3-4-3 - 4-3-3: Advice on creating player role

I've been trying to create a system where our team attacks as a 3-4-3 with one centre midfielder dropping between the CB's as the WB's sit higher up field and defend as a 4-3-3, I know this is easily achievable with the half back role but I find that after the build up phase when you are in the final 3rd the half back sits slightly in front of the CB's and leaves you exposed with balls through the centre as they rush back into position.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to have this DM player sit at the half way line and not venture forward at all like an anchor between the CB's but when defending come forward and act as a normal DM and shield the defence. For an example of what I mean imagine the complete opposite of a libero defends as a midfielder stays in a CB position when attacking and distributes the ball.

Cheers.

I haven't been able to replicate that myself @OhhScottySinclair, the player is always slightly infront for me, and in fact it was/is tough to get the two CBs to spread. The way I would approach this is backwards, have you tried putting the DM into the DC slot and using a BPD on stopper duty? Or something like that?

Not too sure whether that's easy to balance but should provide the back 3 to protect against counters, my fear would you'd be too easily overrun so your two CMs would need to be good.

image.thumb.png.cd31f43027a82d8c449f1256a8b1877e.pngimage.thumb.png.fe2f8c24f8ea552969e8d47d5ca8233d.png

This is just an example to highlight my point, another way of doing it could be something like this.

image.thumb.png.b7bf0e14ad83e728a6eb7d5dd471d30e.png

Here you should attack like a 343, while having your CBs holding for the counter. The WM(a) would cut inside and act like a widthdrawn Inside forward or such.

I haven't tested any of these tactics or even thought about any of the roles in depth, so please use loosely. However, just wanted to prompt some ideas and discussion by coming at the problem from a different angle.

As a side note, if you look at the BPD you have a lot of other options as well

CWAOQkB.png

You can tell him to close down much more and Hold Position (no swapping going forward etc.). Maybe play around with those options as well. Looking at it you could also test playing with a BPD(d) and giving him more closing down to see what happens. Quite a few things to try out!

21 hours ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

I've been trying to create a system where our team attacks as a 3-4-3 with one centre midfielder dropping between the CB's as the WB's sit higher up field and defend as a 4-3-3, I know this is easily achievable with the half back role but I find that after the build up phase when you are in the final 3rd the half back sits slightly in front of the CB's and leaves you exposed with balls through the centre as they rush back into position.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to have this DM player sit at the half way line and not venture forward at all like an anchor between the CB's but when defending come forward and act as a normal DM and shield the defence. For an example of what I mean imagine the complete opposite of a libero defends as a midfielder stays in a CB position when attacking and distributes the ball.

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, Draktor said:

I haven't been able to replicate that myself @OhhScottySinclair, the player is always slightly infront for me, and in fact it was/is tough to get the two CBs to spread. The way I would approach this is backwards, have you tried putting the DM into the DC slot and using a BPD on stopper duty? Or something like that?

Not too sure whether that's easy to balance but should provide the back 3 to protect against counters, my fear would you'd be too easily overrun so your two CMs would need to be good.

image.thumb.png.cd31f43027a82d8c449f1256a8b1877e.pngimage.thumb.png.fe2f8c24f8ea552969e8d47d5ca8233d.png

This is just an example to highlight my point, another way of doing it could be something like this.

image.thumb.png.b7bf0e14ad83e728a6eb7d5dd471d30e.png

Here you should attack like a 343, while having your CBs holding for the counter. The WM(a) would cut inside and act like a widthdrawn Inside forward or such.

I haven't tested any of these tactics or even thought about any of the roles in depth, so please use loosely. However, just wanted to prompt some ideas and discussion by coming at the problem from a different angle.

This is the best way to get it to work, any one of these three can switch from a 433 or a 541 into a 343 into attack. What makes a system attack as a 343 or a 260 are the roles and duties you elect to use.

Archived