-incidence that some of his better performances have been in Europe where it suits his game more rather than the SPL. Would love to see him find his feet though as he obviously has the talent.

- Backup who will be sold if a good offer comes in

- Worth around £1.8m if we're lucky

05 - SASA PAPAC

Had a bit of a poor start where he looked lethargic and uninterested but came back into the team in the latter part of the season and played quite well mostly filling in at left back where he'll probably start the season if Smith is still out injured, which is looking increasingly likely.

- Squad player who will get his fair share of games

- Worth around £1m

06 - BARRY FERGUSON

Opinions seem split amongst the supporters with a lot still unable to forgive him for leaving in the first place and then the whole spat with Le Guen stuff. Putting all that aside, Ferguson hasn't quite got to the levels he was at prior to his departure but he has shown glimpses that he's still got it. He needs to leave some of the more defensive duties to others and concentrate on being the playmaker. Too many times he is dropping too deep and one of his main problems is that he always wants to be on the ball no matter where it is on the pitch. Hopefully we'll see the very best of Barry Ferguson next season (if he can stay off the Monster Munch)

- Will start every game he's fit for (and probably the ones where he's carrying knocks as well)

- Worth around £4.5m

07 - BRAHIM HEMDANI

The deserved player of the year last season who quietly went about his business doing what was asked of him whether it was in midfield or defence. Has one of the best first touches I've seen and very rarely gives the ball away. Not quite sure where he fits in with Walter Smith's plans though but he's a player I wouldn't like to see lose his place.

- Hopefully first team regular

- Worth around £2m

08 - KEVIN THOMSON

Struggled at first but has seemed to settle better now and had some good performances towards the end of the season, especially against Celtic. He's definitely still one for the future though but should feature a lot this coming season and will hopefully benefit from playing with Ferguson and Hemdani.

- Will see his fair share of action

- Worth around £2m

09 - KRIS BOYD

Hasn't really stopped scoring since his arrival from Kilmarnock and again, expectations will be high for Boyd. Has apparently been working hard in pre-season and has lost a bit of weight so hopefully he'll be that little bit sharper and will continue to score the goals.

- First team regular

- Worth around £3.5m

10 - NACHO NOVO

Every time his chance of keeping his place in the team looks under threat the wee man suprises all by putting in good performances and scoring important goals that it's hard to drop him. He'll probably have to do the same again from the bench though as it's unlikely he'll be a first pick. Some players should watch the hard shifts Nacho puts in and take note.

- Backup

- Worth around £1m

11 - CHARLIE ADAM

Despite his impressive goal tally last season, Charlie will find his position seriously under threat with the arrival of Beasley and McCulloch. Even though he scored a lot of goals from midfield, his overall play wasn't good enough and will have to get fitter and work harder in order to keep his place in the team.

- Backup

- Worth around £1.2m

12 - UGO EHIOGU

Another experienced defender brought in to tighten things up. Despite his wonder goal against Celtic, he gave the ball away a lot and didn't look confident. Will have to up his game next season, although I think he'll be backup.

- Backup

- Would leave on a free were he to go

14 - LIBOR SIONKO

Another player who arrived with a lot of promise and didn't deliver. Struggled through injury and didn't really feature much. A shoe in to leave before the transfer window closes.

- Will probably be out the door or paid off

- £800k, but we'll probably pay him off

15 - ALAN GOW

Signed on a free from Falkirk. I wouldn't expect him to score a lot of goals and I don't think he'll be a first pick so he might struggle to get into the team. Will probably be a top player for our reserves and will play SPL matches after we've played European matches to keep the first team players fresh. Always has a chance if he comes in and plays well. Good squad player to have.

- Backup

- Worth around £500k

16 - GRAEME SMITH

Brought in as competition for McGregor and put in some good performances for Killie earlier in the season. I wouldn't expect him to feature at all after the signing of Carroll but might get a run out in the League Cup.

- One for the future

- Worth around £200k

17 - CHRIS BURKE

Such a frustrating player. Some games he has looked astonishingly brilliant yet other games has looked utterly mince. Is a joy to watch him taking the ball past 5 players with ease then cringing to watch him beating himself and falling over the ball giving away a throw-in in the process. Needs to learn how to cross the ball as well. Will have to seriously up his game and find some form if he has to have any chance of getting a regular place in the team.

- Will probably be backup

- Sometimes worth £10m sometimes worth 10p

18 - IAN MURRAY

Mr Utility. Unfortunately for Ian Murray he is competent in a lot of positions but doesn't really stand out in any of them so he is always going to be a useful backup to have. I'm struggling to think of anything much else to say about him. Gudge thinks he doesn't have any teeth.

- Definite Backup

- Worth around £750k

19 - JEAN-CLAUDE DARCHEVILLE

Nicknamed The Rocket because of his explosive pace. Could possibly be another Rod Wallace if he has his shooting boots on and will hopefully perform well with Boyd. Has already been dazzling his team mates with magic tricks and will hopefully be disappearing past defenders and putting the ball in the net a lot this season.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1.2m

20 - DAMARCUS BEASLEY

Another quick player, Beasley can play on the left or right side but will probably play right with McCulloch on the left. Hopefully will find his feet in the SPL and get going as I think he struggled at times with Man City while on loan there.

- First team regular

- Worth around £1m

21 - KIRK BROADFOOT

Was described to me by my St. Mirren supporting mate as "a good defender with a touch of the 'Amos' about him" in reference to Lorenzo Amoruso who used to like his occasional mazy run and long shot. Won't be an automatic starter but is more one for the future when Weir's legs give in.

- Backup

- Worth around £500k

22 - ANDY WEBSTER

The saga continues and he's back on loan until the dispute with Hearts and Wigan is sorted out. Hasn't really played a lot of football in the past year so will be short of match fitness. Looked out of place when playing for Wigan last season. Unsure where he's going to fit in if the expected central defence is Weir/Cuellar.

- Probably backup

- Worth around £5m according to Hearts icon_wink.gif

23 - FILIP SEBO

SEBO! SEBO! SEBO! Cult hero amongst the fans, mostly because of his mad website and for being not very good and trying hard. Strange to see the fans getting behind him in such a big way but he's a likeable player for some reason. Isn't likely to feature much I don't think and would probably be sold were someone to be crazy enough to give us back the £1.8m we paid for him.

- Backup

- Worth around, er... £1.8m?

26 - STEVEN SMITH

Missed most of the last campaign through injury. Isn't likely to be fit in time for the new season and there were rumours going around that he had suffered a setback. Hopefully he'll recover and get his place back in the team as he's performed very well indeed since getting into the first team and would probably have made the Scotland squad if he had kept his performances up last season.

- First team regular when fit

- Worth around £1.5m

-- - ROY CARROLL

Surprising signing after already bringing in a goalkeeper as backup for McGregor but will increase competition for places and hopefully get the best out of McGregor. Fairly low risk with only a one year deal.

- Backup

- Worth nothing!

-- - CARLOS CUELLAR

Don't know much about him to be honest but is a player we've been chasing for a while. Apparently his style is suited to the Scottish game so we'll soon see how good he is. Heard the same about Svensson last year. Let's hope Carlos can head the ball.

- First team regular

- Worth £2.4m or however much we paid for him

-- - LEE MCCULLOCH

OK, hasn't joined yet but we've agreed a fee with Wigan and he's a big Rangers fan so it's going to happen. There has been a lot of outrage about McCulloch joining (mainly because of the large fee involved) but is probably the type of player we need to replace Prso when we need a bit of grit and hard work. Should be a good player for us after his experiences of the Premiership where he didn't look out of his depth in a hard working team.

- First team regular

- Worth £2m apparently

Excellent effort Ter, I feel I agree on most points you make although some of your fees! Novo clearly a 500K player (ask Coventry).

Sebo to be absolutely storming this year with his new haircut. More realistically though judging by his career record we can expect at least 20 goals this season icon14.gif

• SI Staff
Novo clearly a 500K player (ask Coventry).

That was when he had just had a poor season, he wasn't wanted and before his contributions last season. His value has gone up since then! icon_wink.gif

I reckon if we asked a Premiership (especially a promoted one) club for money for Boyd, we could easily get £5m+

simply as the boy is a goalscorer and they are hard to buy, yup I know it's the SPL - but he has the nautral instincts a goalscorer needs, maybe he's not completely there as an article, but if you know the instincts then that is money in the bank

not that I want us to sell him though

Archived