Please hide the numbers

warlock

This is something that has bothered me for years, and reading all of the complaints in the GD and feedback forums and threads I think it's more important than ever. We all know that underlying the entire game is a database of numbers - attributes, PA, CA, historical data, everything. And the database is awesome. But that fact leads so many players down a path of trying to 'game' the game. If my CF has this and that attribute, what role and duty do I choose to exploit those numbers? How do I maximise the PA of my newgen defender? Why does my winger (crossing: 18) not deliver perfect crosses? How can my AM (penalties: 17) miss so many?

It would be more realistic, and - I would argue, better - if everything was couched in more human and vague terms. Tell us that our coaches rate a player as 'great', or 'good', or 'poor' for different aspects of the game (tackling, passing, crossing, finishing, heading). It seems weird that we have that now in some aspects (injury-prone, inconsistent) and not others. I'd say it was far more realistic to tell us that a player was 'quick' rather than 'pace:15, acceleration: 14); or that a defender was 'decent' at heading rather than 'jumping reach: 14; heading: 12).

And for the sake of clarity, I'm not arguing that the database should be vague - the database should be as accurate as human interpretation can allow. I'm just saying that no real-world manager can look at two defenders and say one has tackling of 14 and one of 15, or that one striker has finishing of 15 versus the other with composure of 12.

I tried to raise something akin some time back, you can read through this thread (now closed), and maybe revive it with this one :)

Especially this comment by @YKW who refers to an older post in a previous thread.

Basically, I'd prefer that all attributes where to be hidden "under the hood", and what was available to the viewer (manager) was (depending on how scouted said player were) things like speed (how fast he runs 100m), acceleration (30/40m dash), strenght (weightlifting), stamina (longer runs and O2-numbers) and so on, instead of the way of quantifying attributes like we see today. Of course those attributes would have to be there in the db, otherwise the job would be near impossible for the researchers, but I'd like to change how they're presented in-game.

3 hours ago, Maaka said:

Basically, I'd prefer that all attributes where to be hidden "under the hood", and what was available to the viewer (manager) was (depending on how scouted said player were) things like speed (how fast he runs 100m), acceleration (30/40m dash), strenght (weightlifting), stamina (longer runs and O2-numbers) and so on, instead of the way of quantifying attributes like we see today. Of course those attributes would have to be there in the db, otherwise the job would be near impossible for the researchers, but I'd like to change how they're presented in-game.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. But having read through that earlier topic, I can see there are controversies that I didn't expect :rolleyes:.

13 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Use the preferences to hide them and go off scout reports. :D 

12 hours ago, Haiku said:

Yeah, someone told me to set alpha values of attributes' colors to 1 and they will disappear. It works.

Yes, this would work to an extent, but doesn't really cover the "other" part of my suggestion. Personally, I don't hide the attributes, but I tend not to look at them, instead I use the octagon, and of course, scouting/coaching reports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2018 at 08:10, Maaka said:

Yes, this would work to an extent, but doesn't really cover the "other" part of my suggestion. Personally, I don't hide the attributes, but I tend not to look at them, instead I use the octagon, and of course, scouting/coaching reports.

Hey mate, based on the octagon, does this = what you would expect?

@craiigman
Hadn't noticed that. Seems strange. Anyway, it's like someone said in that thread, the octagon kinda just gives you the opportunity to take a quick glance at the player's strong/weak areas, and isn't as detailed as the attributes. Thus being a bit more realistic than having a set of set numbers for the attributes. But I'd still like them to be shown as previously said, pace: 100m dash (or 200m), acceleration: 40m dash, stamina: O2/longer running times, strength: weightlifting and so on.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

We've discussed this a few times internally about how we could potentially look to represent the attributes differently. Of course there's already the option to display attributes as a bar chart, to use the polygon or some people have got creative with skins and removed them altogether. 

We appreciate you raising the issue again here. 

Reviewed so locked. 

Archived