4 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

The original squad when I took over left much to be desired in the same areas as you, but being FM17, I at least had Virgil van Dijk

I think the Southampton squad has suffered substantially in the last year, as reflected by their real-life struggles as well as in FM. I play at least one Saints save every year and usually have a fair bit of success, including in FM18. But that relies on getting the tactic bedded in and having everyone on board. In this challenge save, it's not just that they've has a run of bad results but that the squad is threadbare thanks to injuries and suspensions and a crop of mediocre signings. Lots of players have had a downgrade (not always wrongly) in the current database, too.

The researchers do a brilliant job, I think - which is reflected in the fact that the common candidates in this challenge are precisely the teams that were either relegated, or struggled against, this season.

So I'm currently holidaying the first part of the season again, and I'll see what happens. Onwards and upwards, eh?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, warlock said:

I think the Southampton squad has suffered substantially in the last year, as reflected by their real-life struggles as well as in FM. I play at least one Saints save every year and usually have a fair bit of success, including in FM18. But that relies on getting the tactic bedded in and having everyone on board. In this challenge save, it's not just that they've has a run of bad results but that the squad is threadbare thanks to injuries and suspensions and a crop of mediocre signings. Lots of players have had a downgrade (not always wrongly) in the current database, too.

The researchers do a brilliant job, I think - which is reflected in the fact that the common candidates in this challenge are precisely the teams that were either relegated, or struggled against, this season.

So I'm currently holidaying the first part of the season again, and I'll see what happens. Onwards and upwards, eh?

Indeed!  

It is a much tougher challenge than it has gotten credit for over the years.  People see "Starting in the Premier League" and figure it is going to be a stroll in the park.  Not so much. :)

Sure, some people have already had nice successes, but I don't think anyone has gotten into the Top 4 in the first season!  Actually, I don't think anyone has even qualified for the Europa League starting from 19th, but if it was, it might be one or two.  You've got to survive, bed in, and then focus on improvement.  

I'm very fond of this save, simply because I've followed Southampton rather closely over the past few seasons, as Liverpool has essentially used them as a feeder club... :)  So, I've always had a watchful eye on their squad and any news around the club, just figuring if anyone shows out, I know we stand a good chance of buying them.  They are truly a hard club to dislike, anyway, with their focus on developing and promoting youth, and their dedication to playing quality football.  I was sad to see them suffer this year, I must admit.  I am just glad they were able to stay up, as they definitely have the infrastructure to be a quality EPL club for a long time, and I'd like to see them stay there for that long time. :) 

Can't wait to see who your new challenge club is, and best of luck to you!  May the "Holiday Sim" gods be ever in your favor!

Edited by jaysdailydose

That makes Pep and Jurgen this season... but results were definitely not good enough.  A 4-0 loss to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light was the final nail in Klopp's coffin, as Liverpool fall to 8th, 7 points from Europa League qualification, with multiple sides ahead of Pool having games-in-hand on the Reds.  

And with Rafa now at City, they don't even have a winning Liverpool manager to go back to!  I'm sure I'll get offered an interview, and turning down Liverpool in any save is always the hardest thing for me to do as a diehard #YNWA guy. ;)

KloppSacked.thumb.jpg.45c535a91d4f4506461fb395125e09ae.jpg

(EDIT: In other news, Jose Mourinho takes down another major trophy, with his Man United side winning the Carabao Cup 2-0 over Tottenham at Wembley.)

Edited by jaysdailydose
Other news from my save universe.

Well, it isn't as good for elite prospects as last year's intake, but 6-8 players who can likely count on a top-flight future.  3* at this point for me is "Good Premier League Player" so that intake is definitely not as bad as a first look would indicate, it just doesn't have the two 5* prospects and one 4.5* prospect that were in our last intake.

It will also be Tony Carr's last intake, as he is retiring at the end of the season.  Thank you for your service to our club, Tony!

IntakeEmail.thumb.jpg.e0fd47cb2ac6233e6ff3716159809b3d.jpg

Intake2.thumb.jpg.14464918505cce2425184b854eda0d4e.jpg

Would love to join the challenge, as I haven't played in England for over 5 years since i took Scunthorpe all the way to Champions League. I even mad a short list in my mind of clubs I'd like to try this with: West Brom, Swansea and Stoke (thats right, the relegated ones :) ). Unfortunately i won't be back home and get game time for at least 10 more days. Hopefully none of you finish the challenge by then (though at the pace and success rate of some of you that might be possible). Anyway, good luck and I will keep on reading in the meantime.

1 minute ago, Muttley84 said:

Would love to join the challenge, as I haven't played in England for over 5 years since i took Scunthorpe all the way to Champions League. I even mad a short list in my mind of clubs I'd like to try this with: West Brom, Swansea and Stoke (thats right, the relegated ones :) ). Unfortunately i won't be back home and get game time for at least 10 more days. Hopefully none of you finish the challenge by then (though at the pace and success rate of some of you that might be possible). Anyway, good luck and I will keep on reading in the meantime.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will even be through 10 seasons of 27 by then.  I think our farthest just completed their third season. :)  

Even if they were to finish, you are always capable of exceeding what they do by winning more trophies than necessary, so you'll always be welcome! 

We'll leave the light on for you! :D

10 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

West Brom, Swansea and Stoke

The first two crop up fairly frequently, Stoke - in my experience - not so much (although a couple of our members got them). Massive swings in fortune in different saves... I just holidayed through in two different saves and in one, Newcastle were bottom and Southampton in 7th; in the next Newcastle were 4th and Southampton were 18th.  And I'm sure I'll still be here when you join us - I haven't got beyond New Year in any of my attempts!

England teams are rather overpowered when you don't have other leagues turned on. 

Honestly, my Watford side has had a horrific run in the PL, I played a reserve side in the Europa, with my players out on loan last season getting a go here.

I thought maybe it was the reserves were actually better, but when I played them in the Premier League, I got tonked 5-2 by Sunderland

Euros.thumb.png.1fbf7bafce1e709fcf27c0ae44f87470.png

I mean, that's not a group of death, but it's not easy either. I wouldn't back Watford irl to beat Gladbach and Feyenoord

Btw, Palace also topped their group. They're 17th. Though their group was pretty poor

Edited by theonets

2fad498b4375bd2c6792e523e77fe996.png

We absolutely swept it up this season, except another bottle job in the league!!! :seagull:

The home loss vs Arsenal and catastrophic 3-1 loss to Bournemouth were enough for a ruthless United to capitalise on and we couldn't catch them despite winning our last two games. However, I'm extremely happy with how we did in all of the other competitions; 5 trophies in total. Highlights of the season were the 8-0 and 5-2 cup final victories against Liverpool, whilst the 9-1 win against Chelsea knocked them off the top spot at the time!

Local lad Adam Armstrong scored one of the penalties that won us our consecutive Champions League trophy - but it was another local lad that was in the headlines this year. Tyneside born-and-bred Derek Harmison came through our first intake under new HOYD Huw Jennings and he's been touted as one of the best of his generation! He's been placed straight into the first team and became the youngest ever Newcastle player, making 6 PL starts along the way.

It was a season for huge transfers, both in and out. In the summer Callum Wilson was effectively swapped for Marcus Rashford who had been frozen out by Mourinho, whilst a few fringe players such as Gayle and Mbemba were sold off. Elneny came in on a free to add depth to our midfield, whilst we splashed the cash on pacy centre-back Upamecano. I reluctantly sold Vardy to Watford; at 33 he was losing his pace and if we left it any longer he would be no more than a backup player and would be worth very little. January was the time of big name transfers. Deulofeu wanted a move to Madrid and I bit their hand off at a £77m offer, which we used to help fund our big-name signing of transfer-listed-by-request Ousmane Dembele. That wasn't the end of our deals though, as we took advantage of the interest in Zaza to sell him on to Milan which built up enough budget to sign powerful striker Alexander Isak who at 21 will be a mainstay in the side for years to come. I am extremely happy with the team we've got now.

Next season, let's win the bloody Premier League! Please...

Premier League

58e2aa46368e8b91cd3d07d1e6ff821a.png3a7a84c8ecb915e58191c3f669d9fbc2.png

76e21ec3c7b3f42e51b40258adedb965.png

Domestic Cups

0b1d8b8f71ba9f665cbc95b955c3bc1a.png

Continental Cups

a694c4f7b0df4cfa5e75a0d2db4d3a9c.png

Youth Intake

94a8aefcbf7df2fcb08c81cdb1342911.png

63bceb5f23e184c3c0513ee814d2e0a4.png

Transfers

f9a6938554153e223d7a06a2775d1eed.png

Player Stats

6efe4c049222e06c83303db348a64e5c.png

Wow, @smp20!!!!  Almost got that Treble milestone knocked off, but that's still a freaking amazing season.  What you have already built Newcastle into is amazing, especially considering so many have been unable to get them past the sale of the club!

Heading to mark up your score now, keep up the amazing work, my friend! :D

Just now, jaysdailydose said:

Wow, @smp20!!!!  Almost got that Treble milestone knocked off, but that's still a freaking amazing season.  What you have already built Newcastle into is amazing, especially considering so many have been unable to get them past the sale of the club!

Heading to mark up your score now, keep up the amazing work, my friend! :D

Cheers @jaysdailydose - really happy with what I've built so far, just gotta not bottle the PL. Next season I hope we can do it and bring a through youngsters through along the way. Hoping Harmison is the start of my 'class of 92' (though will be class of 22/23/24 if we get it)

Leaderboard and new challengers are now current to HERE.

Huge congratulations heading out this update to @smp20 and his amazing Newcastle United!  To win five major honors in one season is an amazing achievement, especially considering where we start this challenge, and the fact that he already has his requirements for UEFA Champions Leagues!  Here's hoping with your focus on the league next season, that you can complete the set of trophies, and then start going after repeats and milestones, my friend! :D

This amazing season has moved Smp20 to the very top of the leaderboard.  With eight total trophies, and one challenge milestone, he now has a total of 3,450 points, to open up a 900 point lead on his closest challenger in @TheEarl!

Keep up the amazing work, everyone!

14 minutes ago, theonets said:

England teams are rather overpowered when you don't have other leagues turned on. 

It's a limitation of the way the 'world' is simulated, I think. Because the other leagues and countries aren't playable, the teams are filled with 'greys', apart from the well-known players in the loaded database. And all of the league matches are fast simulations with no real detail. So the AI-controlled teams outside of the Prem and Championship are at a disadvantage (apart from the fact that they can field a team of fully-fit, fresh players for European competition matches).

1 hour ago, theonets said:

Half my squad just up and left for the AFCONs.

I had to play a youth player I bought last season, recall Niles from loan and my RB as a DM because I literally have no midfielders :D

Yeah, the ACoN is always a big problem for Prem teams with African players.  Mane leaving for the ACoN almost cost Liverpool the Top Four last year, for sure... and he was pretty much never right again the rest of the year, even when he got back and rested.  

But, if you try and keep them out of international competition, they'll cost you your whole dressing room, so what can ya do? :)

There you go, @wynter!  

I honestly didn't play after my posts earlier, took a mental health day with the wife for the most part.  I may play a bit before bed, but I'm just sitting here watching TV now.  Figured I'd come and check if there were any updates, and nice to see that you're starting to make progress with the Cherries!

Keep up the good work!

On 27/05/2018 at 16:34, jaysdailydose said:

Going to add your 50 points right now, @m0nk3y-b0y!  

Congratulations on being the first to two Community Shields!  Don't let that one loss get you down... my results with the Saints are so up and down, but they almost always come up strong in the big ones.  And they haven't taken near the silverware you have yet!

Keep up the great progress!

Thanks the next two games we beat Man Utd 4-0 and Spurs 2-0 so I think I was just holding myself up to, to high a standard.

Finished 2nd season yesterday.

LUqDNHAh.png

Just about managed to get into Europa. We started the season really well, but our unbeaten run turned into a series of poor draws and then an extended winless run with a few very poor defeats.

uIRjnPSh.png

4dhJGWdh.png

On the plus side, our record vs. the top six was much improved, with W3, D5, L4. But far, far too many points dropped in "easy" games. There is just something about the ME this year that I can't get to grips with. Scoring against sides parking the bus is challenging as always but with the added complication of endless pot shots from distance, and while I've always been able to set up a solid defense I just can't seem to stop conceding stupid goals time and time again this year. Immensly frustrating.

Transfers:

tFiCCv0h.png

As you can see there are 9 transfers in, but Ermacora didn't feature in the first team. In fact I only signed him as I inserted the "sign replacement first" clause when I agreed to sell Bertrand and for whatever reason the game didn't register the fact that by the time he agreed to move I'd already signed Tierney. So I had to find a cheap young left back to make Bertrand's transfer go through. Odd. I have to say though that Ermacora looks pretty promising and I'll definitely look to give him some playing time next season.

The Lascelles case is an odd one. Signed him in the summer and then City came in for him in January. Had to take that deal, made a good profit and I knew I could sign Tah even though I had to pay his release clause. He's been immense (7,40 average rating) so absolutely no regrets.

As for next season, I'm not really sure what I should do. Yoshida will be leaving, so he'll need to be replaced. Michael Keane got relegated with Hull and has a release clause, he'd be a great option. I've also already agreed a deal for a young CM from Dinamo who looks extremely promising. He'll be taking Hesketh's place in the squad. A new first choice striker would be great, but there aren't many who'd be a clear improvement over what we have AND are available for a non-insane amount of money AND would be willing to join. The same goes for basically every other position. Kenny Tete at right back is probably the only one who would be fairly easy to improve upon but want to give him a chance to improve further and additionally my assman seems convinced that Yan Valery has a very high potential so I'll need to give him game time next season.

20180530171106_1.thumb.jpg.baa96e25310e641fcb7148af18d76a53.jpg

First youth intake and let's just say that having one player out of youth academy in the match squad won't be a problem for a long, long time :D

20180530171112_1.thumb.jpg.900a3200c9c769d735679e2be4047c73.jpg

Great mentals, decent physicals, good natural fitness and ok defensive attributes :D Lil' short (for a CB) but you gotta take what you get :D 

20180530171119_1.thumb.jpg.65645347aa9cd153489e0756fac7e3b7.jpg

Solid technicals, but awful personality and physical attributes. Let's just say I'm not too Keen on giving him a chance (for now at least.) Needs a tutor ASAP

@kozmik I didnt want to quote all that for a short post, but my Yan Valery is also looked at by a 5* potential, and by essentially my entire staff.  

I got his personality up to "Driven" and then sent him on loan in the Championship for development.  He may get in the squad for my 2018/19 campaign.  

I've got a few other solid prospects but I am currently mobile with the wife driving, so I'd have to check who was originally at the club to see how it would compare.

Another average season but a lot more positives this year than last, lack of depth cost us big time during injuries and tough runs but I've made some quality additions to the squad over the season and we have a solid foundation to build on going into the third season.

36A13D8CA5AC399A8B4ECD738981B2B9714E8379

Turned down Everton midway through the season too.

6BFF94BB213319A5495B7F00BCCC89B131D88E16

275F62271DC19E6DF844EEFA4FC6C265A3AD5A83

2061AE45C0406632404A14DA0BFAEE763F2A2377

4B0CF4B48A3D343AE6313508DFD9EC6197B34230

BADAC4BB7237839C18219392BFC99147210357AF

I disagree with whoever voted Lemina signing of the season, Matt Richie was incredible for us picking up back to back player of the month awards in January and February.

Tammy Abraham was by far the worst signing ive ever made, scored a grand total of 0 goals.

Babic failed to get a work permit but he had a stellar season at Porto and made the national team during that time so hopefully he'll get a WP for this season.

smp20

2021/22 Season Preview

1c0e77076b4ea065faea841288424996.png

Lockwood ~ Pheasant ~ Paz

Another busy summer, Fergie doesn't like summer holidays! Big money sales of Clyne And Zaha helped fund our big signings of Bellerin and Bailly. I've been watching videos of Vidic-Ferdinand and that's the back pair I want to replicate - I hope Bailly-Upamecano can perform the roles. Berardi came in as a replacement for Zaha as well as Berge bolstering our midfield, both on frees which is ludicrous. Tammy Abraham joins as a back up for Isak; a steal at 2.9m from relegated Brentford. However I would like to come back to the first 3 signings, my first batch of regens poached from elsewhere. We put up relatively big money for Brummy-pair Lockwood and Pheasant; the latter touted as the next Michael Owen. Meanwhile we stole Paz for just £1m from Cali.

cbb54321504c3bb3df24dbc1b38330d2.png

This squad should be winning the Premier League and we'll be going all out to do just that. Missing from the screen, as we now have a bigger squad, are Lockwood, Armstrong and Aarons.

14fb120aeed3bd4bcc4861df0ce88779.png

This is our home tactic, looking to dominate.

8742dc77e89266cd097ee96008694ae2.png

Away or at neutral venues we bring the midfield back a slot and give the full backs a bit less freedom to make us more solid defensively. We look to devastate teams on the counter.

8bbbb3fe86b49f6e5ea5171c033d241e.png

2d1f33a3c3c0745d47e8668d2045cbb2.png

A cracking start to the season with two almost identical wins in the charity shield and european super cup :)

In keeping with the "Best Prospect" posts, here is mine.  He came out of S1's intake, and holds the highest potential rating at the entire club.  Should be a star in the long-term.  Has played extremely well in 31 appearances at U23 level. (Moved to U23 immediately with his skills/potential.)

Tutoring has went well, he's already moved to "Fairly Professional."

Clothier.thumb.jpg.1d5275b8273781c16ae3a281c994f5d0.jpg

2 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

@smp20 I'll go add your Shield and Super Cup now. :) Keep it up, Mr. Leader. :)

(EDIT: And done, up to a total of 3,700 total points!)

Cheers :)

SEASON 1 REVIEW 

20180530183252_1.thumb.jpg.dee21ceab32a8d31e9a550700810d414.jpg

20180530183323_1.thumb.jpg.eb59c292faaec9dd60a75c598c735a16.jpg

1013537962_Beztytuu.thumb.png.523dfeaa4d54522b47038b7fea729855.png

Premier League:

20180530183108_1.thumb.jpg.9aaaea512cf72964bbbcbb242f32709d.jpg

20180530183116_1.thumb.jpg.283bf27fe13b4f5996e2661ed26b4c69.jpg

We managed to stay up in 14th on 40 points. This has been a long, long season let me tell you. It was an absolute pain to get points due to tough spells of fixtures, injuries, inconsistent performances and more injuries. Thankfully we have the (hopefully) hard part behind us and use the summer well to build the squad around Shaqiri (our only hope!)

League Cup:

20180530183142_1.thumb.jpg.bff081026eea1b7fb5a7db4860e90956.jpg

Nothing to shout about in the League Cup as all of these fixtures had been already played when I was taking over.

FA Cup:

20180530183129_1.thumb.jpg.a2394f1582ffb1050cda3a8db9e4f096.jpg

Yes you read that right :D We won the FA Cup in my first season!!!! Now of course we had a pretty easy path to the triumph, but you still can't take anything away from the lads. To win a major trophy so soon is quite special, hopefully the Europa League doesn't screw us over next year!

Transfers:

20180530183204_1.thumb.jpg.13840d71aafc22a9db7fe7eb79ed0ed8.jpg 

20180530183210_1.thumb.jpg.c610da37c81bf78c2b42eb430d98d7c5.jpg 20180530183216_1.thumb.jpg.3bcf1da35e775ce7ba733f27e8d93c54.jpg 20180530183222_1.thumb.jpg.f9e57e07f62d949e0ecef7a39a813d34.jpg

In terms of transfers I'm also very happy. Ross Barkley is my favourite attaking midfielder in this game, he's always so cheap, adds a lot of attacking quality to the side and is homegrown, what more could you want? :D Corchia was brought in as we were kind of short in the right back spot, this is only a loan, but we have a 4 milion pounds buy-out close but whether we will activate it or not I'm not 100% sure. Ings just like Barkley is one my favourite players, I really recommend him, so well rounded, can play a lot of roles well and is English. Of course he's made out of glass, but I've been lucky so far :) 

Way to announce yourself to the challenge with that early FA Cup win, @Kubson!  

Going to add your first trophy, first milestone, and first points to the board!  

(EDIT: And done, your first 700 points on the board!  Keep showing them what wet Wednesday's in Stoke look like!)

Edited by jaysdailydose

There will be no pots for me this season... and it looks like I need to finish strong to even play Europa League football next season.  

BUT, I am targetting Season 3 for my first title challenge, and hopefully my first domestic cup.  I've still got players who will be major parts of the side who are still bedding in, so I can't be too concerned.

Also, with an injury a few weeks back to Jairo Riedewald, and Antonio Rudiger being cup-tied in Europe, I was having to start Harry Maguire over both legs next to Virgil van Dijk.  That is no excuse, though.

At least we met expectations for the competition, but a Quarter Final berth should have been an easy ask up by two going into the Second Leg.  Our consistency has been a problem nearly the entire save, but I think it comes down to the major overhaul at the club over almost 18 months.  The only players who were regular starters when we arrived, that retain their spot today, are Virgil van Dijk, Fraser Forster, Nathan Redmond and Sofiane Boufal-- but we are already starting to phase out Forster for the now 20-year-old Harry LewisForster has regressed to a 3.5 star, and Lewis has the potential to reach 4*... it had been 5, but I believe it is because of the overall raise in squad level, as 3.5* is now "Leading Player for the Premier League" in most cases.  Lewis has played with distinction in the few appearances he's had so far, and was great during a recent Forster injury.  Fraser is a "Model Professional" and has tutored Lewis all the way to "Professional" so he was a great mentor for him.  I'll probably tutor one more time as soon as the "Player has recently finished tutoring" finishes, just to see if he can be raised to Model Pro.  At 20, Lewis is the future.  Forster is only 29, but has already declined in a few key areas like Reflexes.  

Once we progress the club a bit farther, I'll likely try to buy an upgrade on the level of a Donnarumma or something, but it hasn't been a need thus far, outfield was far more important.  It'll be an interesting last 7 matches of the Prem now... and we may have a much lighter schedule next season.

Please enjoy "WeSuck.JPG":
WeSuck.thumb.jpg.54a6cbe42d4ef641ed4198214f2585a9.jpg

Just had a helluva match with City... sorry, it feels like I'm updating every match at this point, but it was our first match since Rafa Benitez took over.

RafaCool.thumb.jpg.cd6b3cd252a5b63d69810348317d51ce.jpg

The interesting thing came after the match, when I found out that by avoiding defeat to us, City is now unbeaten in 17 straight since Pep's horror show and sacking at The Stadium of Light.  They've moved up to 6th in the Premier League, and are still alive in both the Europa League and the FA Cup.  

Will Rafa be the one who leads the Citizens revolution and gets all the love?  I sure hope not, because I'm kind of hoping to win things next season. ;) 

2018/19 Pre-Season

518579101_pobrane(1).png.a7015527001675df97e267953db56be3.png

20180530224232_1.thumb.jpg.c02bf9b5dd8ae930f290ee881697bb75.jpg

Decent enough pre-season with us winning 4 out of or 5 games, altough it's got to be said that we didn't face the toughest opponents for the most part.

Transfers

20180530223657_1.thumb.jpg.6b0eb4ddd9cf7ce4604802afad3502c2.jpg

20180530223701_1.thumb.jpg.90435507c67e26e87556c592066a1608.jpg 20180530223711_1.thumb.jpg.0ef76e767208303ab7b97aaa6da0abe9.jpg 20180530223716_1.thumb.jpg.37f67499d7d948a158be91d171de3e90.jpg 20180530223722_1.thumb.jpg.e20991b78159ca5b11b3fe2d56c0c0a5.jpg 20180530223727_1.thumb.jpg.7bc1a6d2b867b38a0d694194489d6d90.jpg 20180530223736_1.thumb.jpg.0bee37e5945535c46947b90bd3e7e808.jpg

I think it's fair to day it's been an eventful transfer window. We spent a whooping (by Stoke's standards) 62 milion pounds on new players! The biggest deal is 100% the signing of the Mexican wonderkid Hirving Lozano, how on earth did I manage to sign him I have no idea, especially with him attracting interest from clubs like PSG, Real Madrid or Chelsea :D He's a inside foward of dreams with fantastic pace, dribbling, finishing and flair alongside decent mental attributes he will surely tear up defences alongside Barkley and Shaqiri :D We invested a lot in our defence, with the siginings John Brooks, Gary Cahill, Kieran Trippier and Kieran Tierney. I'm really happy with Tierney and Brooks, both have amazing physicals, both are great in terms of defending and technical ability and are still very young considering their positions, so these could be the future of Stoke :) Trippier is one of the best full-backs England has to offer and Gary Cahill's leadership and experience will prove crucial this season. Suk Hyun-Jun comes in as a 3rd choice attacking midfielder/striker for just 725 thousand pounds, I couldn't pass up this oppurtinity for this kind of money, couldn't I? Fairly quick and strong, tall, incredible mentals (especially that determination) has the perfect driven personality and has nice attacking attributes all round. And he's already worth 6,25 milion after we signed him, so at worst we will make a tiny profit on the lad. 

On the outs the main names are Diouf, Pieters and Charlie Adam. I focused on getting rid of the older players and trying to replace them with younger ones so that is one of the reasons why they are gone. While Diouf and Adam were awful, Pieters was a decent player, but we had to sell him to make place for Tymon and Tierney.

20180530224012_1.thumb.jpg.da71105357d14d9ee2149876ba06e71c.jpg

And with that out of the way, here is our starting line-up for the 2018/19 season. The team looks solid all-round in my opinion, especially with that deadly attack. 

20180530224058_1.thumb.jpg.1d521c01f5fd905cd30e74d1013ceb6a.jpg 20180530224101_1.thumb.jpg.9a368ee3c5c7c3002d0f710b2b2cfac6.jpg

And here is the full team.

Community Shield

20180530223802_1.thumb.jpg.9ed18349bb41b905231c77bed2807244.jpg

Heartbreaking :( 

west-brom-logo-vector-400x400.thumb.png.9a43a78d590d8e2c3816db54233bd1f6.png

West Bromwich Albion Season Review - 2017/18

816817650_SeasonReview.thumb.png.77b7735aed00add9264cc5ef78ab9eab.png

Thankfully we survived and the moment to forget was not during my reign ;).

It was a really difficult season for us, full of ups and downs to be honest. We suffered several injuries to important players which caused a few issues, but we adjusted as well as we could to get the results we needed in the most important of times. A lot of the squad were simply not good enough and I would expect a lot of turnover in the Summer as I look to rejuvenate the team in different areas.

Claudio Yacob and Salomon Rondon have been the two standout players for me this season. The former has been a rock in front of the defence, who has benefitted a poor defence, especially towards the end of the season. Whereas Rondon has scored ten goals in 26 (8) starts, which to me is quite impressive considering our lack of quality - in fact we only scored 38 goals all season. 

Pre-arrival, we loaned out Allan Nyom for the season to AC Milan and young duo Sam Field and Jonathan Leko joined Derby and Ipswich, respectively. I was given a small budget going into the January window and so were only able to make the two deals. Firstly, Mathias Jansen joined from FC Nordsjaelland for £3,000,000. The 22-year-old has potential to improve and made 10 (6) appearances after signing. We added to this by completing a loan deal to bring in Barcelona star Aleix Vidal until the end-of-the-season. This was to provide competition for Craig Dawson, who was our solitary option at right-back previously. He impressed, making three assists in 17 games. Robbie McCourt left to Shamrock Rovers for £17,000 and James McClean headed to CSKA Moscow for the remainder of the season also.

Jensen.thumb.png.f0c028ddc0034937d97eea58669177fc.pngVidal.thumb.png.933c3f7b798deecce50e32225bb56f0a.png

Results

894674558_Results1.thumb.png.8b3f0d6c16bf5e1827de1b279419c627.png

939609431_Results2.thumb.png.0d1a40aa82bbae0ca15dfa0bc282e84b.png

Table

Table.thumb.png.1533078e923356971dcc0e9e23dd7862.png

I will look to go more in-depth in future with my pre-season and post-season updates - however I just wanted to get this out there this time. :D 

Who says this Premier League stuff is easy? It bloody isn't! :lol:

Edited by KeeToMyHeart

It's ridiculously hot, so I'm going to go nap in front of my fan for an hour or two.  (Yes, I have air, it is that bad.  I spend a lot of time in my garage with fans because I'm a smoker.) 

If anyone gets any scoring updates, or any new challengers join, I'll have the updates done in a couple of hours.  I'll definitely be on, I want to complete my season and start on prep for next season.  I have to find out how much I have to spend, and if anyone is actually going to bid for VvD this time around, or if he is just going to stay with us for the rest of his career at this point.  He gets unsettled every damned window, and no one wants to make an offer for even half his valuation. :)  

Anyway, updates will definitely be done tonight if any are needed.  Carry on. :)

@KeeToMyHeart -- Great first update!

I just want to let you (and everyone) know -- you ONLY have to post updates if you win something, and a end-of-season update is nice -- but you definitely do not have to go into large detail in your updates, or do anything more than a simple end of season wrap-up.

Obviously, you CAN update as much as your heart desires, just want to make sure everyone knows it isn't required.  I tend to do my little "this is interesting" updates, just because I'm so used to doing it as a retired FM blogger. ;)

That's a very solid first season at West Brom, as I know the lack of quality that was there very well... I've destroyed them my entire save. :D  Keep up the great work!

I just went and asked on Reddit, but figured I'd ask you lads as well -- when playing a tactic with one DM in the DM strata, do you ALWAYS keep him in a Defend duty?  Here's my dilemma...

As you all know, I have the young Brazilian wonderkid Thiago Maia as one of my key players.  I've been playing 4-1-2-3 DM Wide from the start, as it was easily the best tactic for the players I originally had when I took over the club, and I've just kept using it, as it really is a solid base defensive formation for the 4-3-3 I like to create when on the ball.  

Anyway, I've been playing Thiago Maia as a DM/D -- I give my fullbacks a ton of license to get forward normally (altering it and keeping them back a bit against tougher sides) so I've definitely always felt I've needed a midfielder whose main job is covering the back four.  The rub to that is that Maia's main role at DM is RPM, and second is DLP -- they are both 100% familiarity.  Maia is also one of the few players that truly has the attributes to play a demanding role such as RPM/S from the DM strata.

BUT, I've never used this role from the DM strata -- at least not with a single DM in the DM strata.  Here is what I'm thinking *might* work, but I've never used a MC with a defend duty as cover for the back four while playing a DM in the DM strata before.  I don't know if this would cause confusion between Maia and Ward-Prowse (or Hojbjerg, as pictured here.)  

Proposed4-1-2-3.thumb.jpg.2c7e153152d6fa133eb8f232a415c0a0.jpg

This would be the proposed tactic, though the fullback roles would definitely be subject to change.  As of right now, the 3 midfield roles I am using are Havertz (CM/A), Hojbjerg (DLP/S), and Maia (DM/D) -- I've also used Hojbjerg's slot as a BBM/S, as well, and also had Ward-Prowse playing RPM from the MC strata from there... all of those work fine, although I still feel I ship a lot of goals for having Maia as a DM/D working as a shield... but that is neither here nor there.

Does anyone have any experience with the DM getting more forward while a MC acts as your shield, while playing one DM as I am?  Your input is definitely welcomed!  I'm keeping things as I've been running them for now, but with seven fixtures remaining, and then a few weeks before preseason, I figure I may be able to get some thoughts before next season!

Thanks everyone!

Edited by jaysdailydose

@jaysdailydose - I use 2 DMs or MCs at the moment but when I've used one DM they've either been a DLP (D/S) or HB. I don't find there is too much difference defensively between a DLP Support or Defend, they still hold the role. I personally wouldn't use a RPM there on his own; it's a cracking role with another DM though.

I've been invigilating all morning for just 3 students, which has meant I've been playing FM :P - update to follow!

30c71258322d8e9e5fdeb2931491bff7.png

616041c47e15c8f3f07411b9169760ee.png

Transfers ~ PL 2021 ~ PL Part 2 ~ Continental Cups ~ Domestic Cups ~ Club Info

Well we certainly didn't bottle the Premier League this year! Our only loss came at home to United, our two draws both away vs Chelsea and West Ham. We cleared up all the other trophies we were competing for except from the League Cup. I've managed to give some of the young players coming through (or signed such as Paz, Lockwood and Pheasant) some game time, in particular Harmison who's become our first choice left back at 16 and made it into the 2022 World Cup squad! This is the most dominant season I've had in a long time in England, it's just about keeping these standards up now like Fergie did!

8eb901f7a687930c125c09cefcd35c32.png

Missing from the squad here is Pheasant, who spent the second half of the season on loan at Spurs and scored 2 goals against Utd. Good lad. This is one of the most exciting squads I've built on FM. From now on the only players that will be signed will need to be World Class or have World Class Potential.

Youth Watch

Harmison ~ Brennan ~ Reay ~ Duncan

As mentioned, Harmy is now now our first choice left back and with a fantastic rate of development he's  made it into the England squad. Not sure if he will play, but what an experience for a 16-year-old. Scottish creative forward Brennan has spent a few years developing in our youth setup but made a spectacular breakthrough into the first team by scoring 5 goals in 2 Premier League games, earning a cap for Scotland in the process. I forgot to screenshot on intake day but Reay and Duncan are the best from the latest crop - both could make it to the first team with the right training, tutoring and development.

f504d673688d930ad9020eb2ad1dd357.png

9aae3ec2e0e1fa299fdac48f312b2246.png

A quick moment to celebrate the career of our Head Physio Derek Wright, who spent an incredible 41 years at the club!

Edit: In other news, United sack Mourinho and replace him with Guardiola! He'd been at Milan since 2019

Edited by smp20