Your most enjoyable 3D Match Engine?

FM18 is the best ME we have currently had, so I have to go for that.

7 hours ago, Baodan said:

Has any of them been able to make exceptionally technically gifted players stand out? No? Well if any had then I'd probably pick that one.

Yes, they have. It is entirely possible to get excellent players stand out and be the centre of a team if you know what you are doing. I am currently messing around with Barcelona to see how close to Guardiola's tactics I can get. Messi and Suarez have been outstanding for me thus far. Messi has the most assists in the league right now, and second most goals for me (he missed a couple of weeks injured, else he would be higher). He is absolutely central to everything we do, and I have designed the way I play to get him involved as much as I can. His average rating is approaching 8.0 at roughly a third of the way through the season.

Suarez is scoring for fun, he is on a goal a game at the moment, and has a fair few assists himself. Similar to Messi, his average rating is around 8.0, and he has scored some cracking goals. One of them was a dribble from his own half, around 3 defenders and scoring on his own. Conclusion, it is entirely possible to get the absolute best out of amazing players if you are set up right.

13 hours ago, Baodan said:

Has any of them been able to make exceptionally technically gifted players stand out? No? Well if any had then I'd probably pick that one.

Stand out in which sense? A couple releases ago you could technically gifted, fast, in particular two footed dribblers make a fantasy amount of dribbles per match (naturally a bit unrealistic too). :D I personally don't think the amount of goals or assists or anything is a gauge of whether a player truly stands out. After all, he may be simply score what is roughly expected given his (many or few) attempts at goal. LIkewise goes for the assists -- in particular with the play maker roles which attract the ball you can set up teams in such a way that every other pass leading to a shot goes through the same player. IIRC that's also how players prior made Messi scoring Messi amounts of goals (then again, in footie too he has 5+ attempts average per match, whilst the average forward has but roughly 2). For a few inspirations, the tactical forums are always a good bet. However, yeah, there will be balancing changes (see "super dribblers" above, so the experience is going to vary. ANd it's really hard to check how much technical attributes as such shine through.

My favourite match engine is going to be the one that has the perfect balance, that is until the one that has an even better balance. :D

15 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Yes, they have. It is entirely possible to get excellent players stand out and be the centre of a team if you know what you are doing.

No the 3D ME does not really show any dribble moves, no matter how much you know what you're doing.

9 hours ago, Svenc said:

Stand out in which sense?

As in Ronaldinho at Barcelona doing tricks right left and center, completely destroying opponents with dribbling moves. Even lower league sides have technically gifted players that stand out with their dribbling. FM has neither of this - and no I'm not talking "dribbles per min".

I too would like to see individual flair and technique  represented more clearly in the match engine & 3D. There are some few instances where the dribbler leaves the defender 1-2m behind but they are not enough and they seem to happen only with the very top players (18+ dribbling, agility, flair)

Archived