Formation/Tactical Ideas for Bayern Munich

I am looking for ideas of how they play that I can incorporate into FM. I know they usually play a high line and try to win the ball back quickly with heavy possession, but that’s all I can think of. Ideas are welcome!

10 minutes ago, herne79 said:

If you mean for FM19 there may be something new in the game which may help give you an idea or two.

Thanks @herne79 I am referencing FM19 and had a chance to play with the tactic creator.  I like certain aspects of the "retain possession" pre-set tactic but am looking for ideas that cater specifically to Bayern.  Was hoping to get some more ideas of how Bayern plays in real life, especially considering width, when/how to counter, set up defensively, etc. since there's so much more to the tactical equation this year.

I'm just funning you, no offence intended :).

Start with the tactical presets, don't change anything.  Consider gegenpress, vertical tiki taka, control possession.  See how you get on, perhaps they'll give you some ideas if they don't meet your exact requirements.

11 minutes ago, herne79 said:

1.jpg

haha thanks for the suggestions,  i dont get to watch too many bayern games so any player-specific ideas are welcome, looking forward to giving this a go.  so far i think i want to mix control possession and gegenpress styles

Bayern strike me as a team that dont really play extremes... They play out from the back, keep the ball well in midfield, and have a very good attacking trio, but attack with a reasonable amount of patience. When ribery and robben play they hold their width (tho not talking hugging line extreme) until they get the ball at which point they cut in. When muller plays outwide hes naturally a bit more central.

The vertical tiki taka 4141 preset is a very good starting point for their style. Id probably change the striker role from dlf to cf to accomodate lewandowskis more rounded game... And maybe tinker the rga, bbm, mez trio.... Maybe use thiago as a playmaker in the central 2 and a standard dm instead of reg... Goretzka can play mez or bbm (or you have massive budget so you can spend big on another cm)

6 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Bayern strike me as a team that dont really play extremes... They play out from the back, keep the ball well in midfield, and have a very good attacking trio, but attack with a reasonable amount of patience. When ribery and robben play they hold their width (tho not talking hugging line extreme) until they get the ball at which point they cut in. When muller plays outwide hes naturally a bit more central.

The vertical tiki taka 4141 preset is a very good starting point for their style. Id probably change the striker role from dlf to cf to accomodate lewandowskis more rounded game... And maybe tinker the rga, bbm, mez trio.... Maybe use thiago as a playmaker in the central 2 and a standard dm instead of reg... Goretzka can play mez or bbm (or you have massive budget so you can spend big on another cm)

Great, ill give that a go, much appreciated! i was thinking more patientt as well... might use some pre-sets as far as defensive alignment and other new features go until I get a better feel for the game.

From their strenghts in the game they can play pretty much anything you want. Pressing. Possession. Counter. Anything. But I would use wingers at least either AMR/L or ML/R as they have several good ones. A bit limited on the striker front so a 2 striker formation is probably not the best idea unless you do some transfers. 

13 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

Would you play with IWs in MR/ML position instead of AMR/ML adding take more risks ,cross less often as PIs ?

Depends what you do in the market... But first season id be going with inside forwards, theres no blistering pace with ageing ribery and robben... And lewandowski/muller arent quick either...so id want to cover more of the pitch with my shape, rather than lots of space to run into. Thiago, goretzka and vidal all capable of progressing forward to link with the attack. 

Im not a massive fan of lopsided aysmetry... But potentially robben maxing out his dribbling as an iw-a on the right... With ribery an if-s on the left. 

As the guys have been saying tho, this is a new world, everything has been tweaked so what an IF or IW did in fm18 may be substantially or subtly different in fm19. Got to tinker around (especially during the beta) 

Archived