Can someone explain this please.

Sigh, another seemingly unitituve scenario waves it's baffling head.

I'm Gladbach, Media Prediction for first season 4th or 5th, I forget, I finished second, had a great season - Ass Man throughout this season was providing what I would consider mostly correct mentality suggestions based on my teams ability compared to opposition, mainly standard or control, though really didn't like me using structured, but it worked for me.

Anyway, season 2 roles around - every mentality suggestion so far has been to play counter - Media Prediction 4th again, and now I'm apparently the underdog against teams that barely escaped relegation.

Thoughts??? Also, my club repuation went down as well despite doing better than predicted and qualifying for champs league in my first seaons.

Counter does not necessarily mean you are being considered as underdogs. Counter mentality will make you play slower build ups, and also generally deeper. This can help when trying to break sides down who are defending against you, which they are more inclined to do now teams fear you more.

In contrast, standard or control can help you get the ball forward quicker, and play with more pace. This can help with taking advantage of teams who are more willing to attack you, since you are able to exploit space by being more direct.

Of course, you can always ignore your assistant and play however you feel is best!

5 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Counter does not necessarily mean you are being considered as underdogs. Counter mentality will make you play slower build ups, and also generally deeper.

Wait, wasn't Counter supposed to be faster ? What I mean is that "counter-attack" and "slow" don't seem like they go together. I mean who ever heard of a slow counter-attack ?

I always thought Control would be a slow build-up while Counter would be a more quick and direct pass type of thing.

well, the game actually tells you that, but its just a template of a counter tactic, you have to add some stuff to actually counter, mentality only affects how the defensive part of the tactic works, it is slow and deep for defense purpose, but when you get the ball back what do you do?...long ball to forwards or advance from the center of the field?...direct passing to get the ball fast to rivals area or short passing to make sure you dont get a counter-counter attack?...if you want to play counter with no real input play the offensive mentality, you just need to make sure the defense line isnt so high

P.D thats how i see it, like @Jebedaias said, who heard about a slow counter attack...in my book thats a canceled counter attack...

16 minutes ago, Jebedaias said:

Wait, wasn't Counter supposed to be faster ? What I mean is that "counter-attack" and "slow" don't seem like they go together. I mean who ever heard of a slow counter-attack ?

I always thought Control would be a slow build-up while Counter would be a more quick and direct pass type of thing.

Counter as mentality is different to 'counter-attack' which is a phase of play. Counter-attacks are triggered by your opponents behaviour (over-committing in your half) and then yes, your team would attack quickly.

However, as mentioned this is triggered based on the opponents behaviour. There is still the times where you have the ball i.e. a goal kick and have to mount normal transitions of play. Counter being a lower risk mentality would lend itself to a slower safer style of play.

of course... you can play defensive with high tempo and direct passing... and you could play attacking with slow tempo and short passing. But in general terms his point is correct.

In terms of the post though, I'd say forget football logic, it does seem a simple quirk based on the fact your team rep has decreased.

Archived