[Suggestion] Youth Intake Date

kandersson

My suggestion is to set youth intake date at the end of the season for each country, maybe a few days after last league fixture. I think it was like this in past editions of the game (2010?), and personally think it was better. Having intake date in the middle of the season isn't particularly realistic imo (irl teams organize their youth teams and select youth players before the start of the season, of course they might make additions during the season though not a whole new squad). Also, as someone who puts a lot of emphasis and time in youth development, I'd rather handle this task in the off-season when I could fully concentrate on evaluating the prospects without dealing with first team fixtures in the same days.

31 minutes ago, kandersson said:

My suggestion is to set youth intake date at the end of the season for each country, maybe a few days after last league fixture. I think it was like this in past editions of the game (2010?), and personally think it was better. Having intake date in the middle of the season isn't particularly realistic imo (irl teams organize their youth teams and select youth players before the start of the season, of course they might make additions during the season though not a whole new squad). Also, as someone who puts a lot of emphasis and time in youth development, I'd rather handle this task in the off-season when I could fully concentrate on evaluating the prospects without dealing with first team fixtures in the same days.

I completely agree with this.

Agree, it really made more sense when newgens appeared in pre-season. Don't remember why SI changed it some years ago, maybe because generating new players slowed down the season update and caused crashes sometimes.

One advantage of the existing setup (at least for lower division clubs with smaller squads) is that you generally get your youth intake at least a couple of months before the contracts of some of your players run out and the transfer window opens, so a high potential and/or reasonably developed youngster coming through can save you the need to renew/replace that backup player.

Sometimes with people in the early stages of Youth Only saves the youth intake can help save their season midway through too. Or it can be incredibly frustrating if they're not allowed to play them because of squad registration rules...

That said, probably more realistic to have the youth evaluation at the end of the season, even if only in playable/active divisions

• 2 weeks later...

There needs to be a re-think of youth development in general. It should be held like a trial day, out of the season or with a few trial days/week were the Head of Youth Development whittles down the numbers from 60 to 20. As a manager you can still have a say of who you like etc and the potential ability slowly gets known throughout the process.

There needs to be at least an U15s Side to allow clubs to develop talent and this would be more realistic as you can currently put 15yo/16yo in to first team games and after 3/4 games they are performing well for 60 mins. If regens were brought in at 13/14 this would become impossible for teams to thrust these youths into their first teams as they shouldn't be able deal with the physicality/speed of play. The stats should reflect this and obviously improve quickly in these first two years.

Also big clubs buy youth prospects at reasonable prices, something that is sometimes impossible in FM. You can enquire for a league 1 sides youth prospect and get told its £20 mill plus future % of profit. Ridiculous - 20mill for a 16 year old? I think the only player in the real world who went close to this figure, at that age was Martin Oodegard. Yes agree a structured deal should be in place for lets say £5-10mill tops but not 20-40. In my current save I bought Sterling from City in 2019 for 19million at 25 yo and who is still in the England squad. Yet Charlton want 53million for there young winger...

On 27/04/2017 at 08:35, tomzo_2 said:

There needs to be a re-think of youth development in general. It should be held like a trial day, out of the season or with a few trial days/week were the Head of Youth Development whittles down the numbers from 60 to 20. As a manager you can still have a say of who you like etc and the potential ability slowly gets known throughout the process.

There needs to be at least an U15s Side to allow clubs to develop talent and this would be more realistic as you can currently put 15yo/16yo in to first team games and after 3/4 games they are performing well for 60 mins. If regens were brought in at 13/14 this would become impossible for teams to thrust these youths into their first teams as they shouldn't be able deal with the physicality/speed of play. The stats should reflect this and obviously improve quickly in these first two years.

Also big clubs buy youth prospects at reasonable prices, something that is sometimes impossible in FM. You can enquire for a league 1 sides youth prospect and get told its £20 mill plus future % of profit. Ridiculous - 20mill for a 16 year old? I think the only player in the real world who went close to this figure, at that age was Martin Oodegard. Yes agree a structured deal should be in place for lets say £5-10mill tops but not 20-40. In my current save I bought Sterling from City in 2019 for 19million at 25 yo and who is still in the England squad. Yet Charlton want 53million for there young winger...

I like what you're getting at but I think youth intakes at younger age groups would be the responsibility of your youth coaches / HoYD and may over-complicate the game, especially as players you have in younger groups could be picked up by other clubs. However, it would be good to know how good each of your youth intakes are through the younger levels so you can plan accordingly.

Also, to your other point, whilst I sympathise with you, isn't it just that the club doesn't want to sell so they place a big fee on them?

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:07, maccataq said:

Also, to your other point, whilst I sympathise with you, isn't it just that the club doesn't want to sell so they place a big fee on them?

I can understand the argument of not wanting to sell but for a league one club not accepting a bid of 5-10 million for a potential not proven star with a future sell on clause, when they have a small budget etc is unrealistic.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:07, maccataq said:

I like what you're getting at but I think youth intakes at younger age groups would be the responsibility of your youth coaches / HoYD and may over-complicate the game, especially as players you have in younger groups could be picked up by other clubs. However, it would be good to know how good each of your youth intakes are through the younger levels so you can plan accordingly.

This happens in real life so why not make it part of the game, even if as a manager you cant influence it majorly as it is in the hands of the HOYD surely the ability to occasionally borrow them players for friendlies would be an interesting part of the game and allow better standards at certain clubs that have a specific model.

11 minutes ago, tomzo_2 said:

I can understand the argument of not wanting to sell but for a league one club not accepting a bid of 5-10 million for a potential not proven star with a future sell on clause, when they have a small budget etc is unrealistic.

People have said that before and yet no-one has provided an example of it happening.

The last time it was discussed those league one clubs were accepting bids of £1m-£1.5m tops after negotiation.

11 minutes ago, tomzo_2 said:

This happens in real life so why not make it part of the game, even if as a manager you cant influence it majorly as it is in the hands of the HOYD surely the ability to occasionally borrow them players for friendlies would be an interesting part of the game and allow better standards at certain clubs that have a specific model.

I don't disagree with you on either point to be fair. You're right that a championship club would probably accept such a bid in real life. As I said before, I like what you're getting at in terms of having more in depth youth intake/recruitment, I'd probably enjoy doing that but I think it would need to be a feature where you can hand over the responsibility if you wish. I guess my fear would be having the headache of dealing with having your best young players poached and not being able to do anything about it; currently it does happen in the game but you are ignorant to it.

I also have a little gripe about returning loan players who have played all season that no one at those levels ever make a bid for those players. I don't want to transfer list them due to immediately losing value yet would be open to discussions around there value.

In terms of the youths I normally shortlist all the targets and wait for bids to be accepted by Unitd, City etc and add a larger signing on bonus so a player who is being touted at 5-8 million normally goes for 3.5 and I pay them a 750k but still cheaper than the £5-8 touted.

Excellent suggestion @kandersson :thup:.
They way it is now is unrealistic.
IRL you don't get a full new squad mid-season. The promotions happen at the end of season (unless there is a good youngster who deserves being promoted).

I also like the idea of creating at least an U15s @tomzo_2.
Make it a regen-only.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm only a semi-pro team with non-contract players, but my youth intake day was yesterday, during the start of pre-season - Is it different for some leagues/countries?

6 minutes ago, David_H1997 said:

I'm not sure if it's because I'm only a semi-pro team with non-contract players, but my youth intake day was yesterday, during the start of pre-season - Is it different for some leagues/countries?

Yes.
Check this, this or this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 09:35, tomzo_2 said:

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this is how it should be done. The players skills shouldn't automatically be known, and like scouting or taking a player on a trail it should take time before you know the player's full report card.

Most of this happens in the game already, just off screen to save memory.  The youth coaching & youth facilities at a club is representative of the game that simulates the 10-16 yr old squads that take place in the background at your team.  The youth intake are the graduates from the process, which is why you have the position and stats already known and they come in at certain PA/CA levels depending on the club. 

Having graduates at season end/start makes sense though.   You get to see the graduating/candidate class then to contract into the U16 or release.

I'm ok with not having a U15 team, we need to draw a line or else some years from now we'll have users requesting a U8 team.

Regarding the youth intake date I think it's an excellent idea, it is unrealistic to have a whole squad appear in mid February which also makes it harder to plan the season. Having the kids come in at the beginning of the pre season would be a better option.

Personally, I think the current system of having them appear late in, but not at the end of, the season is fine. It gives you a couple of months to decide which players you want to keep, and see how they perform in the U18 level. Pre-season is busy enough trying to sort out everything else without having to worry about youth prospects

• 1 year later...

Archived