Why is this working?

Hi!

I've recently started my final save on FM17 and as per usual it is my long-term Liverpool-save. After dabbling with high tempo tactics and lots of counter-attacking I decided to return to my possession-based roots.

Based on the players that Liverpool have I decided upon this:

GK(D)

FB(S) CD(D) CD(C) FB(S)

BBM(S) CM(D) BBM(S)

AM(A) AP(S)

DLF(S)

Standard mentality
Flexible shape

Following TIs:
Lower tempo, shorter passing, work ball into box, play out of defence, stay on feet, roam from position, cross low, dribble less

This turned out pretty good during pre-season and the first months of PL. By Christmas I was however in a really poor position and the board was not pleased. I was by then 7th in the league having lost big against all the big teams (Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, United) and a change was needed. The change actually came in the second game against Arsenal for the season. Can/Leiva/Henderson were all injured so I opted to move one BBM up as a AM(S).

This was the only change I did. I ended up winning almost all of the remaining games, finishing 1 point behind Chelsea in 1st.

Season 2 I continued with this tactic and I'm currently unbeaten in 1st position having drawn Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal as 3 of my 5 first games. I have also won all games in CL so far with a thrashing of Atletico Madrid by 4-1. Leading the group easily.
I've only had one draw against West Ham after a freak red card.

This tactic is basically wiping everyone out. Community Shield win over Chelsea with 4-0. Win against Tottenham 5-1 in the league. Win against Arsenal 3-0 and so on.

I'm constantly having 60%+ possession even against the big teams.

I just don't get it. Why is this performing so well compared to having the BBM? I just don't get it why this is by far the best tactic I have come up with during FM17. 

my guess would be that you had a lot of sideways passing with 3 cms on standard and; retain possession, work ball into box, play out of defence... 

Now, with a top heavy formation, a bit more natural progression has kicked in. More bodies around the opposition third to effectively work ball into the box.

It's good that it works, i really like slow tempo short passing formations. You can review the build ups to the goals in the analysis tab to compare goals now to before... you'll probably see more touches around the box in the build up.

9 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

my guess would be that you had a lot of sideways passing with 3 cms on standard and; retain possession, work ball into box, play out of defence... 

Now, with a top heavy formation, a bit more natural progression has kicked in. More bodies around the opposition third to effectively work ball into the box.

It's good that it works, i really like slow tempo short passing formations. You can review the build ups to the goals in the analysis tab to compare goals now to before... you'll probably see more touches around the box in the build up.

Aye, it's very enjoyable to watch. But as usual in FM my problem has always been why things work :p I guess that could be the explanation! It's funny how such small things can make all the difference.

Archived