Quick advice on tactics roles in my 4-4-1-1

I was doing ok but my tactic seems to have started to fail, so going back to basics and wanted advice on whether the basic roles I have picked are sensible, then I will test instructions once I am happy...  so playing with these roles:

GK-D

FB-SU  CD-ST  CD-CO  FB-SU

WM-A  RPM-S  CM-D  WM-A

AM-A

F9-S

So can anyone see anything glaring obvious.

Cheers

Need a lot more info. What kind of club are you (big/middle/small for your league?) ... are you playing attacking, standard, defensive? Deep line or high line?

For instance personally I would never play a staggered centre back pairing, unless I had a deep line, defensive strategy with a holding DM in the mix. I'd never play two attacking wide men unless I was boxing it off defensively (double pivot infront of two cbs)

I'd never play a F9 without someone in front occupying the defenders I.e. an AF or IFs ... Your AM A will occupy similar space.

What are you trying to achieve and what problems are you seeing?

Well I change between Control and Counter depending on how I want to approach the game, have been playing as Newcastle but going to start a new save as Wigan...  instructions are:

Retain possession
Play out of defence (except when playing counter)
Exploit the middle
Low Crosses
Slightly Narrower
Stay on Feet (Get stuck in when playing counter)

I wanted to kinda play with a strikerless formation with the three attacking midfielders pushing on (the AM, MR and ML) with the F9 and RPM being creative and support on the wings from FBs so keep a better defensive shape.  I play with a normal defensive line and change from CD-S x 2 to the staggered CD's when playing control as I conceeding goals, on counter the formation works OK so stuck with the CD-D x 2.

What I am seeing is only the MR and ML seem to get chances followed by the F9, the AM rarely seems to get chances, I thought as the F9 floated around it would create space for the AM to run into...  part of the problem I think is the defensive line, should I play with a higher line when playing control?

Archived