Quality of youth intake.

I have a question in regards to the above topic, I have been playing as Rangers and have noticed a significant decrease in the quality of youth players joining me on the youth intake day. I have in my time won 6 league titles, 9 domestic trophies, 1 Europa League, which has increased the teams reputation, my reputation is 4.5 stars. I have increased the quality of the training and youth facilities; as well as significantly strengthening the quality of my DOF, HOYD, U20's coaching team and coaching team. 

In my first two seasons I had 4 players who joined on 5 star potential (3 of which are in the first team now, with 3-5 star ratings) but for the last 3 years haven't had anyone come into the youth intake rated over 2.5 stars potential. 

What do I need to do to improve this, is it a RNG? 

Thanks  

Remember that the stars are based on who you have in the team already, so if you have amazing players, even good youth intakes will only show as 2.5-3 stars, because they'd be average in your team.

1 minute ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Remember that the stars are based on who you have in the team already, so if you have amazing players, even good youth intakes will only show as 2.5-3 stars, because they'd be average in your team.

Thanks that's a good point I hadn't considered. 

I'd like to think the money I've spent on youth coaching etc would bear something towards increasing quality. 

Junior Coaching  and Youth Recruitment are all facilities you have the ability to upgrade, and your HOYD has a big impact a swell.

Essentially, the standard of players appearing on intake day is down to the quality of recruitment and training they receive BEFORE they reach 15/16yrs old and appear in the triallists list..

Facilities, recruitment and HOYD are the key.

2 hours ago, Snorks said:

Junior Coaching  and Youth Recruitment are all facilities you have the ability to upgrade, and your HOYD has a big impact a swell.

Essentially, the standard of players appearing on intake day is down to the quality of recruitment and training they receive BEFORE they reach 15/16yrs old and appear in the triallists list..

Facilities, recruitment and HOYD are the key.

Actually, according to SI, the HOYD at most influences 4 players. He doesn't have quite as much of an impact as the majority of us though.

8 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Actually, according to SI, the HOYD at most influences 4 players. He doesn't have quite as much of an impact as the majority of us though.

@Seb Wassell  I believe this was something else which Stu mentioned recently.  Can you please confirm?

You can improve every aspect that has any control over the quality of youth players coming in, and you're still just buying tickets to a lottery.  You can buy more tickets than everyone else, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to win.  A lot of people seem to treat the youth academy side of things as more of a sure thing than it is.  Plus you're in a city with more than one club, meaning more competition.  Celtic definitely, perhaps Thistle, pretty sure Queen's Park with their decent record will be too.

Plus you've said you're getting players in at 2.5 potential.  That essentially means they have the potential to be as good as an average player in your current squad.  That's what I'd expect from most youth intakes.  Big potential players don't come around too often, it's all luck.

56 minutes ago, ftblmanager said:

I have excellent youth facilities, Exceptional junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment. 

But you're still in Scotland.  The country you are in also has an impact on the quality of your youth intake.

57 minutes ago, ftblmanager said:

When I say 2,5 stars I mean black stars. not gold  

That just means your coaches are still assessing their quality.  As mentioned above, star ratings are in comparison to other similar players at your club.  2.5 stars is roughly an equivalent player with similar potential to your current first team.

1 hour ago, ftblmanager said:

I have excellent youth facilities, Exceptional junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment. 

And?  You're still just buying more tickets to a lottery.  There are factors you're not in control of, like herne says, that will be throttling you also.

1 hour ago, ftblmanager said:

And?  You're still just buying more tickets to a lottery.  There are factors you're not in control of, like herne says, that will be throttling you also.

46 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And? That's what I'm asking? Is there more at play. Was the point of my post. So it's an RNG really. 

hace 26 minutos, ftblmanager dijo:

And? That's what I'm asking? Is there more at play. Was the point of my post. So it's an RNG really. 

take it this way, the star rating is just for comparing the players with your teams best players, so after you get high CA player, there is a low probability to get a 4-5 stars PA players, or do you think barcelona's youth teams are getting players better than messi each year?...or player with better proyection than him?, you are getting the same quality of players, the problem is that you are now a top club in europe, and your current players are just too good for your intakes

33 minutes ago, ftblmanager said:

Improving the quality of your facilities and so on improves the chances of a better intake.  There is never any guarantee, just an improvement in your chances.

There are all sorts of factors which influence your youth intake.  Some are within your control (facilities, recruitment, club reputation etc) some you have little control over (such as your country's rep and youth rating).  Think of it this way - you can have the best facilities in the world but you'll still be in Scotland. 

I'm not trying to be rude about Scottish football there but if you're after some world class newgens, how often do world class Scottish players come along?  And even if you throw your net wider to attract newgens from other countries, you're still competing against the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, (dare I say England) and so on to get those players. 

Better facilities = a better chance of better newgens, but it's not a guarantee.

26 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Improving the quality of your facilities and so on improves the chances of a better intake.  There is never any guarantee, just an improvement in your chances.

There are all sorts of factors which influence your youth intake.  Some are within your control (facilities, recruitment, club reputation etc) some you have little control over (such as your country's rep and youth rating).  Think of it this way - you can have the best facilities in the world but you'll still be in Scotland. 

I'm not trying to be rude about Scottish football there but if you're after some world class newgens, how often do world class Scottish players come along?  And even if you throw your net wider to attract newgens from other countries, you're still competing against the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, (dare I say England) and so on to get those players. 

Better facilities = a better chance of better newgens, but it's not a guarantee.

You're dead to me.

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, herne79 said:

@Seb Wassell  I believe this was something else which Stu mentioned recently.  Can you please confirm?

I'm not sure on the exact number but he won't have a direct influence on every newgen coming through, it is geared towards the upper end of the intake.

• SI Staff
7 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

" ...but you'll still be in Scotland.  "

Andy Robertson ripping it up at Liverpool right now thank you very much.

I mean he's not exactly Roberto Carlos...

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 02:12, Seb Wassell said:

I'm not sure on the exact number but he won't have a direct influence on every newgen coming through, it is geared towards the upper end of the intake.

I had heard that as well, but still, it's an influence on the overall quality of the intake. I would rarely ever expect to see more than three or four from one intake really making it.

Andy Robertson, released by Celtic at 15, so would have received some of the best available youth nurturing in Scotland. But $8m and World Class?

Archived