Regen scouting/signing too easy

ramlaku

I find it too easy to find and sign good regens from Africa. I play with a large database (50k+ players loaded) in Spain and every year only 5-10 regens emerge from each of the major African nations. I am a tiny team (2 star reputation) just promoted to La Liga, and even though I can scout the whole world, this isn’t even necessary to find these players, neither does attribute masking fix this.

Take Ivory Coast, one of the top regen nations in Africa. I just go to their U-20 national team and can instantly see the regens - most of these will become La Liga quality because there are so few. They will sign for pennies even to my team, with the exception of perhaps one with an unusually high PA.

What is worse, AI managers don’t even seem to be interested in these players. The entire setup would work fine if only AI managers of better teams than mine were much more aggressive in snapping these up as soon as they emerge. For instance, I just sold a regen I had signed a year earlier to Sevilla for £1m, even though he is one of the worse regens I have. Why wouldn’t Sevilla have signed him directly ahead of me from Ivory Coast? Their financial status, reputation, and scouting network is better than mine. I narrowly missed a future wonderkid from Egypt only because Man City finally submitted a bid - until then, I could have easily signed him.

A solution to this would be that not only are attributes masked, but similar to how only known players show up in Player Search, it shouldn’t be possible for me to know about all the players even existing. As it is possible to gain worldwide scouting range for even small teams, this does not solve the issue.

Alternatively, AI managers should instantly hoover up all new regens from around the world when they emerge.

Not sure if I’ve explained this very well, but I would be interested in people’s thoughts.

Just now, tomzo_2 said:

Is Ivory Coast a playable nation? But yes doesn't make much sense! But this might be down to limitation of these clubs scouting ranges!

It's not a playable nation. All big teams have worldwide scouting range though, so they should be picking these players up immediately.

An alternative solution would be to have a much larger number of regens come through from these countries making it harder to spot the best ones. The ones who don't get signed to Europe could then just retire at an early age or stay in the domestic league.

Firstly, I believe (could be wrong) this is one of the impacts of having a large database - there are simply too many players to fill all the slots in playable leagues. As a result, most AI clubs will tend to stick to their comfort zones. Especially, the big clubs. Their simply isn't the need for them to take a chance on an unknown youngster as they have sufficient availability of local talent/talent from feeder clubs.

However, I think there is still some balancing that can be done when it comes to these players, you'd expect some of the mid-lower top division teams - maybe even second tier teams, like you say you are to be going out and trying to pick up these players. Essentially these players are being created to fill spaces in the national teams, so in all reality they'd be plying their trade somewhere in Europe - even if not at the highest levels. 

2 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Firstly, I believe (could be wrong) this is one of the impacts of having a large database - there are simply too many players to fill all the slots in playable leagues. As a result, most AI clubs will tend to stick to their comfort zones. Especially, the big clubs. Their simply isn't the need for them to take a chance on an unknown youngster as they have sufficient availability of local talent/talent from feeder clubs.

However, I think there is still some balancing that can be done when it comes to these players, you'd expect some of the mid-lower top division teams - maybe even second tier teams, like you say you are to be going out and trying to pick up these players. Essentially these players are being created to fill spaces in the national teams, so in all reality they'd be plying their trade somewhere in Europe - even if not at the highest levels. 

That's an interesting point. Maybe with a small database there simply would be no regens from e.g. Ivory Coast coming through. The only downside to this would be wildly unrealistic national team results - ultimately it would just be the top European teams taking all World Cups. (I would rather have this than me being able to assemble an insane regen team, though!)

1 hour ago, ramlaku said:

That's an interesting point. Maybe with a small database there simply would be no regens from e.g. Ivory Coast coming through. The only downside to this would be wildly unrealistic national team results - ultimately it would just be the top European teams taking all World Cups. (I would rather have this than me being able to assemble an insane regen team, though!)

Not having actual players will not impact on the international scene as the game will populate sides with virtual (grey) players within an ability range appropriate for their nation/club.

As for your OP having AI managers/DOF's being more adaptive in how they identify potential targets is an area that SI improve upon every years, I worked on this aspect of the game for 3 years & saw a lot of improvement in that time. In the meantime you can choose not to trawl the international youth squads & just let your scouts find players when out on assignment, it will level the playing field a bit more & you'll find that like to AI sides you'll not hear about generated players from overseas until they've built up more of a global reputation.

It seems like the problem is with African regens specifically, though, because the South American ones are sufficiently expensive that it's not possible to sign them for less than usually £1m. The good African ones (Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, etc.)  can sometimes be signed for free or for £5-50k, meaning I can just sign all of them.

The pricing could be down to a bug linked to those nations not having an active league system.

Might be worth raising in the bugs forum with a few examples of unrealistically cheap players.

• 5 months later...

Archived