[FM19] Gotta scratch that Hitchin

MadCatPT

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I found this. Interesting. I'm also writing a story about my (mis)adventures in Vanarama regional (South in my case). Like you, I'd take 16th happily as I ought to be a relegation candidate. I'm doing a Head Coach challenge whereby my Director of Football handles all transfers and contracts; he's done naff all though so in reality it'll be a Youth Academy challenge instead. I'm monitoring your youth development because the way I see it, their potential is all-but irrelevant when your coaching and facilities are rubbish; if they're any good  I expect bigger clubs to pick them off, so I doubt I'll get anywhere near promotion. I'm shocked to see agents rearing their ugly heads - as I say, in my challenge I'm powerless to affect any of this but I want to see how you deal with it anyway

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Glad I found this. Interesting. I'm also writing a story about my (mis)adventures in Vanarama regional (South in my case). Like you, I'd take 16th happily as I ought to be a relegation candidate. I'm doing a Head Coach challenge whereby my Director of Football handles all transfers and contracts; he's done naff all though so in reality it'll be a Youth Academy challenge instead. I'm monitoring your youth development because the way I see it, their potential is all-but irrelevant when your coaching and facilities are rubbish; if they're any good  I expect bigger clubs to pick them off, so I doubt I'll get anywhere near promotion. I'm shocked to see agents rearing their ugly heads - as I say, in my challenge I'm powerless to affect any of this but I want to see how you deal with it anyway

Head coach challenge is something that appeals to me, I don't have much time to play. Youth challenge is nice that I can forego scouting all together and the youth players keep it challenging and me engaged.

What I have seen is that of the two players that have evolved from youths with potential to top players (relative only to my team unfortunately) had good personalities, all the other even with tons of first team game time don't evolve.

Of the good players I have, poor determination ones very easily have poor training stretches and lose attributes that my facilities and coaches can't get back, so players that are good sometimes start getting not so good. I have been sending poor determination players away if they are not the first team and only backup to the first team.

So far I also have started to only sign youths with at least decent determination and the right attributes and/or good personalities and have been having best training rates at least. That stabilized most of the player, still some players still are normally very poor at training, I suspect low professionalism, so those are targeted to weed out.

Main problem are unevolved youths asking for game time, most of them are shown out the door, cause potential doesn't mean nothing if after 2-3 years you haven't evolved.

My best player, evolved from only training and playing for the U18s, now he even has an agent. He has replaced our goalscorer, that due to injuries, poor training and determination slowly became ineffectual. 

I may write something about my system, but basically is get a good environment so the ones that can evolve are not held back. So Determination and good personalities are most of the times prioritized so I get all the team training to a high level.

Then game time is given to players that have nice determination, personality and potential, if they can perform they will be allowed to evolve in the first team, if not they will play in the U18s.

Players with low determination and/or poor training are only in the starting eleven if they perform.

I target for my youths to evolve physically first, trying to get slow players to be decent or not so slow, etc, then to work the technical/mental part of their games.

--------

That got a bit out of hand, I'll check your story to see a fellow struggler.

Best of luck.

3 hours ago, MadCatPT said:

Of the good players I have, poor determination ones very easily have poor training stretches and lose attributes that my facilities and coaches can't get back, so players that are good sometimes start getting not so good. I have been sending poor determination players away if they are not the first team and only backup to the first team.

All very interesting; this quote above makes me realise just how tricky my challenge is. My squad a sa whole suffers from low determination. As I can't be involved in bringing in or shifting out any players I have to live with it. But what this means is that if kids from my academy intake have better determination, the squad personality will just drag them down! I guess this is what we'd call a 'club culture'. Ouch!

But what I do is try to establish early doors a settled first team squad of 21 (one GK ans 2 outfield palyers for each position) including all the youths I hope are good enough and give them plenty game time, thus mitigating the coaching limitations.

9 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

All very interesting; this quote above makes me realise just how tricky my challenge is. My squad a sa whole suffers from low determination. As I can't be involved in bringing in or shifting out any players I have to live with it. But what this means is that if kids from my academy intake have better determination, the squad personality will just drag them down! I guess this is what we'd call a 'club culture'. Ouch!

But what I do is try to establish early doors a settled first team squad of 21 (one GK ans 2 outfield palyers for each position) including all the youths I hope are good enough and give them plenty game time, thus mitigating the coaching limitations.

Half my training reports are like this now:

Training.thumb.png.70f87fb761c1c498b9c6a63e32bfb789.png

It really helps the development of the players, even if some of them seem to never really develop at least we can maintain most and improve some.

15 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Not having control really sucks, I try to have only the bare minimum, 11 + subs in my first team so the rest can get the full training schedule for the S18s.

It means I run a tight ship and either you are contributing, young enough to be in th S18's without complaining or you are shown the door.

It also helps with finances, already having my first Youth Facilities upgrade (took 4 years, but still) and now saving for the Training Facilities upgrade.

Having made my field the smallest possible has helped a lot.

Home form is good, away is 3rd worst.

Started taking more attention to certain details, tweaked my home tactic and suddenly I'm winning consistently at home, probably just jinx it, but after so many season being closer to the bottom, being closer to a playoff spot than the drop is a nice change.

After starting in a 4-4-2 Direct Counter, changed to a Route One and 3 straight 3 home wins in a 3 home game stretch that included the 2nd placed team that if won could have gone top!

Now comes a 2 game away stretch, can't find an away tactic, the best is counter attacking 4-1-41 DM wide that gets me some draws, maybe I'll try the direct 4-4-2 to see if it works.

On 19/11/2018 at 09:39, coady said:

Just seen this thread as it's fairly local to me, good read so far. How on earth are Hitchin in the Vanarama North? There must be a lot of very southern teams in the Vanarama South! 

Here are there current league tables, with a very in form Hitchin. :)

LeagueNorth.thumb.png.a859619a1bbb000137d43f71baf6202d.png

LeagueSouth.thumb.png.4387f7cd3d496d1843469c0f02802c4d.png

The reason my climb in the table is I got the route one to work and finally got my two best personality strikers working together:

AdieLawrence20g.thumb.png.f44d495f0e5b9c492c275a2d18815e99.png

AndyFrance21d.thumb.png.9e320b4abdcc056c8fcd7ad67a66d7e5.png

I have individually focusing on their physicals, and after some years they are the kind of rounded physical specimens I prefer, when they stop evolving physically or when they reach 20/21 I will start working individually on their technical/mental aspects.

They mostly were 2/3 years in the U18s taking advantage of a full week of work and when they were evolved enough started playing in the main team.

Now they are in form and are lifting us the table, let's see were we can reach.

GK:

GK.thumb.png.6d674d4c18e3b0c596c3b7d2cc590df9.png

Danny O'Hara 22e is the first team keeper since he come in the youth intake, he has some holes but has some nice attributes, like good handling and reflexes and decent rushing out. His determination has come down from 10 which is worrying, being top of the league in saves held and has entered team of the week 3 times this season, if the striker partnership up front has been the main force pushing forward he has guaranteed that the efforts were not in vain.

Andrew McDermott 20o was always a nice player, that evolved well, but the appearance of a keeper with better key attributes and better potential meant he has possible very little chance of playing until being released. Finances to get our facilities better are our main priority now, so will try to just pay the first team players and the key youths that are developing well.

Charles Cotton 23c and Kabiru Godwin 22d have low handling so will always be backups, unless some unexpected development.

Defense:

D.thumb.png.56d01206d9167802207d9f7736a67aab.png

On the right side after improving a bit each year Andrew White 22b has stopped being a liability on a regular basis, Sam Peck 20c will be released, Tommy Cantwell 24m will be the youth/backup. I will take a risk to get a determined squad.

The left side belongs to Cameron Mann 19a, Luke Hyem21a will stay if he doesn't ask for too much, he is improving but his lack of ambition is probably slowing him down.

The center of defense has an abundance of options, Neil Dejyothin 20l and Dean Martin 23f are the first teamers and the strong and tall guys, Harrison Blackmore 22c and Charlie Laing 20i are decent backups but vulnerable in the air I will try to keep them if they don't ask for much. Oliver Ruffles 24h will be signed to see if he can develop, his is too slow, but hopefully he can get to a decent acceleration/speed level. Asa Howard 21i will be let go.

Midfield:

M.thumb.png.dad690c4319136ac7de429680506f761.png

On the right Zac Kennedy 21c started as the first team but lost the place to Danny Allinson 20a who has better physical skills to be a winger. Paul Hodgson 21e has even better physicals, worse technicals but a flaw that he is very weak. All three are expected to stay since none of the youth intake has any chance to develop into a decent winger.

On the left Jack Green is the only real option, a speed demon that can cross a bit and nothing more, Ted Turner 23j is a really bad player and was a liability when asked to play so will be let go and Cameron Mann 19a will be the backup.

On the middle, Charlie Smith the BBM, was for several years the star of the team, this year his performance took a big hit, he has a high salary and I have now Newman Fenn 20h ready to take over, he may have some holes in his game yet, but is a better passer and creator than Smith who is a better at tackling and dribbling, so will probably let Smith go at the end of the season if he doesn't accept a pay cut.

To take over current starter Newman Fenn 20h at BWM, Mike Douglas 24b is already the better option and the driven Haydn Smith 23i give some nice options.

This season a lot of players are gonna be let go. Isaac Galliford is the current captain, but as Smith, his lack of determination and poor training performances have made him a worse player, since his physicals were not that great to start with he is a liability in the middle. Tommy Ottley 20n didn't develop, wants money and first team football, with youth player appearing with better potential and development he will not be missed, Massimo Bowyer 22i will stay if Smith goes, if not will also be let go.

Attack:

A.thumb.png.aaacac43b642ea312e17164ac5c626d7.png

Adie Lawrence 20g was finally signed, but next season maybe we will not be able to re-signed him since his agent is... and agent. He is my only pure AF.

Andy France 21d is my TM, Tom Boughton 20e is his backup.

The youth is a strange mix, Deakin Blackmore 24a is a small TM, he has some nice attributes but is slow, Charlie Sturmey 24f is a perfect PF, Eugene Hayford 24g is a SS, a speedy guy that lacks the finishing. Hopefully from one of these 3 I can make a decent AF to replace Adie in the future or until a better youth comes along.

Scott Belgrove has performed poorly after him and his agent cashing in so he will be let go.

Could we get a chance at promotion this year?

22GoAll.thumb.png.ab7d3f5726f2d6b33fcd10bb00d4243c.png

22GoHome.thumb.png.9da67663320f4c5b404c8a4eb9b8c9bb.png

22GoAway.thumb.png.675413d6483f7d0a896fc64ee2331f35.png

This year the change to a minimum size stadium, finally getting a tactic that fit my players really made a difference, even if out of my home I struggle to get points it may be enough to get to the playoffs were I just need to be better/luckier in some games.

According to the reporters my team score a lot in the late part of the half's, made me proud of all the work I have made with the squad:

22GoFight.png.7b65c66e729089f110fcca06d94c36b8.png

Natural born killers:

PSMG.thumb.png.6608c208d24c795b42c31f3991f49d68.png

Can't believe we are going to the final.

The assistant manager deserves recognition, his suggestion to play through the middle really made the difference in the season, and his proposed changes for both playoff games were spot on.

Don't know if it will be a huge party or a major heartbreak, but it has been one heck of a season.

When both teams are tired my team higher determination seems to kick in and we fight like Lions, and no I'm not teary eyed, I'm just sweating, yes, only in the eyes.

It's showtime lads, we drew at home and lost away to them, but both games we're close, we have show we can be competitive against them! Just one more game, one more effort and we will reach new highs!!! We want it more than them, we are hungry, we were marked again to finish bottom and here we are fighting for promotion!!! You can ignore pain but no one can ignore Hitchin!!!

PF.thumb.png.94b6ebbe6862479f9e344796ee1978a9.png

6 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Well done Mad Cat.

Thanks.

It was unexpected but surely welcome. Now another step in the ladder, let's see how long we take to climb it.

Really cleaned house, now only 1 non youth in my team, big bet on the new youngster for midfield let's see if I can stay up.

Archived