The DoF/Head Coach Challenge

I was thinking about giving this challenge a try, and leave as many things as possible to the DoF and essentially just play as a head coach, but I was wondering if anyone has a preference for what teams to try this challenge with - perhaps a team you wouldn't normally manage but do because a good DoF is in place already, or a team that specifically has no DoF so you can recruit one? Perhaps a league higher or lower than your normal preference?

Also, how does this challenge impact the board expectations you have at the start of the season? If you take charge of Man City for example one of the expectations is to sign top players, but if you leave it to a DoF and he signs mid-level players are you likely to stay in the job long for not fulfilling expectations?

Thanks.

I tried this challenge and gave up after one season. My DoF sold my DC,DR,AMR,ST and brought 3 DR's as replacement so it was unplayable after that.Maybe you will have better luck.If you play with lower side like me he will constantly sell your best players and your team will never progress.

Most DoF in this game are garbage. They will sell your best players for next to nothing. Then spend money on players you don't need instead of replacing them. The AI logic behind them seems very busted in most cases. Its why its a challenge.

• Administrators

I had fun times in the MLS using this. I'd basically hire a DOF, let them run things from a transfers perspective having to build a team around what I had and then move teams every say season/season and a half. Not sure how the expectations work mind, that's a fair point. Will have a dig around and take a look. 

How about a half way house?

You define who your transfer targets are / who you want to get rid of and let your DoF handle all the negotiations and transfer business from there.  You're still Head Coach, just not getting involved in all the shady transfer dealings.

I've considered doing full bore like @Colonel Getafe describes it with an Italian team, perhaps Roma with Monchi.

I've already done a minor version of what @herne79 says - with Real Sociedad after only renegotiating one contract, I had no transfer funs but persuaded the board to pay a guy's release clause and my DoF negotiated the contract. I liked the deal so I put him in charge of all contract renewals and new signing contracts. Would tell him to renew staff members' contracts rather than doing all the negotiations myself too. Loren was my starting DoF, no outstanding attributes, reputation or personality for the role yet did very well, even not letting wages rise too much (something I'd had trouble with my previous attempts on FM15 / 16) and not giving players too low release clauses which is something I'd also encountered as an issue with DoF, although he left Odriozola with his initial £36m release for far too long for my liking, when he did put it up he set it well over the money David Alaba had gone for on that save, and still less than £100k wages.

DoF in MLS sounds interesting as well, guys who mentioned it @Neil Brock @Tony Wright 747 did he actually draft players? My sole season (And a few attempts where I got as far as the draft) in MLS my assistant manager always told me to just pass on everyone. 

9 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I've considered doing full bore like @Colonel Getafe describes it with an Italian team, perhaps Roma with Monchi.

I've already done a minor version of what @herne79 says - with Real Sociedad after only renegotiating one contract, I had no transfer funs but persuaded the board to pay a guy's release clause and my DoF negotiated the contract. I liked the deal so I put him in charge of all contract renewals and new signing contracts. Would tell him to renew staff members' contracts rather than doing all the negotiations myself too. Loren was my starting DoF, no outstanding attributes, reputation or personality for the role yet did very well, even not letting wages rise too much (something I'd had trouble with my previous attempts on FM15 / 16) and not giving players too low release clauses which is something I'd also encountered as an issue with DoF, although he left Odriozola with his initial £36m release for far too long for my liking, when he did put it up he set it well over the money David Alaba had gone for on that save, and still less than £100k wages.

DoF in MLS sounds interesting as well, guys who mentioned it @Neil Brock @Tony Wright 747 did he actually draft players? My sole season (And a few attempts where I got as far as the draft) in MLS my assistant manager always told me to just pass on everyone. 

For me, one of the most enjoyable part of the game is match management, tweaking  tactics/formations etc. to obtain a victory, so in my MLS save I am quite happy to let my DOF handle all transfers/drafts/contracts etc. my assistant handles the training apart from match prep, leaving me to work with what I have.

Il y a 20 heures, oulzac a dit :

Most DoF in this game are garbage. They will sell your best players for next to nothing. Then spend money on players you don't need instead of replacing them. The AI logic behind them seems very busted in most cases. Its why its a challenge.

I'm playing in french L1. Been second for 4 years  and won the title last year. My youth team is full of really hot prospects. But my DOF still buys young crappy central midfielders (~90 or 100 PA max). I still confirm the transfers so I can cancel those deals, but it's annoying.

Archived