Football Manager 2018 Ubuntu / Performance

Hey guys, I am planning on giving Ubuntu 18.04 a go and I would like to know how FM18 works on this OS. I currently use Windows 10 and I have no issues. My laptop is a powerful one (Lenovo Legion Y520) and I am running the game from a fast SSD. Is it still necessary to use Wine in order to boot up my FM 18 copy from Steam ? If it works, how is performance ? Ty in advance.

1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

Hey guys, I am planning on giving Ubuntu 18.04 a go and I would like to know how FM18 works on this OS. I currently use Windows 10 and I have no issues. My laptop is a powerful one (Lenovo Legion Y520) and I am running the game from a fast SSD. Is it still necessary to use Wine in order to boot up my FM 18 copy from Steam ? If it works, how is performance ? Ty in advance.

i was on linux mint for several years. Im now at deepin os and everything is perfect. You dont have to use Wine. Your game should behave without any issues - only install best graphic drivers for your laptop.

What is your best option for laptop is another question. IMO Ubuntu is slower than other "light" versions but its just my opinion.

Just now, krlenjushka said:

i was on linux mint for several years. Im now at deepin os and everything is perfect. You dont have to use Wine. Your game should behave without any issues - only install best graphic drivers for your laptop.

What is your best option for laptop is another question. IMO Ubuntu is slower than other "light" versions but its just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply krlenjushka. It has to be Ubuntu since I am somehow familiar with it from past years (my experience with Linux is very limited). I was asking about Wine because it 2010 I was using Ubuntu and I had to use Wine in order to install Steam. Am I able to install Steam without Wine ? As for performance, is it gonna be much slower than on Windows 10 ?

15 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Thanks for the reply krlenjushka. It has to be Ubuntu since I am somehow familiar with it from past years (my experience with Linux is very limited). I was asking about Wine because it 2010 I was using Ubuntu and I had to use Wine in order to install Steam. Am I able to install Steam without Wine ? As for performance, is it gonna be much slower than on Windows 10 ?

You can install steam without wine. I cant see any major performance difference between windows 10 and linux related to FM.  In other things - linux seems faster IMO.

Maybe best option for you is to  create multiboot usb stick and try different distros. Who knows which distro you may like for your needs.

I will never go back to windows.

Just now, krlenjushka said:

You can install steam without wine. I cant see any major performance difference between windows 10 and linux related to FM.  In other things - linux seems faster IMO.

Maybe best option for you is to  create multiboot usb stick and try different distros. Who knows which distro you may like for your needs.

I will never go back to windows.

Between replies, I watched a first impressions review of DeepinOS and it absolutly blew me away. It is similar to Ubuntu, just looks much crispier. I am creating a USB flash drive now and I will install it. I will install it on my SSD (128GB) but will it read my main HDD as easy as Windows does ?

Just now, SebastianRO said:

Between replies, I watched a first impressions review of DeepinOS and it absolutly blew me away. It is similar to Ubuntu, just looks much crispier. I am creating a USB flash drive now and I will install it. I will install it on my SSD (128GB) but will it read my main HDD as easy as Windows does ?

Probably without any issues. Only problems you can have is when you want to install windows after linux.

Also you can try any linux from live usb. If you dont like it - you dont have to install it. Thats why multiboot is good option - you can boot several distros from 1 usb and compare them before you decide which to install.

When i decided to change OS after linux mint - i tried elementary os, zorin, fedora and decided to go with deepin. People talks about some security issues related to deepin but for regular user like me its not important at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to add to this thread that, having moved from Windows 10 to Ubuntu 16.04, I can confirm that I am very much happy with the game performance, which I think is better now than it was on Windows. No need for tweaks or extra  commands. Just installed steam, FM and played the game without any issues or breaks in performance.

• 4 weeks later...

On my desktop I moved from Windows 7 to Linux Mint a couple of months ago and installed Steam and FM. Then I copied my previous saved games and graphic packs across. I had absolutely no subsequent problems with FM. At the same time I changed my laptop from Windows 10 to Linux Mint with the same result.

Archived