If FM 19 is released in November, when exactly are final player/team stats decided before that date?

Is form at the beginning of the season a factor in deciding key stats for players or teams? Or is that done independently (i.e. based on the previous season)?

The question came to mind in following one of my lower league teams this season (Salford). They lost 4 of their 5 opening matches this season with an unlucky start. They have since won 12 games in a row (often 3-0)  and are now dominating the national league. I  was wandering if either that bad run at the beginning, their recent incredible run, or perhaps their previous season determines their player and team stats.

Just curious.

I believe the database is locked couple of weeks after the summer transfer window has closed. Players' performance after that point will be considered for the winter transfer update, which usually comes out in February. I'm not a SI staff, so I might be wrong though.

There is a data-lock, as Haiku says.  From that point on, there can still be minor changes, but they become rarer due to not wanting to throw data in without the requisite testing.  I imagine major changes still get put in though, watch for any managers getting sacked in the run-up to release as Miles goes all head's gone.

For the specific example in the OP, I doubt you'll get a team completely overhauled because they started well.  I believe from another researcher that they base their stats on the previous season anyway, as I guess that would be a better idea of quality rather than the smaller sample set of recent form.  But things like manager changes will probably make it in before release unless it's super late.

the reason we are getting the game as late as november is not for better database as you may think (that they wait for 1-2 months of the competitions for more accurate attributes/database). It is because SI have made a deal with some teams to get the database first and in advance from anyone else. 

12 hours ago, Ampalaea4 said:

the reason we are getting the game as late as november is not for better database as you may think (that they wait for 1-2 months of the competitions for more accurate attributes/database). It is because SI have made a deal with some teams to get the database first and in advance from anyone else. 

Yeah, that'll be why they've always released it then, even before teams started using the database, right enough.  Loosen the tinfoil hat a bit.

Player stats are based on the season 2017/18, which is wise in any case, because a whole season will always give you a good picture and lots of data and indications to evaluate. There are teams and players which perform well at the start of the new season and then suddenly hit a big bump.

If you want the "recent form" of the teams taken into account, you need to wait until the Winter update, which will adjust players stats slightly due to their most recent performances.

Transfers and new managers are updated almost right up to the release date.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Jean-Luc said:

Player stats are based on the season 2017/18, which is wise in any case, because a whole season will always give you a good picture and lots of data and indications to evaluate. There are teams and players which perform well at the start of the new season and then suddenly hit a big bump.

If you want the "recent form" of the teams taken into account, you need to wait until the Winter update, which will adjust players stats slightly due to their most recent performances.

Transfers and new managers are updated almost right up to the release date.

This is the same answer you'd get from us. 

Thanks for the response Neil. I have one more quick question for you, if you could possibly answer it.

As you might have guessed, I am a Salford man. This season they signed Adam Rooney on a 4k salary (that's a championship wage and more than his prior Aberdeen premiership wage). Plus a couple others on a 1k salary. I'm worried the game's algorithms for lower league (especially non-league) clubs will bankrupt Salford every game.

Or have you guys taken this in to consideration  - and the fact that Salford is backed/owned my a billionaire (Peter Lim) and several millionaires (the class of 92). Because this was not acknowledged in FM2018.

I know it's impossible for you guys to cater to the whim of every Tom, Dick and Harry, but I am just a little bit worried my Salford game will always end in financial ruin because of their wage budget.

59 minutes ago, bennyj22 said:

Thanks for the response Neil. I have one more quick question for you, if you could possibly answer it.

As you might have guessed, I am a Salford man. This season they signed Adam Rooney on a 4k salary (that's a championship wage and more than his prior Aberdeen premiership wage). Plus a couple others on a 1k salary. I'm worried the game's algorithms for lower league (especially non-league) clubs will bankrupt Salford every game.

Or have you guys taken this in to consideration  - and the fact that Salford is backed/owned my a billionaire (Peter Lim) and several millionaires (the class of 92). Because this was not acknowledged in FM2018.

I know it's impossible for you guys to cater to the whim of every Tom, Dick and Harry, but I am just a little bit worried my Salford game will always end in financial ruin because of their wage budget.

* 2018 SPOILERS *

This article gives a good overview of the different type of FM owners who "bankroll" clubs (which includes Salford). 

https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-2018-sugar-daddy-clubs/

As manager of Ebbsfleet I would get a cash injection whenever my balance was heading towards ~£500k in the red, as my allowed wage budget far exceeded club income. Essentially, some owners underwrite the losses. 

The problem with that is that when spending 4 or 5 seasons (before you reach the premiership money) constantly being underwritten, it makes it very hard (if not impossible) to upgrade facilitates along the way, because the board interprets the club as constantly being in extreme debt or on the verge of financial collapse.

However, to return to Salford again, they are upgrading their facilities at quite a frenetic pace. For instance, they have just opened the Academy of 92 - perhaps the only youth academy of its type in the world, amongst other investments.

1 hour ago, bennyj22 said:

The problem with that is that when spending 4 or 5 seasons (before you reach the premiership money) constantly being underwritten, it makes it very hard (if not impossible) to upgrade facilitates along the way, because the board interprets the club as constantly being in extreme debt or on the verge of financial collapse.

However, to return to Salford again, they are upgrading their facilities at quite a frenetic pace. For instance, they have just opened the Academy of 92 - perhaps the only youth academy of its type in the world, amongst other investments.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that and maybe the type of owner(s) need looking at?

To use my Ebbfleet example, the board would refuse to allow me to study for a coaching qualification (for financial reasons) while paying up to the FFP wage limit in League 2. 

Will be interesting to see how Salford are treated in FM 2019.

Archived