What do you base preferred squad numbers on?

23 minutes ago, FrazT said:

In all my years of playing CM/FM, I have never once allocated a player a preferred number, even if it was asked for

I thought I heard somewhere that giving them their preferred number can increase their relationship with you? If that is not the case, do you know why it exists?

Same as FrazT, I never assign a player their preferred number purely because they want it, I set out my "best" XI at the start of a season and rattle through 1-11. It makes it easy to notice how my team evolves over a season as different players stake their claim for a position.

I always suspected it would annoy particularly highly strung players if I ignored their squad number request though.

1 hour ago, Henry Shepherd said:

I thought I heard somewhere that giving them their preferred number can increase their relationship with you? If that is not the case, do you know why it exists?

I suppose that, as in real life, some top players ask for a specific number. I have never managed at the very top level where players may consider this important, so I have never bothered

I've no idea if it makes any difference at all but I've tended to give my players their preferred numbers purely on the basis that it can't do any harm to do so and may possibly help in dynamics. The only time I make a point of not giving someone his preferred number is when a fifteen year old wants one of the first eleven numbers on his shirt.

I've noticed pre-contract negotiations that players occasionally ask for you to give them their preferred number as one of the promises.

Personally I do occasionally give out preferred numbers, but only when it fits into my system. And once I give a player a number, they keep it for the rest of their stay at my club.

I change all the time. Sometimes I keep all players already at the club in their real life numbers then try to give new signings their real life numbers as well, or sometimes preferred numbers. Often I do 1-11 for my starting 11, with 12-22 + 25 (backup goalkeeper) with the reserves, and in my save in Argentina I've changed the numbering slightly to reflect their conventions.

In Italy I tend to do a lot more of giving players their preferred numbers and then with older players doing similar to the likes of Ronaldinho at Milan where they get their birth year as their number, but that dies out in a couple of seasons as I usually have young squads where everyone's born 1994 onwards.

I think I would only give a player his prefers choice if it was a numberi wanted him to have, as an example if I signed a new left back and he wanted the no 9 shirt he wouldn’t get it but if he wanted any no ending in 3 he would get his wish..  3, 13, 23, 33. Etc.  

first thing i do is change TAA from 66 to something normal, like 3. If you're not 1-25 you ain't in the squad. 

Goalies get 1&25 and 13 goes to the guy I feel is going to breakthrough this season. Other than that if the player feels like he wants a particular number he'll get it. If he plays in that position. I'm not gonna give Firmino the number 5 for example.

GK - 1, 21, 31, 41...

RB - 2, 22, 42,

LB - 3, 33, 43

Dual sided fullbacks, 23 & 32

CB - 4, 5, 14, 15, 24, 25

CM - 6, 8, 16, 18...

RW - 7

LW - 11

other wide players end in 7's

AM - 10

SK's and other forwards 9, 12, 19, 20, 29, 30...

nobody gets 13

I let the players keep their existing numbers, and give out preferred numbers if they are free.

I started a new game the other week with Forest and new player Hillal Soudani asked for the #2, I just couldn't do it. you cant have a striker wearing #2 WTF?! I hated watching Gallas play in the #10 shirt on TV, I just couldn't deal with it lol

11 minutes ago, Carninho said:

GK - 1, 21, 31, 41...

RB - 2, 22, 42,

LB - 3, 33, 43

Dual sided fullbacks, 23 & 32

CB - 4, 5, 14, 15, 24, 25

CM - 6, 8, 16, 18...

RW - 7

LW - 11

other wide players end in 7's

AM - 10

SK's and other forwards 9, 12, 19, 20, 29, 30...

nobody gets 13

I let the players keep their existing numbers, and give out preferred numbers if they are free.

I started a new game the other week with Forest and new player Hillal Soudani asked for the #2, I just couldn't do it. you cant have a striker wearing #2 WTF?! I hated watching Gallas play in the #10 shirt on TV, I just couldn't deal with it lol

Your system is similar to what I use, just curious as to your number 12 for a striker and not a full back as it ends in 2?

2 hours ago, Carninho said:

Eto'o was number 5 at Everton. Also, at Sheff Wed a few years ago, their back-up goalie was no. 2 and their striker was 6. If you go back further than that, Edgar Davids was number 1 when he was player-manager at Barnet.

I won't give a player his preferred number if that number belongs to someone else in the squad. For example, I have Andre Gomes as my no.10 at Gills, I signed Messi on a free and he's got the no.8 because Gomes has the 10. 

If their preferred number is really high then they can have it, that doesn't bother me.

2 hours ago, wayne'o said:

Your system is similar to what I use, just curious as to your number 12 for a striker and not a full back as it ends in 2?

12 is the old school sub number from the 80's & 90's, so I see that as striker or utility player. I always have the 2nd fullbacks as 22 & 33 as it just looks better to me 

I sometimes use 88, but for some reason never 66

I know how odd I sound  :idiot:

50 minutes ago, wayne'o said:

99 for a reserve striker looks good,  think there’s a guy playing in America who scored 100 league goals whearing that number, they are now going to retire the number.

That'll be Bradley Wright-Phillips. Son of Ian Wright

2 hours ago, Neotropolis said:

Eto'o was number 5 at Everton. Also, at Sheff Wed a few years ago, their back-up goalie was no. 2 and their striker was 6. If you go back further than that, Edgar Davids was number 1 when he was player-manager at Barnet.

Baros was number 5. That used to annoy the living crap out of me, no striker should have a number 5! It's unnatural.

2 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

Baros was number 5. That used to annoy the living crap out of me, no striker should have a number 5! It's unnatural.

Oh I agree with you. Number 1-11 are position based. The rest can be divyed up as one pleases.

My players only get their preferred number if they happen to play in the appropriate position...

Start of season I'll number my 1st choice team from 1 to 11, and second choice 12 to 22

GK 1, 22, (backup 25)
RB 2, 12
CB 4, 16*
CB 5, 15
LB 3, 13
RW 7, 17
CM 6, 14* 
CM 8, 18
LW 11, 21
CF 9, 19
CF 10, 20

I'll have a couple of utility players on 23 and 24. The only deviation is CM where I always like to have a 14 (Xabi homage), so 16 goes to a CB.

It honestly depends on whether I have the time to spare when that game-time rolls around. Yes I sometimes try and give a player his preferred number, particularly if he is a first-team regular and been at the club a while (new signings get what they are given) because I do think it improves relationships, but generally the first-choice get 1-11, with 7 for RW and 11 for left, 9 as striker, 10 AMC if I have one but not too bothered usually.

2nd choice keeper usually gets '12'

My first team squad get numbered from 1 upwards, u23s from 30 upwards and u18s 50 upwards (or 60 depending on squad numbers) - simply because  I rememebr reading an interview with an up-and-coming player who described the feeling when he was informed of his promotion from junior to youth team by being presented with a shirt, with a number that was 'in the 30s which meant I would be playing in the reserves' . 

I'll go to 41

1: Unused

2: RB

3: LB

4: DM/Defensive MC

5: DM/Defensive MC

6: DC

7: RW/Right-sided ST

8: MC

9: ST

10: Playmaker MC

11: LW/Left-sided ST

12: Backup RB

13. MC

14. ST

15. MC

16. MC

17. Favourite ST

18. DC

19. ST

20. DC

21. Youth MC

22. Backup GK

23. Youth MC

24. Backup LB

25. MC

26. MC

27. Backup RW

28. DC

29. Backup LW

30. ST

31. GK

32. ST

33. Third choice RB

34. Third choice GK

35. Third choice LB

36. DC

37. Fave youth ST

38. DC

39. DC

40. Youth midfielder

41. First choice GK

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:08, monkeywool said:

first thing i do is change TAA from 66 to something normal, like 3. If you're not 1-25 you ain't in the squad. 

Goalies get 1&25 and 13 goes to the guy I feel is going to breakthrough this season. Other than that if the player feels like he wants a particular number he'll get it. If he plays in that position. I'm not gonna give Firmino the number 5 for example.

3 is not normal for a right back. In my team, he starts with 66 so he keeps it for his career.

I always respect the players' request if the number is available. I think I am definitely not in the group that considers it important to have 1-11 (or even 1-25) on the field. If a non-regen player joins I would dig up a little bit on his career and if he has a special number attached IRL but not in the game (say, 45 for Balotelli, or more recently 29 for Morata) I would give it to him even if he doesn't ask for it.

#9 would definitely need to be at the attack front, other than that they're free to go to any non-GK players. #28 and #37 are generally given to the future stars though, as I am personally attached to them :)

Great thread! Such strange psychology in application of squad numbers. I love it but don't really understand why...

My players always keep their squad number until they leave the club or a lower (position appropriate) number becomes available. I will never remove a squad number from a player until they leave the club or have annoyed me in some way.

A few other weird rules I have:

Goalkeepers are the only players who can have numbers 1, 13, or 21. If my first choice GK has a weird preferred number (my current GK wants 95) then 1 will remain vacant

Wide players can only be allocated odd numbers. Except for RBs obviously

I prefer 15 and 16 to be CMs, no idea why...

As with every sane person, I prefer 1-11 to be my first choice 11, this gets ruined by preferred numbers, which I do always try to accomodate (I would like to know if there's a benefit to this though)

I actually think picking squad numbers should hold more importance in the game. This is one of the rare aspects of football that would increase both realism and the arcadey gamey aspect that constantly seem to be at odds.

We see how important squad numbers are in terms of egos, shirt sales, pressure, etc. As a Juventino I saw this with the #10 once Del Piero left - it was left open, then given to Pogba because Adidas wanted to increase hype/revenue. When it went to Dybala people worried it would put too much pressure on him. When Ronaldo and Bonucci joined they made players give up 7 and 19 respectively. These decisions can affect favor in the dressing room, both between manager and player and between player and player, which would fit in nicely with the growing aspect of social dynamics. I can't imagine Kessie was too pleased when Leo made him switch to 79 when he had originally picked 19 in honor of his deceased father.

FM already includes some very questionable player interactions / variables, I don't see why a player being upset that they can't get their preferred number isn't more reasonable than many of them. It's one of those things that would make you roll your eyes when faced with it, JUST LIKE REAL LIFE. If you give a young lad the #10 at a big club then depending on his attributes either he should improve confidence and leadership or he should crack under pressure and start to underperform. It's a big sign of faith in a player and it should be registered as such. If you give #10 to a big, beloved player like Madrid just did with Modric, you should notice a tangible increase in his shirt sales and the revenue that comes from it.

And besides, it's fun! There's nothing better than nurturing a young striker and finally giving him the #9. Personally I feel I'm influenced by the squads I grew up with when I pick numbers. Besides the obvious constructs I tend to think of certain numbers in certain positions based on what I experienced. For both club and country my formative years saw #16 at right wing (Camoranesi), #21 as regista (Pirlo), etc. Two of Italy's most promising center backs both prefer #13 because they idolize Nesta, and it's not unrealistic for them to get a boost of confidence settling into their new club if they get it. It would be a great touch if once in a while you got an inbox message saying that a player would like to change his number in honor of his newborn children, when the game already includes many random things like this. These things matter, and they add a nice, subtle, realistic flair to what can sometimes feel like a cold computer game.

• 3 weeks later...

I confess I have an obscure kind of connection with no. 1, 9, 10 and 27.

N.1 it must go to my best goalkeeper

N.9 it must go to my best striker. And only if I feel he deserves it. I have no problem on letting it unassigned.

N.10 it must go to my most talented player. And only if I feel he deserves it. I have no problem on letting it unassigned.

N.27 this is the most special among the others. Nobody deserves it, but one. The One. Nobody knows who will be though, me included.

I give all the players their preferred number, if two players want the same number i give it to the one i play most. 

Then once i've assigned the preferred numbers, i assign the rest by position. So GK no 1, left back no 3 and so on... i would have thought it's better to give a player what they want if you can.

6 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

100%

:D some people have too much time on their hands

it literally takes about a minute. I'm pretty sure i couldn't auto it or i'd not sleep at night... the possibility that my left back could be number 4 would send me crazy :lol:

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:24, Weston said:

I actually think picking squad numbers should hold more importance in the game.

3 minutes ago, Weston said:

Yeah, we're called Football Manager players  :rolleyes:

I agree with your first sentiment... and feel it currently has no impact whatsoever... choose your battles! FM takes long enough to play as it is.

If I thought managing Utd, choosing a new signing as my #7 signified he was my marquee player that year ... then I'd do it. But at the moment it wouldn't get a mention.

I don't have a set system other than the give defenders 2-6 strikers 9-10 etc. except the number 21 who I give to the reserve goalie, as I dislike 22 being given to goalies especially in international football for reasons not even I myself know.

34 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I agree with your first sentiment... and feel it currently has no impact whatsoever... choose your battles! FM takes long enough to play as it is.

If I thought managing Utd, choosing a new signing as my #7 signified he was my marquee player that year ... then I'd do it. But at the moment it wouldn't get a mention.

Which is what I think could be improved, as I mention here.

25 minutes ago, decapitated said:

I don't have a set system other than the give defenders 2-6 strikers 9-10 etc. except the number 21 who I give to the reserve goalie, as I dislike 22 being given to goalies especially in international football for reasons not even I myself know.

Personally I like to follow the standard World Cup squad style of 1, 12, and 23 for keepers. 21 for me my whole life was Pirlo, so sometimes I actually like to give it to a creative center midfielder, especially if the other standard numbers are taken and the player is young. I can imagine they're inspired by Andrea.

Most of the time, this is how I assign them:

• GK = 1, 24, 25
  • DR/WBR = 2, 22
  • DL/WBL = 3, 23
  • SW/DC = 4, 5, 14, 15
  • DM/Defensive CM (or generally conservative midfielders, movement-wise) = 6, 16
  • CM/Support DM (or generally adventurous midfielders, movement-wise) = 8, 18
  • MR/AMR/Right-sided AMC = 7, 17
  • ML/AML/Left-sided AMC = 11, 21
  • AMC/Creative CM/Creative ST/Support ST = 10, 20
  • Main ST = 9, 19
  • Utility man = 12
  • Wild card (players with unusual attribute spreads/unique role within the squad/The "Fellaini", if you will)/Yet another utility man = 13

From 26 onward it will be randomly assigned to the reserves/youth players, pretty much. Nominally larger numbers are given for the younger players.

26 minutes ago, MagicHat said:

Who else doesn't give the number 13 out? or is that just me lol

Sometimes I give it to 3rd choice keeper so they're 1, 12, 13, if I don't give the last one 23 instead.

It depends on which club/nation I'm managing... If some numbers have a very specific meaning at one club, I'll try to respect the tradition. Otherwise my usual pattern is similar to the ones posted.

* GK: 1, 30, 31, 41 (a bit of a ice-hockey thing, but I need 12 and 13 for better purposes)

* RB: 2, 32 (22 only for offensive wing-backs who can play as wingers too)

* LB: 3, 33 (23, same as 22)

* CB: 5, 6, 15, 16, 55, 66 etc

* DM/CM: 4, 14, 24, 8, 18, 28, 44, 88

* RW: 7, 27, 77

* LW: 11, 23

* AMC: 10 or any combo that gives 10 as sum (28, 37)

* CF: 9, 11 (if available), 20, 21, 29, 90, 99

* 12 is the utility player
* 13 and 17 are for player I'm unsure about
* Reserves and random additions get the free numbers over 30

Archived