Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Stevicus said:

Are the graphical attribute bars gone now?

Is this finally the year I'm forced to use numbers like everyone else? :D

Not everyone else, changing numbers into bars was always the first thing I'd do in FM; very disappointed to see them missing.

Please SI, tell us they're making a comeback in the full release!

1 hour ago, Rivanov said:

It runs great on my MacBook Retina 12". Much faster than FM 2018.

I have the 2016 model... I’ve never tried FM on it just looking at the spec requirements seemed it cripple the MacBook within minutes. 

Which model are you running.

Just now, Truetalk said:

Noticed that Barcelonas record kit deal isn't in the sponsors & other finance page but the epl clubs have their additional kit deals in place man utds £75 million per season adidas seal is there also chelseas new £60 million per season deal is there, https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/10637904/barcelona-confirm-record-kit-deal-with-nike 

You should post this in the database/research section.

Just now, Major Raver said:

I've always played with the first transfer window turned off, but can't understand why that now means you cant sign players on loan, trials and free transfers.  Game breaking as far as I'm concerned, wrecked my enjoyment of LLM :(

Yeah I spent 2.5 hours on my first save setting everything up before a realised this and had to restart. Really bizarre change - hope they revert back to normal settings soon.  

2 minutes ago, Jinner Jamie said:

I have the 2016 model... I’ve never tried FM on it just looking at the spec requirements seemed it cripple the MacBook within minutes. 

Also the 2016 Model. m3 processor with 8GB RAM.

I also have the 2015 27" 5K iMac as my main machine where I mostly play FM. But when i'm on the couch it's nice to play on the MacBook and FM 2019 runs great on it. Even 3D matches set to High Quality.

Edited by Rivanov

1 minute ago, heyhowie said:

Yeah I spent 2.5 hours on my first save setting everything up before a realised this and had to restart. Really bizarre change - hope they revert back to normal settings soon.  

Same for me, spent 3 hours looking at players and then find I cant sign any on trial :(  Really poor decision this. 

Just now, Jinner Jamie said:

I have the 2016 M7 model. It’s ran FM17 and 18 quite well. FM19 currently seems to run well, but not played a game yet.

12 minutes ago, Major Raver said:

I've always played with the first transfer window turned off, but can't understand why that now means you cant sign players on loan, trials and free transfers.  Game breaking as far as I'm concerned, wrecked my enjoyment of LLM :(

Why do you turn it off if you want to make signings? 

32 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Regen faces look ugly but it's a 'good' ugly, I can live with them as long as there's more variation and diversity than FM18.

Another set of gimpish looking regens but as long as they don't change race every time i reload the game i can live with it

Although the changes in pressing, separate attacking/defensive width are good, I'm disappointed that I have less control over player mentality distribution and creative freedom now. The tactics are simplified and restrictive for an advance user like me.

I mean why can't I have my CF on 'Attacking' mentality and CD on 'Very defensive' on any team mentality and role combination?

Edited by pats

3 minutes ago, heyhowie said:

Because it's never stopped you signing loans or free transfers in the past. it just keeps the core of all teams the same while the scraps are cleaned up ;) 

Yes, but it's usually only there for people who want the "realism" of the first six months being with the squads clubs are actually using. In the past people have selected it, then signed a full squad on loan.

It's better this way, IMO.

1 minute ago, Major Raver said:

Actually a good question, lol.  Talking of free transfers, not spending cash for players.  Lower leagues with injuries and fatigue its needed in the first season at times.

I see. Be better if they had an option for disabling the first window, and another for disabling budgets in the first window.

3 minutes ago, pats said:

Although the changes in pressing, separate attacking/defensive width are good, I'm disappointed that I have less control over player mentality distribution and creative freedom now. The tactics are simplified and restrictive for an advance user like me.

I mean why can't I have my CF on 'Attacking' mentality and CD on 'Very defensive' on any team mentality and role combination?

Agreed. The changes are good for people who were useless at tactics. Not so much for people who had an idea what they were doing. Infact, I'm finding tactics a lot more confusing now (but that's also largely due to the poor UI).

4 minutes ago, pats said:

You could never have your individual players as far as I'm aware using different team mentalities

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, but it's usually only there for people who want the "realism" of the first six months being with the squads clubs are actually using. In the past people have selected it, then signed a full squad on loan.

It's better this way, IMO.

I see. Be better if they had an option for disabling the first window, and another for disabling budgets in the first window.

I don't disagree with that at all.  I've gone a week in with Torquay and have no goalkeeper for 5 months due to injuries and no way of signing an emergency one either :(

26 minutes ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

Could you please post this in the technical issues area of the bugs forum, stating your machine specs? Thanks.

Will do. Technically speaking my laptop is below the required specs, but I never had any problems at all with FM18 and the requirements are supposed to be the same. 

I have had something odd happen I believe you want to look at it, the opposition kicked a long ball my keeper was at the edge of the area and instead of either take it or kick it the ball bounce off him he didn't move at all and the opposition player run towards him and  score was no one else there just the keeper. Also the amount of injury again is really high losing 4 players in one match is a bit too much, I love the tactical  system  more easy to understand don't need a degree in astrophysics to play the game anymore, keep it up !

Edited by Relik

20 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Linking creative freedom with compactness and mentality made no sense though. 

I agree but I just wanted to have more control over mentality distribution and creative freedom separately though. I enjoy tweaking and micro-managing my tactics. It's the biggest and most exciting part I love the most about FM and football in general.

Edited by pats

Fabulous job guys as always

The Good

- Match engine graphics are a huge improvement. Really noticeable how much more fluid and true to life the animations are. Really impressed

- Tactics introduction, tutorial. This was really eye opening, even with thousands of hours sunk into the previous editions. A really welcome addition

- Tactics in general, this new system seems much more intuitive, great to see timewasting no longer greyed out. Really like the "transitional" system. Great job

- Training, a very welcome improvement. Love that I can schedule individual sessions and see a training rating

The Bad

- Lag. It can be a bit all over the place. Using a decent processor, Win10 64bit, 1080 graphics both the menus and the match engine stutter and lag. Not for long, but long enough to be a pain and to ruin immersion. I see some other have already submitted bug reports on this. FM18 ran flawlessly on same system

- Purple :( sorry, not a fan, just think it looks hideous

- The fonts. Maybe this is just a "don't like change" thing, but to me the new main body text font seems really hard to read, non true-type text. In general I'll be changing the whole UI when some of the better skins come out

- Still seeing Conference North stadiums with 50ft video screens :(

Edited by Cavjj

Having won two friendlies 12-0 and 13-0, I can comfortably say the match engine is complete and should see no further changes, ever.

I love how it feels like there are different ways to play the game now. In the past I've felt like there were limited options - yes, I could change formations and so on but the football always looked very similar, the philosophy that got played out always looked fairly Barca-esque regardless of what I picked. Team training was a twice a season 10 second switcheroo, when I remembered to change it at all. It felt like success was all in the initial setup - if I got things just so, it would all work out.

I feel like now there is much more flexibility, more ways to play FM, largely influenced by being forced to make big decisions early on. How do I actually want my team to play? What's the actual philosophy? It's a more fundamental decision now, at least for someone not tactically-gifted anyway. Same with training - I feel like I can probably trust the expert to get on with that and just chip in as and when... but I know in all of this, I can probably find another 10-20% of optimisation if I do want to chip in.

The training is forcing me to rethink preseason completely - before I just lumped in 10-12 friendlies and tried to maximise condition and bonding. Now I'm thinking much more about the role of training and match time, about the impact of not resting after friendlies.

Top work, SI. And in a year where you've moved offices as well... bravo!

46 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Personally I'm using the templates and tweaking them. Using Vertical Tiki Taka with changes to Roles, PI's and TI's.  It's still probably 80% of the default settings.

Same.

I wasnt going to use the templates, but one thing i preach (bore people to death with) in the tactic forum is to start with a stake in the ground, which you then build the roles, duties, instructions and players toward. 

Even if you massively tweak, just starting by choosing your end-goal style is really good for the thought process. Its there bold and brash every time you look at the tactic screen 'i am playing vertical tiki taka'.... No chance of losing sight of my goals. 

When starting up a new game, would like to see an option to automatically create a schedule of matches for U-18 (Academy) and U-23 teams with other teams in your division. This way, at least some development from match time can be gained.  What's the purpose of having an academy team, say for the Seattle Sounders, and then not having a schedule for them to compete and develop. It should be an option along with other advanced options such as "Add Key Staff". At the very least a schedule of Friendlies amongst the other teams. 

Edited by rain94

Looking really good so far, and I haven't even reached a match yet!

I like the skin/UI, the tactical styles are a good addition (also good that you can tweak them a little/lot), and the training revamp is very impressive (will take a while to get to grips with, but it should be rewarding when I do!)

The one issue I have so far is with individual training. Training players in 2/3 attributes at once, rather than 1, is an exciting and realistic addition, I think, but some attributes (Tackling, Crossing and Dribbling the 3 I've noticed so far) are individually untrainable, and I find this a bit odd. Someone asked a similar question earlier in the thread, with the reply being that training Tackling individually wouldn't really work - understandable, but a) this doesn't really apply to crossing (pretty sure Beckham put in a lot of solo work on his crosses back in the day) or Dribbling (cones as substitutes for players, etc), and b) other individual trainable attributes would also necessitate other participants, would they not? I don't have a football-coaching background, so I may of course be way off the mark! But I would've thought that Marking, for example, would be difficult to train without someone to mark, or, if you're learning to mark zonally, without another player entering your zone. Similarly for the Attacking Movement and Final Third modules - would training Off the Ball work that well without someone to mark you, or training Decisions or Vision work that well without someone to pass to?

My point being, if the reason for not making tackling, dribbling and crossing individually trainable is that individual training for these attributes isn't particularly viable, there are other attributes which are currently individually trainable which are arguably less viable than the aforementioned 3. Perhaps an individually-trainable Wing Play module (focusing on Crossing, Dribbling, and maybe Decisions) would be a good addition?

I'm less sure where Tackling would fit - but I can see it being quite annoying when you get a great regen whose defensive attributes are all pretty good, except for his tackling, and there's no reliable way of trying to get his tackling close to the level of his other attributes. Likewise, getting an attacking midfield regen with great technicals except for his subpar dribbling will be quite irritating. It was probably slightly too easy on past versions to simply train up one attribute, but the absence of certain attributes in the new model may have gone slightly too far in the opposite direction - though I've only being playing for a couple of hours, so it may end up being less of an issue than I envisage!

Another odd restriction is that I can't ask my wingbacks to cut inside from wide position anymore. I don't want to play him as 'Inverted wingback' because then he has the instructions to sit narrow. I want him to stay wide to stretch the play and cut inside from there on 'automatic' or 'support' duty with 'wingback' or 'complete wingback' role. I can't do that anymore. :(

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, Zbrillbladetim said:

Looking really good so far, and I haven't even reached a match yet!

I like the skin/UI, the tactical styles are a good addition (also good that you can tweak them a little/lot), and the training revamp is very impressive (will take a while to get to grips with, but it should be rewarding when I do!)

The one issue I have so far is with individual training. Training players in 2/3 attributes at once, rather than 1, is an exciting and realistic addition, I think, but some attributes (Tackling, Crossing and Dribbling the 3 I've noticed so far) are individually untrainable, and I find this a bit odd. Someone asked a similar question earlier in the thread, with the reply being that training Tackling individually wouldn't really work - understandable, but a) this doesn't really apply to crossing (pretty sure Beckham put in a lot of solo work on his crosses back in the day) or Dribbling (cones as substitutes for players, etc), and b) other individual trainable attributes would also necessitate other participants, would they not? I don't have a football-coaching background, so I may of course be way off the mark! But I would've thought that Marking, for example, would be difficult to train without someone to mark, or, if you're learning to mark zonally, without another player entering your zone. Similarly for the Attacking Movement and Final Third modules - would training Off the Ball work that well without someone to mark you, or training Decisions or Vision work that well without someone to pass to?

My point being, if the reason for not making tackling, dribbling and crossing individually trainable is that individual training for these attributes isn't particularly viable, there are other attributes which are currently individually trainable which are arguably less viable than the aforementioned 3. Perhaps an individually-trainable Wing Play module (focusing on Crossing, Dribbling, and maybe Decisions) would be a good addition?

I'm less sure where Tackling would fit - but I can see it being quite annoying when you get a great regen whose defensive attributes are all pretty good, except for his tackling, and there's no reliable way of trying to get his tackling close to the level of his other attributes. Likewise, getting an attacking midfield regen with great technicals except for his subpar dribbling will be quite irritating. It was probably slightly too easy on past versions to simply train up one attribute, but the absence of certain attributes in the new model may have gone slightly too far in the opposite direction - though I've only being playing for a couple of hours, so it may end up being less of an issue than I envisage!

Crossing - this is more dead-ball crossing, so Free Kicks and Corners. Crossing is prevalent in quite a few of the actual training sessions, just not on an individual basis. 

Dribbling - dribbling around cones isn't really reflective of actual in-match dribbling and not actually something that is done in reality (or at least to achieve "better" dribbling, it is performed as a touch exercise).

Tackling - this isn't really the lack of another player to tackle but rather that tackling is something of an innate ability and not a skill that is directly improved with individual work. It is more a player's positioning, marking, decision making etc. that is worked on and improved one-on-one.

The individual drills included were settled on following conversations with qualified football coaches of varying levels. There is of course scope to add to or edit these in the future, but we'd need some reasoned arguments and solid examples.

The Final Third focus, as a particular example, is partially designed to reflect the work that Arteta did one-on-one with Sterling and Sane throughout last season to improve this aspect of their game.