Player signs for less wages

Guys this has probably been asked before .. could be a bug or something way more simple - player Dale Jennings wants 1.7k per week to play for my Havant side who are currently top of the league 10 games in .... playoff losers last season ....(still hurts) 

I politely say no thanks and walk away I can’t bust my budget for one player although he is decent at this level - he signs for Truro instead on £340 per week .... ? Is this a rep thing? Unless they have an ulmightly director of football how did they pull that off ?

It is possible to negotiate a players wage down, usually by giving him more sign-on fee or other bonuses. But naturally rep and the clubs financial status players a part as well, you'd want more wage moving to Manchester City than moving to Huddersfield.

43 minutes ago, Baodan said:

It is possible to negotiate a players wage down, usually by giving him more sign-on fee or other bonuses. But naturally rep and the clubs financial status players a part as well, you'd want more wage moving to Manchester City than moving to Huddersfield.

So do you think he wanted more as we were top of the league? 

1 hour ago, Techno-fear said:

So do you think he wanted more as we were top of the league? 

I'm not so sure current league position plays that big a role in a players wage demand. I imagine a player would ask a lot of wage from Manchester City, even if they were bottom of the league.

Lesson learnt then perhaps I should have paid him more up front and given him more incentives , although I’m quite prudent with my wages and I begrudge paying him that much as the rest of the squad will start playing up .... 

• Administrators

Yeah it's more a combination of factors, some of which have already been raised above. The amount of money the club has, the quality of living available in the area where the club is, the reputation of the club and the players at the club, the salary of other players at the club etc.

So in theory, say you had a rather poor player (let's say Gary Footballer) on fairly high wages, other players will look at them and think along the lines of "if Gary Footballer is worth that much, I'm worth way more" and potentially will ask for more. 

Always think of the type of contract you're offering a player in regards to your squad rather than that individual player. It's very easy to have wage expectations from players creep up if you start paying players more.

Also something else to bear in mind - generally players already under contract will take more risks in what they expect to be paid, especially those with a decent amount of time left on their deal. They're already relatively financially secure, so they are in a position where they can ask for more.

Players on a free, unless they're in high demand and have lots of interest, generally will accept less.  Although you may have to negotiate a bit, especially if the agent is demanding. In your instance above you may have found that Jennings would have accepted or even asked for a bit less once they were on a free, assuming there wasn't that much interest. However as soon as other clubs start sniffing around again they will use that to their advantage to make sure they get a good deal looking at both finances and potentially a higher squad status. 

It all sounds quite logical and fairly straight-forward to explain, but in terms of creating the code to work in this manner it's much more complex! 

i once signed on accident a league 2 player with the same name as one wonderkid i was trying to sign, he was on a 2K wage more or less and he wanted around 10K, while my worst payed player that is not on a youth contract or has a contract when i was in the championship was at 12K, so i guess is more of a "you have your pockets full pal, gimme some more"

Archived