Christmas Tree Formation

Just now, Rooks said:

Used it in FM17. Got some success with it, but never developed it further. Allot of goals with Ajax and Southampton. 

did u use many tactical instructions? for example work ball into box etc etc...

I think you might want to consider a few questions about the tactic if you are looking to improve it.

1) Which player is regularly getting into the box and finishing chances?

2) What happens when the BWM's come rushing out of position to win the ball and fail to regain possession?

3) Who is going to supply the low crosses which tend to need to come from the byline?

4) Who covers for your wingbacks when they go forward?

5) In order to get the best out of your playmaker, how many realistic targets does your playmaker have in order to progress the attack?

I think once you have reliable answers to those questions you will have a solid basis to work from. 

Sorry couldn't resist :).

Anyway, the 4321 isn't that different from the 4312 or even the narrow 442 diamond.  Strength through the centre, useful to have hard working and creative fullbacks.  @Rashidi has been doing a lot with the 4312, so well worth checking out his articles and YT channel.

18 hours ago, steff91 said:

did u use many tactical instructions? for example work ball into box etc etc...

I do not have the file anymore because I deleted FM17. Used 2 SS and a Complete Forward Attack with I think 2 Box-to-Box and 1 Deep Lying Playmaker with Wingbacks/Fullbacks on Attack. TI's where something in the line of Play out of Defence, Work Ball into Box, Pass into Space, ect.. The usual. 

I don't you need two BWM in midfield. You can change one of them either to a B2B/CM(a) to add presence in the final third, or a Carrillero add the wingback.

Also, I suspect the trio of AP/s, AM/s, DF/s can call move into the same space. You can try using one of the AM with an attacking duty, or the striker with a more attacking role.

• 10 months later...

I had some experiences in 17 with my Wolfsburg side. Similarly to you, I used two wide BWM because such a tight midfield is perfect for pressing the opponent. For the defense I then used Offside Traps and high lines to put the fight on foreign terrain. 

What I see in your formation: You have no finishing player in your lineup and play a rather slow game which probably results in handball maneuvres around the penalty area. Your front players are mostly about pressing and passing and thus will try to carry the ball in or looking for better positioned teammates. It can work but I guess only with very specific players or a vastly superior team. 

My front lineup back then was: AP(s)-SS(a)—DLF(a).  The AP was the front distributor for the attackers who targeted the goal from different areas and also had a good chemistry together. On high lines the DLF could run through, fed by those two behind him. On lower lines he keeps them in place while the SS gains long shot opportunities. It is hard defending against both. 

For such a slow game you plan, there are also two things you could consider:

1. The MC line. Giving everyone the Stops Play PPM or even the Dictates Tempo one helps keep the game in your hands while the front three (or the other wide player) get in position. Particularly for BWM these traits can be gold: They are too strong to easily dispossess and without the ball fight for it again and again. Once the ball is securely up front, there is also some nice new speed from the attackers. Another school of though would be giving the AP all these liberties but that would go against your base idea of keeping the ball and waiting for the right moment to strike.
  2. The fullbacks. I have had two roles I had success with: CWB(s) and FB(a). The former brings aggression and width on the upper wings, widening your attacks and bringing in plenty of crosses. Particularly with play-stopping MC they really bring some new options as they run through the flank while the BWM absorbs pressure. When caught up front are often in positions to really uphold the high pressing. The latter are more conservative in attack but are defensively more solid. Before the final sprint they often stay between the two midfield lines and give more options for retention and passing plays into the box, only going the full length at the end. 

As for the MC, you can experiment a lot with what works best. I had a third BWM but on defend duty. Once I also had a DLP but artificially turned into being more Regista like. There also is your CM(d). 

Archived