[FM17] Keymer & Hassocks

Theodlard

Been working on this save for some time now, thought I would give a quick update and see if anyone else has been doing this.  It has been a difficult slog the past few seasons but hope springs eternal that the premier league is a goal.

Pretty standard setup, no coaching badges, started at lvl 22 in english pyramid, did not restrict my recruitment of players from other teams.  The first years were easy, lots of trophies, lots of league titles, kept a core group of players together who played well.  Good goalkeeper and a good striker made things roll smoothly.  Most of the time I used a fairly simple 4231, with control mentality.  I had a couple of blips in lvl 12 and added a DM, changing things up to a 4141 DM which helped keep things stable.  Lvl 11 was rough.  Team went semi-pro but could only offer bonuses, no contracts to any players.  The first couple years I was competitive and then the next two I was in a relegation battle.  Finding a striker was a challenge and when I did, I cruised through the league and won promotion, only missed title by a point.  Without my new striker I staved off relegation on goal differential, with my striker I finished 9 pts clear of 3rd place.  One other comment about Lvl 11, it adds four league winners into the table each year and relegates four.  The four winners are always favorites for promotions and are stacked with players who would never consider playing for me.  This seems to be a product of reputation and makes it additionally challenging to win promotion.

One note about my board.  In previous years and saves a change in ownership often brings an influx of cash.  Sometimes this happens frequently.  Not so for this save.  1 change in ownership, zero investment.  I'll in the red next season and have had no upgrades to any facilities.  Poor luck for this save.

Couple of screenshots 

boWP1uB.png

O0UAWpI.png

G0FzKy2.png

I'm almost through my first season in the Southern Combination Football League Division One.  Can now offer real P/T contracts which is a relief, no more poaching.  Back in the FA Vase (yay prize money).  It's been a roller coaster year and I should finish mid table with a strong finish.  I'll do a full update once that is done.  I'd love to hear of others who have been at this and if their experiences match my own.  I'm probably skipping fm18 and playing this out to see if I can get to the premier league.

The one name missing there is my assistant manager who has been with me since day 1, Terry McPhillips.  He applied when I posted the job and has not left, being unpaid for the majority of his tenure.  IRL he's the asst mgr for Blackpool currently, having been at Blackburn and other posts previously.  

czQJX1i.png

First season done in SC1.  Start and end to the season were good, but during the middle went on a 15 game run where I only managed 9 pts.  Remained very competitive throughout most losses were by one goal, GD was positive throughout the season.  Not so great in the cups either, but won a few in the FA Vase before being knocked out.  Lost my goalie and striker at the same time for a month, was a big contributing factor to the poor form.   Ended the season well, moving up to tenth from fifteenth.  Signed a young DM to help strengthen my mid-field.  Hoping to compete for a promotion spot next season.

xfUO5eU.png

Mid-season update

Had a great start to the season but eventually a few injuries and a packed schedule bogged me down.  Better as things leveled out.  In good position to challenge for promotion in the 2nd half.  Grabbed a DR on loan to cover a weak spot then a takeover bogged down any further player movements.  Still no resolution so just dealing with my squad on hand.  Won my first FA Cup game and the next round replay netted the biggest crown in our history.  Made more on gate in the first month than I did all of the previous year.

YOk9s0u.png?1

gMaZUge.png?1

jYsfHc9.png?1

It came down to the last game few games of the season but a nice 3 match winning run got me through as Champion.  Pretty lousy cup season, one quarterfinal is all I could muster.  Decent GK on the youth intake, maybe he will be ready when my current goalie retires in a few years.  Next season is tough, only one promotion spot available, nevertheless lvl 9 here I come!  Interesting side note, I received two international job offers this year, France and Spain, I passed on both but applied for the Scotland job, denied.  Go figure. 

SNatPMe.png?1

R8X0BMW.png?1

SNatPMe.png?1

Mid point in my first County League Season (step 9 on the FA pyramid).  Think I'm well set up for the next run of games, been on a good run recently but getting that one promotion spot might be tough.  Lost 1-0 to the league leaders, will probably need to beat them to win the league.

xXEsMya.png?1

jCE2Fkj.png?1

Cups pretty uneventful.  This is the last league for FA Vase, was hoping to make a good run but that did not occur.  I'll probably get another shot at it next year.  Still have a quarterfinal game left before my sole focus becomes the league table.

OPe50tX.png?1

This years youth intake.  Not a bad D Cwill probably be a backup player soon, but its my deepest position on the pitch.  The AML will be a potential replacement in a few years.   Problem with this save is almost none of my players ever come close to their potential.  4 of my top 15 players are homegrown talent.  The lack of funds keeps my training grounds and coaching at prohibitively low levels.  So good intakes rarely materialize into what they could be.

DlK5S21.png?1

Not a horrible first year but the season ended poorly.  Competed for the top spot most of the year but things just got bogged down and went on a run of bad draws.  Consistency at this level is frustrating.  Typical cup run, maybe next year for that FA Vase win or a decent FA Cup run.  Overall not too disappointed, am sure that it will take a season or two to go up.

3c4Cbs0.png?1

kmmdWPt.png?1

ARBCesj.png?1

European dreams crushed again.  Very happy with the FA Cup run.  Made a lot of much needed money (board sold my DM against my wishes) but finally ran into a bigger faster stronger team.  Draw was very kind to us, only had to beat 1 team in a higher league, team that beat me was 2 leagues higher.  Doing great in league, sitting first by 3 pts, will post a full overview at midpoint of the season.

GiKi3Zf.png?1

Midway through the season.  No cup distractions.  Very happy with league performance.  Was very dominant at the start, tailed off a bit recently.  League seems fairly week this year, with no team really seeming intent on rising to the occasion.  GK out for 3 months with a shoulder injury is a worry but some other good signings to help things along.  Got a really good young DM and finally a decent DR.  My striker started out really in form but has faltered recently.  If I keep some semblance of form I should be champs by the end of the season.  Outside of my sweet FA Cup run, the rest of my cup performances were underwhelming.

UWCiPq5.png?1

We9IC8V.png?1

HNdelmP.png?1

Reminder to self, never post an anticipated promotion at mid-season.  Had a horrid run of games and a rash of injuries.  Luckily my GK is back soon, might be able to salvage something but it's looking grim.  A few other teams found their form as I lost mine.  Sitting 6 pts back with 8 games to go.

ct4JyYo.png?1

Another season in lvl 9 complete, will get to try it again next year.  Feeling positive even though point total and position were worse than last year.  Lost my GK for 3 months, while my striker refused to score any goals.  Had three strange draws, had commanding leads in each only to give up inexcusable goals.  Feel good going into the next season, we seem to be in contention for promotion each season.  Hopefully we can do a little better in the cups next season.  Shooting for a 1st round berth in the FA Cup.

obdO4xT.png?1

zgM5jHz.png?1

3SuSDIF.png?1

A very uninspiring cup run to kick things off, managed 1 win in 4 cups.  Got behind early in the FA Cup match and they killed me while I chased the result.  Decent results through the mid point of the season.  Not high expectations this time around, just trying to stave off my normal mid season slump.  Seeming to have a real hard time with lower table teams on the road.  Can't seem to find the right mix to win those road games I should be winning.

7oOglb8.png?1

4O7UWao.png?1

MDJTElM.png?1

Feb results

Consistency is not a trait of my team.  Although we are heading towards that 5th spot on the table which would be the same as the past few years.  1st game in march is with Balcombe, another important chance to make a stab at promotion.

MyduoiU.png?1

MEGCyzY.png?1

Misery, Misery, Misery.  Such is the end of my seasons.  On March 3rd I played Balcombe, won with ease and moved to the top of the table.  Through the remaining 7 matches I managed 4 pts.  Hoping to find some mid-field support for next season.  A couple of young players came through well last year who show good potential, so hope springs eternal but boy is it a grind right now.

Not much with the youth intake, would love to see that DL develop.

YZCjSLh.png?1

PGlauif.png?1iSw0Brq.png?1

ywqRsiC.png?1

Strange 1st half of the season, defense has been solid, offense has been non-existent.  Brought in a new striker to support my inconsistent one and it took him 10 games to score a goal.   Was a little more respectable in the cups this year, FA Vase run was the best in several years.  Lots of games on the fixture list in January, I'll update again after those are through.

6vbQiGg.png?1

oKPpDSk.png?1

j1mjFco.png?1

Here is a quick look at the finances of County League (lvl 9) football.  I've taken the top team, Cuckfield, a mid table team, Keymer, and the last place Wingate and listed their contracts.  It's pretty glaring as to why each team is where they are.  It's not a guarantee though.  Over the past three years, Hawkhurst have outspent everyone and they generally struggle to compete for the top.

Cuckfield Town - Media pre-season prediction 1st

1RBD4Ua.png?1

Keymer & Hassocks  ($140k annual budget, $6500 player max) Media pre-season prediction 9th

Gl2VZLt.png?1

Wingate & Finchley - Media pre-season prediction 20th

Vgge2I8.png?1

February Update

Better month.  Had a good run of games.  Got Cuckfield for a 4th time, went straight defensive and managed to force extra time, but they got two cheap goals to deny me a cup final.  A little better on the youth intake.

G4wz9Tb.png?1

GzzG1Yz.png?1

C6bD4YF.png?1

The gap between the top teams and the bottom teams in that division for how low down they are is amazing.

Its probably the same equivalent though of the Premier league.

Good effort so far, seem to have stalled a little bit in this tier.

5 hours ago, andychar said:

The gap between the top teams and the bottom teams in that division for how low down they are is amazing.

Its probably the same equivalent though of the Premier league.

Good effort so far, seem to have stalled a little bit in this tier.

That gap is part of the frustration of this tier but I knew going in that this promotion is the hardest.  It's not this pronounced every year and money does not automatically fix everything.  I'm interested to see how it plays out for Cuckfield over the next few years.  My own finances are horrible, it would make my life much easier to have management who would invest something in the club.

Surprisingly good end to the season.  Since the league was long gone, I played a few up and coming younger players and for the most part they did really well.  Made a few tactical tweaks and feel really good going into the next season.  If somehow we could put together a full season of form promotion might be a possibility.

M2fkLKg.png?1

HoZzsDJ.png?1

089kH5S.png?1

Looking at the three leagues listed for 2041 it is a bit surprising the only current league side amongst them being Newport County. Would have expected more than that, as it is quite common for sides to fold & rebuild again after exiting the Football league, without just falling down the leagues.

Here are the rest.  I've done several of these type of saves over the years but this particular one has had more consistency in the Premier League than any other by far.  I've noticed no relegations that would raise an eyebrow and no one outside of the big boys have won the title.  Only Everton have won the FA Cup besides that grouping. 

BKlgkGR.png?1

C1Y02fd.png?1

yBorC9t.png?1

N9700NU.png

gyAqjQn.png?1

EhXtTom.png?1

8 minutes ago, andychar said:

The year is 2041...and still Mansfield Town sit in League Two.

And Yeovil still battling relegation back to non league.  :(

Love the fact a team called Pershore are close to the Football League and Prudhoe Youth Club are in the sixth tier.  Must be some youth club!  :lol:

Mid-season update

Good run of cup games except for that FA Cup match.  Two hard draws coming up but it has been a better run than the past few seasons.

a4Z67sR.png?1

Great run of league form, team has played really well while dealing with lots of minor injuries.  Lack of transfer money is making me use my youth more and for the most part they are holding up.  

tHsRwuJ.png?1

Very happy with league position.  Balcombe started hot but has faltered a bit.  Bosham and Rotherfield are picked to win and have the money invested to do it.  I am sensing an extended winning run by one or both in the next two months.  Not sure if I can keep it close or not.  First half of the season feels like progress in the right direction, interesting to see how the remaining months play out.

O9N3Bs7.png?1

Jan & Feb Update

Pretty typical youth intake.  With some investment in the training system we could probably do a little more with the young kids.  

LX3Y1eL.png?1

Had a great run in the cups.  Managed to get a final for the first time in a while.  Will be a nice end to the season.

XK3tZga.png?1

Still where I want to be in league.  Had a great start to the year.  Keeping my hopes in check but could not ask for much more at the moment.  13 matches to go, praying for some continued good form.

zvXj1bA.png?1

hB6FoEN.png?1

Season 5 in the Southern Combination Football League Premier Division has come to a close.

It was a March to forget.

tVlBB0h.png?1

Thought I had a real shot heading into March but just never materialized.  Excluding the finish, which was a disappointment, had a good season.  I'll be back next season working hard to compete with the rich teams once again.

jN45kRW.png?1

lHCGVNt.png?1

New season getting ready to kick off.  

Looked at the estimated value of some of my competitors.  The playing field is not level.

East Court $1.7m

Ore Athletic $1.4m

Crawley Panthers $800k

Keymer & Hassocks $35k

Mile Oak $16k  This team gives me hope, they never had a meteoric rise, not flush with cash and still managed to win the league a few years back.  I hold out hope for all the stars to align right for us one of these years as well.  (Or new management, come on sugar daddy.) 

FGwZkzk.png?1

That was a big achievement last season for newly promoted Selsey to have won both Southern Combination cups last season. Yet are only 1000-1 & bottom for success this season. I presume from those odds they haven't got the resources like others have, & must give you hope.

My GM found this gem of a player.  Have high hopes for his future.

lqKa0yI.png?1

Very happy with FA Cup run, set records for attendance and gate receipts, got some much need income.  Got burnt in extra time going for the win instead of trying to hold no for penalty kicks.  Still have a chance at a trophy that is a positive as well.

HiTm9O3.png?1

Fairly stable league run.  My current strikers are both on a goal drought, might have to start looking at some loans to supplement their inconsistency.  When they fall to pieces I generally start loosing to much to be in contention.  

7yYd8E3.png?1

Ore Atheletic is threatening to run away with the league this year.  Balcombe will falter again but East Court is buying up players to make a run.  Selsey is outperforming expectations but like Balcombe I see them fading away.  I'd be surprised if Ore or East Court did not win the league.  I'm predicting another 5th place finish for us.

eStU2AM.png?1

Archived