Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

On the Squad-Players page, is there any way to get rid of the highlights/different shade of grey for players that are selected and those that aren't? At the moment unselected player rows appear in light grey and selected player rows are in dark grey. I'd just like one shade for all and no difference between selected and unselected.

Whilst I'm on the topic of row shading, is it possible to get rid of the row shading on the fixtures screen? League fixtures have one shade (dark grey), friendlies another (purple), champions league yet another (blue). I understand that the point is to differentiate them but to me it just looks messy (it looks like I've multi selected a few fixtures and that's why they  are in different shades). 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Maybe you should be more patient? Posting bugs is great but SI can't respond to them immediately. Just because a bug isn't replied to doesn't necessarily mean it's being ignored, but it might not be as high priority to SI as it is to you.

Bugs were reported on the 28th of October, one was accidentally posted in the wrong section and was moved almost immediately but no answer. The other has just not been answered. A large number of bug reports have been dealt with which have been posted since I posted them. 

So maybe you should not accuse me of needing more patience and should shut up and leave me alone instead of being rude to me.

7 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Bugs were reported on the 28th of October, one was accidentally posted in the wrong section and was moved almost immediately but no answer. The other has just not been answered. A large number of bug reports have been dealt with which have been posted since I posted them. 

So maybe you should not accuse me of needing more patience and should shut up and leave me alone instead of being rude to me.

That should tell you that they are likely aware of it but dealing with other reports first. They will have their own internal priorities. 

And kindly refrain from telling anyone to shut up. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That should tell you that they are aware of it but dealing with other reports first. They will have their own internal priorities. 

Ans kindly refrain from telling anyone to shut up. Thanks 

Are you going to tell RTHerringbone not to be rude to me?

If they have seen it they should at least acknowledge it. If the one problem is not fixed in the full release I probably will stop playing, I have been prepared to put up with it during beta but I want it to be fixed for the full release.

Edited by Upside Down

4 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Are you going to tell RTHerringbone not to be rude to me?

If they have seen it they should at least acknowledge it. If the one problem is not fixed in the full release I probably will stop playing, I have been prepared to put up with it during beta but I want it to be fixed for the full release.

He wasn't rude to you, what he said was accurate in how it will be dealt with. 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

He wasn't rude to you, what he said was accurate in how it will be dealt with. 

Of course he was rude to me. I only told him to shut up because his post was rude. It completely wrongly accused me of being impatient, THAT IS RUDE.

Hi, I don't know if I heard correct. Their seems to be a lack of staff compared to old versions available for free, is this because the database is restricted before full release or how it will be in the game itself?

I struggle to find any lower league staff on my games unlike FM16. I had a 107k players generated across 35 leagues.

I have seen the comments about Ajax staff and licence issues, wouldnt it be an idea to randomly generate replacement staff each game as again this is a real struggle on a new game to find quality staff and effects enjoyment especially when you play with the first transfer window off?

Hey, I just want to say that my initial reaction to this game was too negative. After playing one season I find it quite enjoyable. Even if I stand by that there are not many new things in the game that warrant the high price. The interface is smooth and the dynacmics feature does have potential. 

Big issue for me, that might not be important for others, but is easy to fix: Opposition instructions screen. First; it's hidden away. you shouldn't need to go to tactics section and press it down right like that. Secondly, and most importantly, i need a quick view of the opposition player's skills, so I can see stats like bravery, natural fitness, pace etc. This is very important for when to set hard tackling for instance. Right now i need to click on each player, then when I try to go back i'm back to the tactics screen and have to go into the oppostiion instructions meny down right. This is extremely annoying.

Good tip: Make it easy to see the medical report of injurt risk stat for each player, for instance in the tactics menu before each game. I'm not talking about the risk assessment tab on said screen, i'm talking about the "overall risk of injury" assessment when you go to reports => medical report.

5 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I don't see how what I said to him is any worse than what he said to me.

Huge difference in someone saying you're impatient and telling them to shut up, you are definitely in the wrong here.

3 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Huge difference in someone saying you're impatient and telling them to shut up, you are definitely in the wrong here.

Not to me there is not. By saying I was impatient he was saying I should not have posted what I posted and that I should be quiet about the bugs I reported, so effectively he was telling me to shut up.

Edited by Upside Down

4 minutes ago, jc1 said:

If you told me to shut up in life straight to my face, I'd give you a right hook square on the jaw, can't believe how rude you are😡

Why is there such a deal about saying shut up? I don't find it to be offensive at all, yet you seem to find it very offensive. 

If I told someone to shut up in real life because they were rude to me they would probably wonder why I didn't say something much worse.

Edited by Upside Down

22 minutes ago, jeesh said:

Can SI please include the elevated camera view? 

It was probably one of the most balanced camera views. 

I second this.

I'm frustated in the game as i've difficulty in getting a balance look of the match in 3D. 

Some setting, eg Sideline or TV, when the camera is close to the team's bench and vice versa, view will be cut off.  Some setting, eg Vertical Scrolling, i'll be seeing too much of the crowd in the stand, as well as the immovable photographer who has a small head. Hehehehe.

I give my Chief Scout responsibility for scouting and want to set minimum CA and PA levels. Whilst this can be set for short term assignments it seems that there is no way to apply such screening for General. I am hoping that this is an oversight and will be corrected in full game release. Seems bizarre that you cannot apply thresholds for General scouting.

36 minutes ago, herne79 said:

As much as I'm enjoying this little diversion, I think it's time to drop it, move on and get back to providing feedback about the game.

Herne79 do you have any answer or feedback on my post just above, not being impatient just can see it missed due to the pointless bickering above and below it? Many thanks 😀

55 minutes ago, Major Raver said:

Hi, I don't know if I heard correct. Their seems to be a lack of staff compared to old versions available for free, is this because the database is restricted before full release or how it will be in the game itself?

I struggle to find any lower league staff on my games unlike FM16. I had a 107k players generated across 35 leagues.

I have seen the comments about Ajax staff and licence issues, wouldnt it be an idea to randomly generate replacement staff each game as again this is a real struggle on a new game to find quality staff and effects enjoyment especially when you play with the first transfer window off?

I agree, struggled last year to get decent staff and too many regen staff with zero experience, never played with the transfer window off.

How can I filter out players offering themselves to me?  I get 20+ scout reports and 15 or so of them are players offering themselves to me. I don't want that, nor do I want to click discard

Edited by Deisler26

17 minutes ago, jc1 said:

I agree, struggled last year to get decent staff and too many regen staff with zero experience, never played with the transfer window off.

I only play with the first window off, JC1, i find it gives a bit more realism to me and changes the transfer market for the better 😀.

14 minutes ago, Major Raver said:

I only play with the first window off, JC1, i find it gives a bit more realism to me and changes the transfer market for the better 😀.

I see where you're coming from, play with the squad you've been given, then change things if need be the next window, it depends if I'm happy enough with the squad I've been left with, good idea though.

I am hoping that Dynamics has been implemented sensibly and will not ruin long term saves. I get the feeling that a lot of the dynamics were already in place but were not clearly pulled together and presented in an easily assimilated way. Time will tell re implementation but pleased with having Dynamics hierarchy/interactions etc now being readily viewable.

2 hours ago, Major Raver said:

I don't know if there are more or less staff available.  If you believe it's an issue then the best place to raise it is the Beta Bugs Forum with a save game to show examples.

However your starting database size, leagues loaded, club reputation, world knowledge etc can affect the number of staff you see or would be willing to join your club.  You may already know that of course but perhaps something to double check before raising a bug report.

2 issues I noticed within the matches themselves.

1 - Lack of movement from the my defensive line once the free kick has been taken.

2 - Too many shots from the vicinity of the corner flag which is a "great save" by the keeper every time. I do expect to see these kind of "mishit" crosses on the rare occasion but it seems to happen 2-3 times every match.

3 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

I am hoping that Dynamics has been implemented sensibly and will not ruin long term saves. I get the feeling that a lot of the dynamics were already in place but were not clearly pulled together and presented in an easily assimilated way. Time will tell re implementation but pleased with having Dynamics hierarchy/interactions etc now being readily viewable.

It shouldn't be an issue if you are sensible about it and build squads with decent levels of professionalism.

I sold a player on FM17 that the squad weren't happy about, he was 32yo and starting to decline so I was proactive as I had youngsters coming through.  They raised their concerns in a team meeting and I said something like "I can't give him the match time he wants and will give more opportunities to younger players".  They went away happy and I didn't hear anything else about it.

The problems will arise when you have a squad full of arsey players or when you get rid of a player without a valid in game reason.

18 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Whether it's bizarre or not will surely depend where you're managing, for one thing.

it also depends on what the opposing manager has at his disposal may they have no wingers. maybe the centre mids split to the wings maybe the l and r defenders have wing back instructions. lots of tactical reasons why it could be 

Loving the new game, feels like its stepped up in difficulty, which i'm slightly struggling with but i've never considered myself a very good manager despite playing the game since 1994 so maybe its finally become realistic that i'm not a good manager! Still loving it though. Would love it if it became slightly less difficult. Never been sacked twice before January before I don't think! 

10 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

its a bit over the top at the moment in my opiinion. they have really overdone it. it would be great if they had dyanmics within the dynamics like i said before so if you say fined someone for getting sent off and they moaned and you didnt play them then the squad would remember and be less inclined to moan and respect your decisions. obv only works if your being successful as if your not then they would lose respect and trust in you. but this doesnt happen at all they just moan and moan and moan all the time

20 minutes ago, herne79 said:

I don't know if there are more or less staff available.  If you believe it's an issue then the best place to raise it is the Beta Bugs Forum with a save game to show examples.

However your starting database size, leagues loaded, club reputation, world knowledge etc can affect the number of staff you see or would be willing to join your club.  You may already know that of course but perhaps something to double check before raising a bug report.

Thanks for the response, I don't want to waste anyone's time if it isn't a bug. The database editor will give me a clue if it's an issue or something when it comes out.

I love this franchise more than any other. I've worked tirelessly to become better at it. I've achieved this by studying guides, pouring over the tactics forums and have read Rashidi's book from cover to cover several times. FM17 was my biggest success story; managing to win the Premier and Champions League with West Ham over the duration of a 12 year save.

The game changer for me personally was reading Herne's excellent club strategy guide concerning club DNA and key attributes, squad building, tactical development and analysis. I learned to set up a tactic to ensure a sensible distribution of roles and duties to ensure passing triangles and smooth transitions. I learned to create space by pulling the opposition around. I learned adapt to my opposition and improve game management. I learned to rotate my squad to reduce injuries. I learned to grind out draws against tough away opposition.

Anyway, I've applied these key concepts to FM18 and so far I am getting destroyed. I don't mean losing, I mean destroyed. I like to play as a mid table Premier league side such as Southampton in my current save. Away from home is a particular problem. I alternate between a low to medium risk 4123 away and have a more aggressive 4231 to switch to if I need to grab a goal. Sufficed to say that I have applied the advice found in the tactics forums and the aforementioned guides.

Major issues I've encountered so far:

Closing down - The opposition are getting way too much time and afforded too many touches in the final third. I am being sliced apart like a knife through butter. This is even with a sensible midfield trio such as DM(d), DLP(s) & CM(s). I've tried both increasing closing down PIs for my MCs (who have excellent physical, mental and technical attributes to cope with this) - But they just stand there and let them waltz through. I've also experimented with D-line and fluid shape to make the team more compact - It made zero difference

Defending indirect set pieces - Regardless of setting up custom defence of these, my whole team lines up on the edge of the area and then fail to move after the ball is played. This sees the opposition pull away and their forwards take long shots for fun. It's like a firing range. I just conceded 2 against Liverpool in this way. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Static movement - I like to balance the midfielders in my AM strata by having an IF(s) and a Winger(s). This has always helped with transitions and gives greater variety in attack. On FM18 I find the movement of these players extremely static and one dimensional

I want to make it clear that I am not blaming the game, it is me that is the problem. I clearly do not yet understand how tactical mechanics are translated to the ME. 

Anyone noticed that there is a lot of injury time both after 45 and 90? I often get around 5min of extra time even if few thing have happened. We had 1 injury, 1 yellow and 1 goal in the second half and the ref added 5min. This happens a lot.

1 minute ago, Karnack said:

Anyone noticed that there is a lot of injury time both after 45 and 90? I often get around 5min of extra time even if few thing have happened. We had 1 injury, 1 yellow and 1 goal in the second half and the ref added 5min. This happens a lot.

This is a known issue.

Maybe this is just me, but I've found it very noticeable this year, that the AI is devastatingly efficient at chasing a game late on. The amount of late goals I'm losing is incredible. It's almost as if they're a goal or two down with 15 mins to go, they switch it up on the attack and have chance after chance until they (inevitably) score. Of course, if I'm chasing a game and go to a more attacking strategy, the clock runs down without another highlight, never mind 'chance after chance'.  This has been noticeable in all three of the saves I've been involved with, two on the main game and one on FMT. This is clearly down to what I'm doing (or not doing as the case may be), but it's starting to annoy me nonetheless. 

Oh, and just like every other version, I simply can't deal with a team who either start with, or switch to, a formation with 3 strikers. 

Can anyone clarify this for me: if I buy top scouting packages (both senior and under 21) is it like having 100% scouting knowledge (i.e. ALL players in the game would show up in player search)?

30 minutes ago, Karnack said:

Just had a game there with 8 minutes of injury time. My team cleared the ball off the line in the 8th minute. Had that gone in, it may have been my first ever FM rage quit :lol:

12 hours ago, Per Annum said:

I'm desperately hoping that come full release match events won't be confined to the top bar - but if they are - for goalscorers please show the player's face instead of the team kit and say what goal number it is for their season.

Agreed.

However, I suspect SI's comment will be along the lines of "that's just the way it is" or "get used to it".

FM18 Feedback:

Pros:
- Analysis on The tactic screen. Nice to see the anticipated covered and uncovered areas when setting up tactics.

- Match Preview screen.

- Team line-ups screens pre-match.

- Analysis tab during matches.

Cons:
- Custom Views. Still not improved and has taken a step back. They're all over the place, especially when re-sizing. Although it was relatively stable in FM17 it has been a mess for a long, long time.

- Dynamics. Couldn't care less about the dynamics. Especially at the moment when it's very, very sensitive and over the top. At my current club all players opposed me when i arrived.
  Now there are 22 players (entire first team squad) who have no real opinion of me. Things have improved massively.
  Still, if there is only one player that is on the "oppose you" side and none on the "support you" side there will be meetings left and right because of the bad dressingroom atmosphere.

- Social Groups and Happiness. Don't care about the Social Groups and don't care about that happiness screen.

- Tactics screen. Prefer the mentality, team shape etc. to be at the top of the screen instead of the side. Makes it harder for me to create custom views and easier to access.
  Reduce formation button and the pin button wouldn't be needed if that was accessible from the top. And with wonky custom views it does more harm than good for me having to constantly reduce and expand that panel.

- Squad Depth. Realise it's the same as in FM17 but i dislike having to scroll up and down to be able to get an overview of the squad.

- Medical Centre. Don't care about any of that or what's under each "tab" in that section.

- Scouting. Find it extremely tedious and user unfriendly. Packages are all well and good but it's just so clunky and tedious.
  The system and presentation with different players in FM17 was almost perfect, for me. Being given a report card, as a news item, with clickable cards that disappear i find bafflingly weird.
  Just give me a list of players and i'll review those myself. Almost everything about it is just tedious and has taken a few steps back in user friendliness.

- UI in general. Clunky. User unfriendly. So many additional clicks compared to what was right there in previous versions.
  It's not that long ago since SI was on a mission trying to reduce clicks to get where you wanted to go, while being presented with as much relevant information as possible.
  That has gone some way backwards.
  Tactics during a match i find very annoying. You have a pitch tab and a list tab. I want the information on both screens on the same screen. As in when you click the 3rd option at the top left.
  That's the screen that should be presented to me. There i have all the information i want and need. And it could only take one click as well to get there. And on top of it, the Pitch tab has the pitch horizontally instead of vertically.
  The Team Instructions, when clicking Tactics in-match, Set Pieces and OI have the same background as Mentality, Familiarity and Intensity. There's an indicator that shows they are different (in this case, clickable) but it would be nice
  if they had something else (different background, being visibly boxed etc.) to indicate they are clickable items.
  Highlights and messages in-match being at the top of the screen. I'd like that to be at the bottom of the screen. Now, for me, all of the just fades away. I don't have my eyes up there at all.
  I like to focus downwards. If it's up there, as mentioned, it just fades away and i will end up ignoring it completely.

- Pre-match Briefing. Don't care. Just more annoying clicks.

- Social feed. Waste of time and energy for me. Even more annoying when i'm managing all over the world and still have to customise what i want presented to me everytime i get a new job, due to assistant including stuff that i really don't care about.
  Would like a permanent preferrable setting.

- Teamtalks. Simply a change for the worse UI-wise.

- Timebar during matches. Bring it down to the bottom where i can actually pay attention to it.

- Goalkeepers still can't handle crosses. Treats them as the most amazing shots which they have to palm/fist over the bar, or dive after the cross that goes 3 meters outside the post.

- Players still not recognising they have free players they can pass the ball to, when backtracking when closed down.

- The "need" to lift the ball from the ground regardless of distance to teammate when passing the ball.

- Defenders kicking the ball to corner on backpasses (mostly when using their not-preferred foot). This has been there since FM15. It was massively reduced with one of the patches but re-introduced with FM16.
  It stayed put in FM17 and is still there in this iteration.

The overall feeling i get from this Beta is that it is a game i would love to love. At the moment i can't find the joy or the interest when i spend time with it.
It feels like a chore. Unintuitive and clunky UI kind of puts me off playing the game.
It feels like it has gone backwards. Not feature-wise but user friendly-wise. There will always be features i don't care about and features i love.
This, in spite of my love for the game, have me questioning myself whether i should go back to FM17 or not. That is a question i never ask myself.
I always go with the new and improved. Only this time i can't say (so far, after 51 hours) it has been improved.
It has worsened.
Now, the pros vs cons in this post might make it seem like i really dislike the game. I don't!
They are things that have caught my attention. 
But i can't say i love FM18 either. Or even that i really like it. I don't!
I'm just not impressed at all with the game and it leaves me with an indifferent feeling.
Mostly because of the UI.

Anyway. The current feedback from me might change after a few updates and having spent more time with the game.
Would/will it change for better or for worse?
Time will tell, and they all lived happily ever longing.
Time to go to bed children. Nighty-night :D:) 

Edited by roykela

Barcelona Possession Average after 20 games ... 51%

Man City Possession Average after 20 games .... 50,90 % 

Those stats are ridiculous ...  Full Detail Level btw ...

Barcelona lost at Leganes and had 47% possession .. Man City won in CL at HOME against Lodogorets 2-0 ..City had 44% possession ... 

is there a chance, that this will be fixed ?

• SI Staff
14 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

Barcelona Possession Average after 20 games ... 51%

Man City Possession Average after 20 games .... 50,90 % 

Those stats are ridiculous ...  Full Detail Level btw ...

Barcelona lost at Leganes and had 47% possession .. Man City won in CL at HOME against Lodogorets 2-0 ..City had 44% possession ... 

is there a chance, that this will be fixed ?

This is a known issue. It would be worth posting example PKMs in the ME forum please so that we can further investigate.

17 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

As a bisexual guy, I'd rather you didn't argue for what "they" want. I can only speak for myself, but I feel the feature highlights a particularly important issue that still exists within modern-day football, and bringing notice to it (that it shouldn't be newsworthy, but it is at present) is the only way that things are going to change.

Good on SI for doing it.

As a fellow member of the human race, i would like to say that's a very black and white view of the point I was trying to get across. It's also wrong as never at any point have I argued against this inclusion

Edited by MoxeysTheName

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Just had a game there with 8 minutes of injury time. My team cleared the ball off the line in the 8th minute. Had that gone in, it may have been my first ever FM rage quit :lol:

I believe this is a known issue. It would be worth posting your examples (with PKM) in the ME forum however for further investigation.

I have found most of the new features aren't very useful for the game, I too have no interest in dynamics or social groups, just as much as I didn't enjoy the social feed addition either with FM2017, I wish there was an option to turn certain features off but I know that probably isn't possible due to probably hard coding

Can someone help? Is there any reason why after signing a new contract in October for Southampton the same player would suddenly become unregistered from my Premier League Squad?

Year is 2019 and the player is Dutch. Not sure if it's some crazy Brexit thing or a bug.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks