Whats the best 5 man defensive combination?

As you can see with my formation we leak a lot of goals from the outside when facing 4231 type of formations. What would be the best way with 5 players in the back to get the most defensive coverage? I'm trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak and use 5 up front with 5 back. The problem is we tend to leak goals from opposing wingers getting easy clear cut chances. What roles/positions would you put players in if you only could use 5 in the back? Would you remove the defensive midfielders and use a left and right back? I used 2 ball winning midfielders in the hope they would close out wingers on the outside but its not working that well. We get broken down easily.

3232.jpg

You're playing with two teams who don't know each other.  And you have no defensive cover down the flanks.

If you really want to play with such a crazy formation, try dropping the AML/R/C back to ML/R/C, maybe with defensive wingers as well.  But to be honest you've got your work cut out there, and advice is going to be guesswork as nobody plays like that.

16 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You're playing with two teams who don't know each other.  And you have no defensive cover down the flanks.

If you really want to play with such a crazy formation, try dropping the AML/R/C back to ML/R/C, maybe with defensive wingers as well.  But to be honest you've got your work cut out there, and advice is going to be guesswork as nobody plays like that.

I just got bored playing with the standard formations so I figured I'd try something different. When this formation is working we win like 5-1 but usually lose like 2-1 or something. I've tried a lot of different things but it doesn't seem like i can get this to work. When I thought this formation up I wanted to play direct(long ball?) football where my defenders and midfielders would hoof the ball forward for easy goals. But this just doesn't work. Thanks for the response though. I'll have to come up with some other crazy idea.

If you want to stick with a crazy idea, replace the two wingers with complete wingbacks,  at the very least you'll have two guys running up and down the flanks like mad men lol. Plus with a support duty they should in theory help out with all phases.

You could also replace one of your centre backs with a half back. So you'd have 4 players in the defence strata, 3 in the defensive midfield, and still have the massive gap in central midfield that you want :)

Looking at your screenshot again, not sure I'd have two stoppers, as you're potentially leaving one central defender by themselves as your ball winning midfielders are pushing forward, as are your two defenders on stopper duties.

With what I suggested when you get caught out, you'll at least have 3 men back to try and deal with any problems, the half back and 2 central defenders on defend duty.

1 hour ago, OCD said:

If you want to stick with a crazy idea, replace the two wingers with complete wingbacks,  at the very least you'll have two guys running up and down the flanks like mad men lol. Plus with a support duty they should in theory help out with all phases.

You could also replace one of your centre backs with a half back. So you'd have 4 players in the defence strata, 3 in the defensive midfield, and still have the massive gap in central midfield that you want :)

Looking at your screenshot again, not sure I'd have two stoppers, as you're potentially leaving one central defender by themselves as your ball winning midfielders are pushing forward, as are your two defenders on stopper duties.

With what I suggested when you get caught out, you'll at least have 3 men back to try and deal with any problems, the half back and 2 central defenders on defend duty.

Alright i'll give this a shot should be fun.

5 minutes ago, FootballManager89 said:

Alright i'll give this a shot should be fun.

Okay, but then you are basically playing a 3-4-1-2 which really isn't that novel. Just sayin . . . :)

that's not a 5 man defence... BWMs on support with no CMs in the lineup will just charge up chasing the ball

not novel but I like a flat 5 man in a V shape. Where the V is caused by duties ... so full backs set to wing back attack are advanced points of the V... cb and or bpd on stopper as the outer centre backs (keeps them reasonably close to wing backs ... then the central defender on Cover duty staying quite deep behind the stoppers.

it allows you either no DM or a more aggressive DM such as Regista/RPM with 4 attacking positions ahead.

you can change the wbs to IWBs (to plug gaps in CM) if you want to be adventurous and use the remaining 4 positions as AMC/Strikers .. I recently created a joke tactic (that actually turned out quite successful) using 4 trequaristas upfront because I was bored with standard formations

Archived