FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

I would hacve sold him, for me personally his passing stat is too low, as is concentration, creativity,flair and determination. But thats just the way ive set my united team up, he is a good player but i would sell him especially for 50 million... unless you dont need the cash in which case keep him and see how it goes.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ye im still considering it Campells :)

Anyway im in the transfer window now 2013/2014. And my squad is growing too big.

manutd2013.jpg

Any recommendations about who to sell ? and where to strengthen?

Wilshere and one of my regen strikers are going on a logn term loan. I will try to get rid of carrick as i've just bough kuzmanovic. And im thinking of selling one of my wingers. It will probably be either Obertan or Sanchez, but who to sell :D?

Fiorillo havnt turned out the way i hoped, so im thinking of selling him as well and bring in a new backup GK. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Depends how Sanchez and Obertan have turned out, usually Obertan looks worse because of his physical stats. So judge it on how they have performed during your tenure.

Got an offer worth £60m for Obertan so i sold him :)

Got an offer worth £60m for Obertan so i sold him

Great deal. Alexis Sanchez is great I would say. It is reasonable that he can't get into the first team, but he could do the same things that your other wingers capable of.

I have my team as shown in post 4574.

I am currently thinking about my transfers in and out.

Firstly is my centre midfielders. I have Fletcher, Veloso, Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves. Carrick and Hargreaves are aging but they are still performing well for my team and I am reluctant to sell them now, any suggestion to replace them in the future? I think I do need only one.

The next thing is should I keep Danny Simpson? He is a decent player but he does face competition with the likes of Marco Motta and N'Koulou. Another advantage of having Simpson is to fulfill the requirement of home grown rules for UCL.

Bodgan Lobont is complaining! He is for sure a backup for Sergio Asenjo. If I get rid of him, any decent GK can be used as the replacement for Lobont?

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to sell my star players but now I think every club is going to start hunting them and they are getting unsettled!

Juventus is hunting Anderson...

Sevilla is hunting Carrick...

Juventus and Chelsea is hunting Nani...

There are also clubs who keep bothering Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic and Ferdinand...geez!

UnitedSweden, don't worry. If they come with offers or enquiries, you increase the price to the ridiculous one, as high as possible. Then the other team will just stay away and your players won't blame you that you reject the offer straight away. Done!

No one is leaving as the decision is in your hand.

UnitedSweden, don't worry. If they come with offers or enquiries, you increase the price to the ridiculous one, as high as possible. Then the other team will just stay away and your players won't blame you that you reject the offer straight away. Done!

No one is leaving as the decision is in your hand.

Nevrin, thanks, I have been doing that now and they withdraw, if they don't then I get money for a new player of same caliber.

A note for all you who ask concerning formation, strategy and tactics. I have been studying a great manual that I recommend all new managers to read, that are struggling and don't really understand the point of FM2009, there is a sticky on the tactis and training thread, look for "Tactical Theorems and Frameworks ’09" and read that 50 page manual, all your questions and concerns will be fulfilled, ideas will flow and you can edit and creat your own winning tactic! :thup:

I have my team as shown in post 4574.

I am currently thinking about my transfers in and out.

Firstly is my centre midfielders. I have Fletcher, Veloso, Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves. Carrick and Hargreaves are aging but they are still performing well for my team and I am reluctant to sell them now, any suggestion to replace them in the future? I think I do need only one.

The next thing is should I keep Danny Simpson? He is a decent player but he does face competition with the likes of Marco Motta and N'Koulou. Another advantage of having Simpson is to fulfill the requirement of home grown rules for UCL.

Bodgan Lobont is complaining! He is for sure a backup for Sergio Asenjo. If I get rid of him, any decent GK can be used as the replacement for Lobont?

Thanks in advance.

Probably best if you look at newgens GK's, rather than spending big on a backup? Otherwise look at Renan (Valencia and Internacional one)

Hopey and Kugle, will the players you suggest willing to be back up? Lol this is the problem that I concerned. I know for sure the likes of Ben Foster and Igor Akinfeev keep complaining.

Just employ a good rotation system, basically i have ochoa and mandanda as main keepers on my save who i rotate every 7 games or so, as well as my newgen keeper, although he will be taking over duties from mandanda soon because he is rather old now in my save

Offer him a new contract, or do what i do....

Sell him, trust me there are better players out there, and what season are you in so that i can come up with alternatives.

I never keep a player at my club if they dont want to be there, no matter who it is. But thats just me trying to be nice to my virtual players :p

Could I Be The Next Fergie?

Summary: Basically, I have done that many Man City games with £150m a season, I have grown bored of the colour SKY BLUE Haha! So I thought I would give Man United a go on the 9.0.3 patch as per usaul. The small amount of money given (£10m) was quite refreshing to all the other teams I usaully choose, so after looking at the team I was made to work with, one thing came to my head... World Class Youth was needed, so lets move on to Transfers.

Formation: I play a 4-1-3-2 (Sexy Football) with a holding defensive midfielder, brilliant tactic for a United team, would recommend it deffinatly.

formationy.jpg

Transfers: RIGHT BACK! Yeah, thats was my first thought when looking at the team, G. Neville and Rafael really arent up to Prem standards in my own oppinion. Also just basic youth was needed all over the team, I mainly strengthened the whole attacking force as I enjoy bringing up young quality strikers, so heres my Ins & Outs...

IN

David Santon - He was straight into the first team, as I had luck with the random PA

Andrea Mazzarani - Backup for Santon, but excess to requirements at beggining.

Ruben Rochina - BARGAIN, even if its just for profit next season or he becomes quality, I can't go wrong.

Ander - Another profit thing basically, as Man United need to raise funds.

Alexis Sanchez - Has the quality to break into first team over Nani if he keeps improving.

Arturo Vidal - I brought him in on a couple month loan to cover Hargreaves, who recovered quicker than i thought he would.

Robert Lewandowski - More profit searching, yeah im a bargain hunter lol.

Roman Zozulya - OMG, for just £2k theres no going wrong, easy couple million profit out of him.

Alberto Paloschi - I'll explain further down.

Jonathan Cristaldo - I have seen Bolton and Blackburn pay upto £10m for him later on in games, so thought I would get ahead of the game and be prepared for offers in couple seasons.

OUT

Darren Fletcher - £8m (Wasn't needed really)

Just sent all my youngsters out on loan really.

transfersg.jpg

Key Player

Paloschi

paloschii.jpg

Omg, Im only up to December 2008 and he's improved so much, its unreal, he really is a talent. Tutoring him has lowered his Determination as per usaul which is disapointing but really raised his stats. He may not have scored many goals, but the goals he's scored have been great finishes, and a couple of important ones as well.

Fixtures, League & Cups

league.jpg

Great performance in league, Vidic & Ferdinand are stopping the goals flow in, the defence is the main key behind not conceding. Never been on a run like this on FM2009 yet, did it with Arsenal on FM2008 and Chelsea FM2007 but thats going OT.

Champions League im qualified for, but still could finish second yet, depending on last game, not so consistent in Europe tho, I have lost to Zenit 1-0 and drew to Roma.

Carling Cup in the semi's again West Ham, and Won Supercup 5-0 Against Zenit, Destroyed.

If anyone has any suggestions for the United team of mine, please say, as im open to anything to keep this run going.

Tyoldinho

Dammit Gourcuff wants a new challenge and is therefor unhappy. He's irreplaceable and selling him is a total no go. What do i do?

Give him time; in a while he will become happy again

Hey guys, mind helping me out a bit. I want Berbatov to play as the Targetman and Rooney dropping down to defend. How do I set this up? Also, should the TM have high CF or low?

thanks

Berbatov - Highish mentality, mixed creative freedom, forward runs mixed, run with ball either rarely or mixed, through balls often or mixed, ticked hold up ball, place him on the target man list in the team instructions?

Rooney - Give him alot lower mentality, forward runs rarely, run with ball often.

Ahh, i didnt need that kinda money ;) i was happy for a realistic price for him.

but why the hell did shaktar bid, he chose shaktar over man city :p good lad!!!!

Glory Glory Man United, Glory Glory Man United!

So the first leg, I used a tactic that was recommended on the forums, lost 4-2 away.

The second leg, first half I used a more closed down defending tactic, was losing 1-0 at halftime. After halftime I changed to home tactic and won 4-1 which means I move to the finals! It took me the entire day of Friday from 06:00 in the morning until 14:00 in the afternoon to create these 4 tactics on scrap paper, then enhancing them in FM2009...;)

So the 50-page manual helps that I recommended, I have made 4 tactics depending on who I play, where I am playing and if I am predicted to win or lose.

Sharing the game with the lads of United!

Chelsea Hammered

Right after yet another successful season I have decided to make some dramatic changes to my squad, for the new season 2013/14.

Money was not a problem but has you will see i ended up not even over spending with the names i brought in due to my selling power!!

I play a flat 4-4-2 and don't actually play with a defensive minded MC, i would rather have an attack minded one even against the top teams, i haven't notice much difference. Even playing someone like MAta, Aguero,MArquinhos at MC they end up winning tackles anyway......but i like to have pace all over especially attack has the front six have rwb often.....they all swap positions...2 sc, 2 mr/lm, and the 2 mc. PLUS all 6 are on freeroles!!!

Transfers IN/OUT:

07262009081533.th.jpg

Has you can see play the right game and you can totally rip off the stupid AI!!!!

Squad:

07262009081652.th.jpg

Last year i averaged over 3 goals a game quite easily....so far looks just as good....

07262009081822.th.jpg

07262009081903.th.jpg

Any chance of uploading your save game? Your team looks immense, and i could never get benzema to come to me, and by the time he did actually accept he was 31 so cancelled the transfer and bought a regen.

Any chance of uploading your save game? Your team looks immense, and i could never get benzema to come to me, and by the time he did actually accept he was 31 so cancelled the transfer and bought a regen.

my save game is like 150MB big.....and this is actually the 2nd restored game has the first one got corrupted somehow. with benzema it took me 2 long years sucking upto him and the lyon manager...before he decided he wanted a new challenge. it was either him or bojan but went for benzema has i never signed him before. but this season decided to buy the big names...has the regens coming through were absolutely crap!!

adoins, how did you get so much money for selling your players? And also how did you buy your players for a relatively cheap price? The sale value for Messi/Benzema etc. is usually over 100 mill. Did you just keep complementing them and declaring your interest and keep doing that over and over?

adoins, how did you get so much money for selling your players? And also how did you buy your players for a relatively cheap price? The sale value for Messi/Benzema etc. is usually over 100 mill. Did you just keep complementing them and declaring your interest and keep doing that over and over?

I use the fee after 10 league appearances where i always end up getting £40m and the rest upfront.

I am about 5/6 years in the game and Real MAdrid have won the league every year which meant Messi was getting fustrated....but like i said before it took 2 years of complimenting him and the manager....gets boring doing it every month or so..but boils down to luck as well if the players gets upset. i have seen elsewhere on these forums where people get Messi for around the £45m and Benzema as well but abit cheaper.

Just be patience also with selling players..keep on offering them and sooner or later a dumb AI club will bid the full amount. Inter or BArcelona do it for me every time!! :D

Bad luck or possibly no room for these players :rolleyes:

I was offered Higuain from Real Madrid...I have no money left...

I was offered Albiol from Valencia...I have no money left and I don't know if I really want him...

I was offered Van Der Vaart from Real Madrid...he was really good in FM08 but I don't know in FM09 and I really want an English player to replace Scholes, Anderson is doing good, so is Carrick but I want someone else...

Lol you can't get anyone without any cash except free players.

Another way is to sell the players at other position that you think who are surplus to the requirement, get the money and make a new signing.

Hi,

So far I'm enjoying this save more than other fm games. I quickly extended my wage budjet a transfer budjet to 24.5m(transfers). And here are my transfers for the first summer in charge at Old Trafford.

In:

Yury Zhirkov - Wb/M/AML - 15m - CSKA Moscow - They wanted a lot and he chose me over Man City :D

Alexis Sanchez - AMR/AML/ST - 4.4m - Following my tradition again, I hope he'll start a few games.

Davide Santon - LB/WBL, ML, AML - 1.4m - Inter - Again following a tradition, good buy I hope and might start a few games.

Darjio Srna - R/LB, WBR/L, ML,R - 13m - Shakhtar - Another solid signing, I needed a right back and I got one of the best available.

Out's

Darren Fletcher - DM/CM - 10m - Newcastle - He rejected a 12.75m move to Man City, felt I needed the funds, and I did to buy Zhirkov

Park Ji-Sung - AML/R/C - 6.75m - Aston Villa - Needed to get my wage budjet healthy, and didn't quite need him.

So now for pre-season, I must inform you that while holidaying a friendly for a bit too much than I wanted, the assistant somehow lent Santon out on loan to Birmingham, which I wasn't best pleased about, anyhow here's the friendly's:

Charleoi A Friendly - 2-0 - Berbatov, Tosic

Genk A Friendly - 1-0 - Scholes

Gent A Friendly - 3-0 - OG, Rooney, Berbatov

Kilmarnock A Friendly - 3-0 - Giggs(2), Evans

Altrincham A Friendly - 5-0 - Tevez(3), James, Nani

Antwerp A Friendly - 7-0 - Fabio, Macheda(2), Zhirkov(2), Tosic, Eckersley.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So pre- season went better as it went along, a solid win vs Antwerp was a nice touch,anyway with Ferdinand and Srna out of The community shield it was going to be tough, here's the result:

Community Shield 2009 - Wembley - Portsmouth vs Manchester United

Portsmouth 0 - 2 Manchester United - Rooney, Vidic

We played well and comfortable in this match, let the season begin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A shocking start to the season even if we did manage to win, the match after was similar, then we started to pick up.

West Brom - H - Premiership - 2-1 - Zhirkov, Berbatov - A 98th minute(94 minutes added on) Berbatov goal rescued us here, very vital.

Portsmouth - H - Premiership -0-0 - N/A - Not very happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

European Super Cup Final:

Zenit St Petersburg 1-1 Manchester United(Zenit win on pens) - Berbatov

Frustrating, but oh well winning this would only be a bonus, not a big deal let's try and win some games, Blackburn away next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn A Premiership - 1-0 - Berbatov - a solid and much needed away win, Liverpool drew every game so far!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champions League Group A

Zenit St Petersburg - A - 3-2 - Carrick(2), Ferdinand - Revenge was good as we again dominated away from home, next up Arsenal away, oh great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal A Premiership - 1-0 - Tevez

A fantastic match to watch as both sides had their chances, Tevez chested dribbled and scored a fantastic curling strike in the 84th minute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plymouth Argyle H League Cup - 1-0 - Srna

Now this was a game we dominated throughout. Scoreline might not prove it but the match stats will.

Shots

Man U 23

Plymouth 1

Shots on target

Man U 8

Plymouth 1

Clear Cut chances

Man U 0

Plymouth 0

Possession

Man U 60(percent)

Plymouth 40(percent)

I just don't get it 23 shots a 1 goal no clear cut chances 60 percent possesion. Now this is where I need HELP. On team mentallity/player instructions how do you get your team to scre more goals normally, because I'm creating the chances but soon there will be no goals, Srna's goal was a freekick! I tried Ronaldo up front for pace as instructed! What sliders should I change to get more goals because I got everything in that game.

Anyway we got through and next up is Fulham Home, I expect a win and hopefully enough goals.

I've just taken the hot seat at Old Trafford after 3 seasons with Newcastle. Just won the super cup by beating my old side 3-1 and looking to win the title this season. My team has had a makeover in the transfer window.....

IN - Asenjo (£9.25m) / Delle (£5m) / Zapata (£11m) / Damme (Free) / Camacho (£12.5m) / Drenthe (£3m) / Lennon (£2.5m) / Keirrison (£16m)

OUT - O'Shea (£2m) / Fabio (£4m) / Fletcher (£15m) / Campbell (£7.5m) & a host of reserve players including Welbeck & Gibson.

So my team is currently:

GK - Asenjo / Delle

DR - Zapata / Simpson

DL - Evra / Damme

DC - Ferdinand / Brown

DC - Vidic / Evans

MR - Ronaldo / Lennon

ML - Tosic / Drenthe

MC - Camacho / Carrick

MC - Barreto / Anderson

FC - Rooney / Berbatov

FC - Keirrson / Tevez

Overall I'm happy with the strength and depth of my squad....any thoughs / comments welcome!

I'm currently mid-way through the 2019/2020 season, and once again, I'm top of the league.

Having won the League every season, the Champions League every season bar 2, the World Club Championship every time I've been involved in it, as well as countless League Cups, Super Cups and FA Cups with United, plus Euro 2012, FIFA Confederations Cup 2013, 2014 World Cup, Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup with England, I am in 2 minds as to whether I should resign and embark on a new challenge. It really is a Heart vs Head situation. I'm almost half way to overtaking Fergie in terms of time spent managing the club (I've clearly overtaken him in trophies won!)

Any help guys? What should I do?

Keep on going. :thup:

You reckon? I'm getting annoyed at the board i must say. Unbeaten in the league (currently in December) and the board are only "pleased" with my performance. If and when I lose a game, they (Board) keep reminding me of it for months!! What the hell's their problem? I wonder whether they all retire, Gill's 60+ now!

Dammit Gourcuff wants a new challenge and is therefor unhappy. He's irreplaceable and selling him is a total no go. What do i do?

Offer him to clubs and mark him as transfer listed and set his squad status to not needed. Then after a few in-game days, set everything back to what they previously were and he will be happy again or he may have a slight concern but he will accept a new contract and the new challenge issue will disappear. :)

So my first season is over and I would like to share my results, I doubt I will post my other seasons because I have figured it out by now but it took my first season to get everything organized.

Club World Championship: Winner vs Pachuca 4-0

Champions Cup: Lost in the Semi Final vs Liverpool 4-4 (Liverpool was impossible to beat at home)

European Super Cup: Winner vs Zenit won in Penalties

Premier Division: Winner (was determined during last game of the season)

FA Cup: Winner vs Liverpool 3-1

League Cup: Winner vs Everton 1-0

Community Shield: Lost vs Portsmouth 1-2

Premier League

153 Goals Scored

56 Goals Conceded

61 Yellow Cards

73800 Average Attendance

5 different formations

Fotballer of the Year: Francesc Fabregas

Top Goalscorer: Carlos Tevez

Players' Player of Year: Wayne Rooney

Players' Young Player: Mario Balotelli

Manager of the Year: Niclas Klein (Man Utd)

Fans' Player of the Year: Nemanja Vidic

Best Eleven: Nemanja Vidic, Sergio Asenjo, Mario Balotelli, Wes Brown, Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs, Matias Fernandez, Miguel Veloso, Nani, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Mamadou Sakho, Alexis Sanchez, Darijo Srna and Edvin vad der Sar.

Top 5 Goalscorers

Wayne Rooney 24 (52 Appearances)

Nemanja Vidic 20 ( 57 Appearances)

Mario Balotelli 15 (28 Appearances)

Nani 13 (41 Appearances)

Dimitar Berbatov 11 (39 Appearances)

Top 5 Assistors

Ryan Giggs 16 (13 Appearances)

Matias Fernandez 14 (41 Appearances)

Mario Balotelli 13

Alexis Sanchez 12 (37 Appearances)

Wayne Rooney 11

Top 5 Man Of Match

Nemanja Vidic 8

Wayne Rooney 6

Mario Balotelli 5

Darijo Srna 5 (35 Appearances)

Rio Ferdinand 4 (38 Appearances)

Top 5 Average Rating

Nemanja Vidic 7.52

Rio Ferdinand 7.44

Darijo Srna 7.38

Ryan Giggs 7.15

Patrice Evra 7.13 (51 Appearances)

Players in

Henri Saivet $11.25

Mario Balotelli $15.5

Mamadou Sakho $12.5

Sergio Asenjo $12.5

Matias Fernandez $14.5

Alexis Sanchez $15.5

Miguel Veloso $17.5

Darijo Srna $32.5

John Bostock $8.25

John Fleck $4.2

Davide Santon $9.5

Players out/loan

Rafael (Antwerp loan)

Henri Saivet (Antwerp loan)

John O'shea $10

Darren Fletcher $38

Tomasz Kuszczak $8

Carlos Tevez $41.5

Owen Hargreaves $25.5

John Fleck (Antwerp loan)

Rodrigo Possebon (Antwerp loan)

Davide Santon (Antwerp loan)

Park Ji-Sung $1.1 loan fee + total $12.5 if bought

Mauncho $6.5

Magnus Eikrem $400K

Players in during season

Albin Ekdal $9

Adem Ljajic $7.5

Thiago on a free

Jack Wilshere $4

Players out during season

Richard Eckersley on a free

Darron Gibson on a free

Sam Hewson on a free

So for next season I am going to splash my transfer funds on a quality player or just not spend the budget, I have enough players for everything to go around.

• Balotteli proved to be better than Berbatov and will take his spot on the starting 11.
  • Danny Welbeck made 34 appearances with an average rating of 7.43.
  • Davide Petrucci made 12 appearances with an average rating of 7.06.
  • John Bostock made 21 appearances with an average rating of 7.47.
  • Fraizer Campbell won the English Premier Division Goal of the Season while playing for Tottenham.
  • Davide Santon made 30 appearances with an average rating of 7.52.
  • Rafael made 31 appearances with an average rating of 7.44.
  • Henri Saivet made 28 appearances with an average rating of 7.20.
  • John Fleck made 23 appearances with an average rating of 6.97.

So, I have too many strikers and Balotelli proved to be better than Berbatov...

Danny Welbeck

Fraizer Campbell

Wayne Rooney

John Fleck

Mario Balotelli

Alexis Sanchez

Henri Saivet

Cristiano Ronaldo

Real Madrid and Barcelona have accepted my demand for $78M for Berbatov?

Archived