Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: VAR and Match Improvements

I wonder if a VAR interruption is going to be as obvious as goals being disallowed for offside in FM18... where you can tell if a goal is being disallowed, by the position of the assistant referee. Will it be the same kind of "fouls" that are reverted to VAR each time?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suprised there are so few comments on the passage on play in the video clip. 

What is the referee going to VAR for? The ball is floated in & the attacking player who falls to the ground ends up there because he runs into the defender (using a slide tacke animtion :D), doesn't strike me a something a referee would instantly decide he needs to see again. When you read the commentary line there is reference to a push by the defender, fair enough the animiations have probably failed here but look at where the ref is & his line of sight, there are no players blocking his view & he is close enough to see a push so taking the commentary text as fact over the animations there is stil the question of why is this a decision that needs referring to the VAR feed?  It could be a case of the marketing or ME team picking a poor example from a limited sample set but there is a nagging fear at the back of my mind that VAR reviews might happen too frequently in matches.

Also why is he signaling for a goal kick after giving the VAR signal?

You have to be careful because that referees long walk over to the touch line to watch the video will quickly become frustrating. You may want to cut out (edit out) some of the waiting because it distracts from the enjoyment of the game maybe?

Its a bit like injuries. It takes a long time for staff to run onto the pitch to help the injured player (why dont they sprint very quickly??) Then they take a long time tending to the player. Then they take ages walking off the pitch. They should walk off the pitch at the nearest sideline rather than slowwalk all the way back to the substitutes bench.

I think youve got to cut down on these frustrating elements, exact realism is not always best policy in my opinion.

I’d like to know some question about the new feature that will be in FM19, VAR.

1) Referees could decide to watch it? I mean, they will check automatically every time that they have a doubt, or in controversial situation, they could decide to don’t check VAR, and commit some mistakes?
2) it will be possible criticize the referee in press Conference like previous version in the games, and risk a touchline ban, or now with VAR this is not more possible? 

Thank you so Much for reply

The big potential problems I see with this feature that haven't been mentioned yet are:

1. In the year 2030 are VAR decisions still going to be seen as massive controversial talking points in press conferences as by this time it will just be like any other part of the game and it would have been perfected much more

2. As time goes on more and more leagues will start using VAR, will this be represented in the game. Its not realistic for the same 5 or so league/competitions that use VAR in 2018 to be the same leagues/competitions using VAR in the year 2030.

Edited by francis#17

1 hour ago, 2feet said:

You have to be careful because that referees long walk over to the touch line to watch the video will quickly become frustrating. You may want to cut out (edit out) some of the waiting because it distracts from the enjoyment of the game maybe?

Its a bit like injuries. It takes a long time for staff to run onto the pitch to help the injured player (why dont they sprint very quickly??) Then they take a long time tending to the player. Then they take ages walking off the pitch. They should walk off the pitch at the nearest sideline rather than slowwalk all the way back to the substitutes bench.

I think youve got to cut down on these frustrating elements, exact realism is not always best policy in my opinion.

Or how it takes 5 minutes for the ref to walk over to show a player a card...

On 27/09/2018 at 06:48, Neil Brock said:

FM19 sees the introduction of two pieces of video technology that have been used in the real world in recent seasons. The first of these is Video Assistant Referees or VAR, which will be included in competitions that make use of the technology in reality.

There is a lot of talk about which competitions will add VAR in the near future, the Champions League being a big one. Can we expect the possibility of VAR being added to competitions in future seasons?

Simply put VAR exists in football and therefore needs to exist in Football Manager as well.

That being said, what really leaves much to be desired is the fact that the animation is too poor to make a real judgement yourself, and this was always the case. I know people can argue all day about the graphics engine and whether or not it matters, but in this case it's certainly key. If the ref calls a PK against you and the narration at the bottom says "that looked dubious" you may feel you're being nudged to answer "the referee got it wrong" in the post-match press conference. But how do you really know if you can't see it? There are times where I disagree with the commentary IRL, so that's not a given. It's not a clear enough picture to really analyze for yourself, so there's no real way of ever knowing if the call was correct or not. For example, the coding for collisions (or lack thereof) make it impossible to tell if the guy's actually been tripped or took a dive.

I try to be honest in the way I play the game - if my team suffered an egregiously bad call, yeah, I'd call it out. But in FM it just seems like you run the risk of a fine or a ban for something there's no way you could feel confident in claiming. which makes it feel like it's never worthwhile. So VAR could actually be really, really cool if in future versions it adds a higher-def replay that sort of zooms in with higher-level graphics that allow you to really get in there and reveal the truth. if I understand correctly a large reason why normal gameplay is lower quality is because it has to be generated in real time along with the calculations of the ME, etc. But imagine you see a blurry altercation and suddenly the match pauses and that clip is blown up to near FIFA size as the game perhaps pulls from certain foul or no foul animations and you can say, oh yeah, he totally tripped the guy! The video that dropped yesterday cycling through the new features seemed to show this done in the 2D view, so I was hopeful, but I guess that was a completely unrelated hype thing.

Edited by Weston

On 28/09/2018 at 03:20, maxisignorelli said:

You are right. but how would you recreate that moment in the game? Even watching on TV you cannot listen what the refs in the studio says to the ref in the pitch, so there are a lot of times they talk and you don't even know.

It's just a game, and it's a very good feature to make the game more realistic, take it that way.

I'm not criticising it's inclusion so don't get me wrong, it's a nice addition if only really cosmetic. It's just the OCD in me has had to point out it's not correctly implemented. It's a start and while this will take far smarter brains than mine, little replays of the foul, maybe a message across the screen letting you know the obvious that the studio refs are looking at the incident etc. 

It's a new feature for SI to develop, tweak and fiddle with going forward i would think.

On 28/09/2018 at 09:57, SortitoutsiVP said:

Absolutely ridiculous post, there's a little more than just the changes you've mentioned isn't there (training has had a massive overhaul for one and tactics look very promising), plus we're still gonna have more news over the coming days. 

I cannot wait for release day now.

What’s ridiculous about it? All I did was ask a question. (It was a joke too, Einstein)

I must admit that the way the ref runs over to the hi tech VAR screen doesn’t fill me with hope of any graphics and animation upgrades. People can keep saying oh it’s not that type of game but it is 2018 not 1820. The graphics should be much, much better than this. Don’t get me wrong - I think the match engine is very good - it’s just the match day graphics that let the game down somewhat. 

Also, at the end of the day IT’S A GAME. Therefore should be fun. So if the inclusion of VAR adds to the fun then that’s great but I’ve got a feeling it could get annoying. 

On 28/09/2018 at 07:22, MrManagerMan said:

Put your hands up if you want to buy the same game as last year but with the menus and stats in different positions on the screen and in a different colour but with added VAR...

...Thought not.

12 minutes ago, MrManagerMan said:

What’s ridiculous about it? All I did was ask a question. (It was a joke too, Einstein)

Erm all if it really.

I mean fair enough if you don't like any of whats been announced so far but to say its the same as last years game just makes no sense.

8 hours ago, Weston said:

There is a lot of talk about which competitions will add VAR in the near future, the Champions League being a big one. Can we expect the possibility of VAR being added to competitions in future seasons?

you will be able to enable VAR in all the competitions that you want by the editor

Am 28.9.2018 um 11:40 schrieb FrazT:

So who exactly are " you guys"?

My comment was that it baffles me that users will jump to conclusions about the new game, based only on some incomplete info- it happens every year and it will continue to happen.  I have no problem with that, but it continues to confuse me and has nothing to do with not accepting criticism.

So when isthe right time its also since a long time , and i accuse other developers a lot more of that that the cycle is: Wow new game will be so much better and of course adress issues that have been adressed for yers now too, dont be "those guys" and attack for konown old issues. Then theres the first previews and of course dont be one of "the guys" to see not adressed issues in it, its only a preview, dont judge yet. Then the game is out , the issues remain of course as the development cycle had already ended at preview and "those guys" critize the current version while "the real guys" already have their mind on the next version where real fans concentrte on becuse verything will be so much better this time. Pessimists spoil the fun really. :-D

Tht marketing cycle one day is the real issue for developers then and slowly they loose their real customer base on the search for NEW markets, and flashy stuff to advertise, and then its basically: Well the market didnt support us anymore, its the fans fault basically we are out of work. Not that SI is anyhwere near that , but there are some things already working the wrong way. And if its too late exactly the guys , the fans, are those that miss their favourite game still most.

THE GUYS rule...and are more than dumb customers, they often support a product even that has become dumb. :-D 

Edited by GerdMuller

4 hours ago, Branquinho1997 said:

you will be able to enable VAR in all the competitions that you want by the editor

That's not what I asked. I like how once the game begins it becomes an entirely separate timeline from reality with its own probabilities for its own possible scenarios. Just because VAR is added to a league IRL in one or 10 seasons from now doesn't mean that the same league will choose to add it in FM, nor does it mean it will happen at the same time - unless it is announced at the time of release it obviously won't be coded to appear in my save. You can edit pretty much anything in the game if you really want to, but much like the different Brexit scenarios that pop up I think it would be a nice touch if VAR could have the possibility to be randomly added to different leagues at different times because that is where we are right now at the time of release - the possibility is being discussed but nothing is certain yet. Besides, by the time VAR is announced in the CL IRL, assuming it at some point is, my save will be years ahead of that point it gets implemented, so editing it in still wouldn't recreate reality 100% anyway.

33 minutes ago, Weston said:

That's not what I asked. I like how once the game begins it becomes an entirely separate timeline from reality with its own probabilities for its own possible scenarios. Just because VAR is added to a league IRL in one or 10 seasons from now doesn't mean that the same league will choose to add it in FM, nor does it mean it will happen at the same time - unless it is announced at the time of release it obviously won't be coded to appear in my save. You can edit pretty much anything in the game if you really want to, but much like the different Brexit scenarios that pop up I think it would be a nice touch if VAR could have the possibility to be randomly added to different leagues at different times because that is where we are right now at the time of release - the possibility is being discussed but nothing is certain yet. Besides, by the time VAR is announced in the CL IRL, assuming it at some point is, my save will be years ahead of that point it gets implemented, so editing it in still wouldn't recreate reality 100% anyway.

btw VAR will be in the UCL , in the EURO 2020 and on other competitions  next season.

and i agree 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Are there  changes in the actual match engine or just graphics and VAR?

There will have been changes to the ME otherwise some of the new tactical styles & player rooles simpy would not work.

5 hours ago, Branquinho1997 said:

btw VAR will be in the UCL , in the EURO 2020 and on other competitions  next season.

and i agree 

You're right, that was a bad example on my part! I guess I'm more concerned with Serie B etc as I spend a lot of my time in the lower leagues that do not have it yet or even any solid plans to implement though the inevitable intention is definitely there.

1 hour ago, Weston said:

You're right, that was a bad example on my part! I guess I'm more concerned with Serie B etc as I spend a lot of my time in the lower leagues that do not have it yet or even any solid plans to implement though the inevitable intention is definitely there.

np ,

btw via the editor you can insert VAR in whatever leagues you want so , you are good

1 minute ago, Branquinho1997 said:

np ,

btw via the editor you can insert VAR in whatever leagues you want so , you are good

Right but like I said I don't like to "cheat" or otherwise manipulate with the editor if I can avoid it. I'd rather the game world decide to randomly choose when to implement to preserve immersion, etc.

I guess it had to happen so I've made peace with that but I really, REALLY hope that the vexatious questions about it being controversial disappear after a few seasons coz that will happen in real life. My worry is that it will be implemented and then the game world treats VAR like it is in its first year every year for the next five decades of your career. That would suck.

11 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

I guess it had to happen so I've made peace with that but I really, REALLY hope that the vexatious questions about it being controversial disappear after a few seasons coz that will happen in real life. My worry is that it will be implemented and then the game world treats VAR like it is in its first year every year for the next five decades of your career. That would suck.

Good point & one that I'm inclined to think could be spot on.

3 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

I’m in my 20th season of being asked if we need a winter break in England. 

15 hours ago, Weston said:

Right but like I said I don't like to "cheat" or otherwise manipulate with the editor if I can avoid it. I'd rather the game world decide to randomly choose when to implement to preserve immersion, etc.

but the game wont decide because it´s only going to be implemented in the leagues that already use the VAR system...

thats why i´m saying to if you want use the editor and do like me , a save with editor (var included in what leagues i want and the changes that i want ) and a no editor save just to play for leaderboards or whatever...

1 hour ago, Branquinho1997 said:

but the game wont decide because it´s only going to be implemented in the leagues that already use the VAR system...

This is literally the point of my initial comment: It would be nice and good if FM coded the ability for VAR to be spontaneously added to VAR-less leagues in future seasons just as it prepared various Brexit scenarios.

4 hours ago, rdbayly said:

I’m in my 20th season of being asked if we need a winter break in England. 

It would also be interested if FM secretly included the possibility for a winter break to be added in England at some future point in a similar way.

Posted this in another thread - but felt since was the official thread it would be more likely monitored and responded to.

No problem with VAR, and no problem with included, - but a shorter clip with a VAR decision to be made is welcome, and as I previously suggested, maybe show an in-clip of the incident while a decision being made, or a replay from different angles etc. 

And will it be used for every single controversial goal, penalty decision, red card - even when it's clear cut, i.e., no need for VAR decision. 

Plus, will we see a mistaken identity situation too? 

Edited by Smurf

1 hour ago, wally13 said:

If its not used overkill i personally think its a great addition will add a bit more excitement to the match day experience 

Have you watched the video clip? I would not say the footage was exciting in the slightest.

4 minutes ago, Barside said:

Have you watched the video clip? I would not say the footage was exciting in the slightest.

Wow 1 video i'll reserve my proper judgement till I've seen it properly, And i did't actually mean that video was exciting i meant the feature might be if its used properly 

That one video will be the best one SI were able to produce for promotional purposes, setting asied that they may make late changes based on feedback what we've seen is likely to be as good as it gets.

2 hours ago, Barside said:

That one video will be the best one SI were able to produce for promotional purposes, setting asied that they may make late changes based on feedback what we've seen is likely to be as good as it gets.

Maybe suppose we'll see soon enough 

On 27/09/2018 at 13:48, Neil Brock said:

3.png

Finally, team talks contain more information in FM19 than in previous years. Dynamics has now been integrated into team talks with each player’s position in your squad’s hierarchy now displayed on the team talk screen. You’ll now be informed of any effect that your team talk has on your team leaders. As keeping your team leaders on side is important to maintaining a happy dressing room, it’s worth considering what effect your words will have on them and how that, in turn, may filter through the rest of the squad.

More useful information is always good to make a decision. It is great to have that information right there because I used to try to memorize their status, which after a while you can.

On 27/09/2018 at 08:48, Neil Brock said:

More than 500 animations have been replaced or improved. These include ball control animations, crosses, headers, passes, shots, tackles, some celebrations and even crowd movements. 

No dribbles? In one of the previous version some players could even do stepovers.

What kind of headers? Diving headers (off/defensive) are included? In FM18 they were ridiculous, the player doesn't throw himself against the ball, he simply lay down on the flor and for any reason he could hit the ball with the head. The diving headers seemed any breakdance step than a real header.

Offensive

Defensive

What kind of tackles? Finishing tackles are included? In one of the previous version the player could attack the ball with a tackle to score.

On 27/09/2018 at 10:26, legnerschorsch said:

As long as the world cup final still looks the same like a non-league game the match engine is  a failure. It seems changing this doesn´t have any priority for SI or they are incapable of doing so.

It's frustrating any tournament/match is treated like "any match".

On 27/09/2018 at 12:43, Flashman said:

Am I missing something with this introduction of VAR and goal line technology?  These are things used in real life to eliminate human error from decision making on the pitch.  With Football Manager, there is no human error in the decision making on the pitch - so what are these features going to add?  Immersion perhaps?

As others have asked as well - how much time will we be made to wait whilst a decision is referred to VAR..?

There are some errors yes, Myself was benefited sometimes.

On 27/09/2018 at 14:02, GoldenGoal said:

ipVLkiA.png

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH 

On 27/09/2018 at 14:53, Lord Rowell said:

"Additionally, we’ve included disabled fans in all types of stadiums. "

Good to see :)

Amazing SI. Other games added women but you go further.

On 27/09/2018 at 16:02, SlobaFMB said:

SI is only one who care about disabled people or LGBT community in games (if we compare with FIFA, NBA, PES, NFL, NHL...). Nice in every case!

I think good, I liked that "gay feature" but I think it could have been a real gameplay. I suggested it, but myself thinks polemic but I would think interesting... Oh I see that topic about the players coming out was deleted but I post my idea here:

When the player came out, the manager should control board, fans, media, rest of the team about, because someones can be in favour  (raise relationships,) and other ones could be against and ask his expulsion (drop relationships) and the manager has take a decision: keep the player with risk of suffer some bad consequences (drop relationship with players, board worried with the club image, other of your relationships outside the club can change for good or bad) or release the player. What defies what will happen depend of how each part will react about it and the manager would take the best decision for the career and for the moral. It could take a reflection in the real life about the subject, even sometimes the game player can be encouraged to do a thing in game that maybe he wouldn't support IRL. I like games that bring that "blue/red pill" idea. But as I said, it would be much polemic to SI but would be a thing would add in game because it would change the Team Dynamics and the Overall Dynamics, instead only good marketing in having a gay player in the team. IMO I think it very simple and if the idea is cause impact and call attention to the cause would add it like a feature that change your gameplay and not a cosmetic thing. 

I saw many people complained about, for stupid obvious "reasons" and why the people thought it cosmetic. 

On 28/09/2018 at 15:27, Matteo3champions said:

2) it will be possible criticize the referee in press Conference like previous version in the games, and risk a touchline ban, or now with VAR this is not more possible? 

Thank you so Much for reply

+1

On 28/09/2018 at 23:03, Weston said:

It could be like dynamic rivalry or dynamic league reputation.

================================

My opinion: Great addiction, I really I wasn't expect about because I don't see VAR in Premier League in this season but how both are in the game rules, I think valid. I think funny that there weren't that amount of criticizes (at least I didn't see) when FIFA brought it in the game (goal line). But I have doubt how it will works:

- The ME will force mistake to be corrected by VAR/goal line?

- If both are separated layer of judgement, is there risk the VAR to be fail too? (a bad ref decision, ref will have a look... and keeps a bad decision or makes a worse one)

If the second one happens, I will love because the unexpected factor (that's the football), even I having some rages I'll accept because I can be benefited too, then fifty-fifty

On 28/09/2018 at 13:22, 2feet said:

Exactly. This is actually a great example of where an artificial simulation can improve upon the real thing. By editing out the delay, FM can streamline VAR into a 5 second dramatic event. If it's real-life slow in FM then I'll be editing VAR out of my leagues in the Editor.

9 hours ago, Overmars said:

Exactly. This is actually a great example of where an artificial simulation can improve upon the real thing. By editing out the delay, FM can streamline VAR into a 5 second dramatic event. If it's real-life slow in FM then I'll be editing VAR out of my leagues in the Editor.

I agree.

Hopefully they give us an option to skip the animation at least because i assume after seeing it the first 3 or 4 times it might get a little annoying.

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

The crowd look absolutely ridiculous

FM18 was bad enough.

I genuinely do not understand how SI can look at that and think it looks anything like a football crowd, with 99% of the stadium wearing one of the club's two kits. It look rank. It looks awful. It totally goes against everything SI claim to be trying to achieve. It takes you instantly out of any semblance of immersion instantly, every single time you enter a match.

How can you go to all the effort of making welcome improvements to smaller grounds, increasing inclusiveness (and realism) by including disabled fans, and then look at a full stadium of people in shiny red tops and think "yep, that'll do".

The mind actually boggles as to what goes through the minds of SI, I'm convinced there aren't any FM fans working there any more.

I 100% agree with you, I find it hard to believe that the developers look at that and say yes that looks like a football stadium and a real football crowd.  In my opinion the last time the stadiums approached realism was in FM16, even then replica shirts were a little too many, but not as bad as FM18 and it appears FM19.  In FM16 the lighting was appropiate to the seasons and the weather effects on the pitch fairly realistic.  It was not perfect of course, but a hellava lot better than anything since.  The only reason I can think of is the studio which produced the artwork for FM16 was changed for whatever reason (maybe they were too expensive) and there is a contract in place with the current lot, so I guess we may be stuck with it.  If this is the "new" graphics engine then I am waiting for the next one.

7 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I 100% agree with you, I find it hard to believe that the developers look at that and say yes that looks like a football stadium and a real football crowd.  In my opinion the last time the stadiums approached realism was in FM16, even then replica shirts were a little too many, but not as bad as FM18 and it appears FM19.  In FM16 the lighting was appropiate to the seasons and the weather effects on the pitch fairly realistic.  It was not perfect of course, but a hellava lot better than anything since.  The only reason I can think of is the studio which produced the artwork for FM16 was changed for whatever reason (maybe they were too expensive) and there is a contract in place with the current lot, so I guess we may be stuck with it.  If this is the "new" graphics engine then I am waiting for the next one.

Graphics engine =/= graphics/animations. The graphics engine was new.

10 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Think the 3D graphics have got steadily worse since FM2015 . If it wasn't for gamers making better pitches and Balls and better faces and hair styles and some adjustments to the stadiums it would be laughable . FM2017 was bad but some gamers graphics made it a lot better but in FM2018 they seem to have made it a lot harder to do . FM2018 pitches were absolutely atrocious and burnt my retinas . As you said I cant understand it either how they get the idea that it looks good . In FM2018 they even took away the views of the 3D match . Not sideline or touchline or rail views ? So I am also at a loss to why . Budget cuts maybe ?

Edited by prot651

VAR makes no sense in a videogame to me right now, but I hope SI will release some videos of the 3D match engine very soon, that indicates what influences VAR will have on the gameplay. I don´t think SI would have this feature in FM 2019, if they haven´t got the license of the german bundesliga. I look forward to FM 2019, but I will not pre-order before I have seen, which improvements SI have done to the match engine.

14 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I 100% agree with you, I find it hard to believe that the developers look at that and say yes that looks like a football stadium and a real football crowd.  In my opinion the last time the stadiums approached realism was in FM16, even then replica shirts were a little too many, but not as bad as FM18 and it appears FM19.  In FM16 the lighting was appropiate to the seasons and the weather effects on the pitch fairly realistic.  It was not perfect of course, but a hellava lot better than anything since.  The only reason I can think of is the studio which produced the artwork for FM16 was changed for whatever reason (maybe they were too expensive) and there is a contract in place with the current lot, so I guess we may be stuck with it.  If this is the "new" graphics engine then I am waiting for the next one. it

I don't care about the 3D Match Graphics. The current graphics or animation meets it's needs and allows the manager to see what's going on.

I only watch 2D, and I want FM to work on budget 300 pounds laptops from now till forever.

Tactics, training and how much depth the game has, are what made me love FM.

Miles Jacobson understands that the 3D graphics are not the top priority like FIFA or PES

1 minute ago, kingking said:

I don't care about the 3D Match Graphics. The current graphics or animation meets it's needs and allows the manager to see what's going on.

I only watch 2D, and I want FM to work on budget 300 pounds laptops from now till forever.

Miles Jacobson understands that the 3D graphics are not the top priority like FIFA or PES

Whilst I fully respect your point, but if the look of the game is not important why include stadiums at all, you could still see what is going on by just showing the pitch.  Why bother with managers on the sideline, photographers, stewards etc, if something is not the best, just leave it out.  The point I was making was that the look of the game was better in earlier versions

27 minutes ago, kingking said:

Well then Miles Jacobson is mistaken then !!!  The game just doesn't appeal to one set of players and if you are going to quote the word simulation and realistic gameplay then he needs to deliver . I bet he would give his eye teeth for a Graphics display like PES or FIFA . I understand the 3D isn't for everyone but it is for a lot of players who like to see the game played out rather than watching 2D  dots on a screen . You either have a 3D game and keep improving it or give up all together . They were on the right track a few games ago then went downhill

Edited by prot651

8 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Well then Miles Jacobson is mistaken then !!!  The game just doesn't appeal to one set of players and if you are going to quote the word simulation and realistic gameplay then he needs to deliver . I bet he would give his eye teeth for a Graphics display like PES or FIFA . I understand the 3D isn't for everyone but it is for a lot of players who like to see the game played out rather than watching 2D  dots on a screen . You either have a 3D game and keep improving it or give up all together . They were on the right track a few games ago then went downhill

Absolutely