Salop [FM19 Touch] - Opinions Appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm sure people have perhaps done similar saves many times before, but I'm starting my FMT19 journey with the team I support, Shrewsbury Town and I wanted to play in a way I haven't previously - with a limited squad and no new signings - for a reason...

I've been playing CM/FM for frankly far too long now, since CM3 days (and my free time is rather more scarce now than it used to be, hence why I'm playing the Touch version of the game rather than full fat!). Now, I'm sure that some people are aware of the tremendous season Shrewsbury Town had last year, followed by the abysmal summer spent dismantling the team, selling key assets and losing our management, coaching and physio team (with the exception of our GK Coach, thanks Dave!) and currently we're generally making a bit of a ham-fisted attempt at competing in League One this year. As a result of all this, I was determined to take over with exactly the same assets available to Mr Askey IRL, with no additions to the playing staff or coaching team purely to see if we are genuinely as bad as we're appearing to be IRL or if we can be more successful on FM with the squad at our disposal (for reference, currently IRL we're 18th in League One with just three wins to our name so far this season, and I'm convinced we should be at least upper mid-table).

Here's the thing though - obviously as time passes, players will leave through sales or contract expiry - when they do, I'm looking to replace them only with current youth team prospects or future youth intakes as the seasons pass (bear in mind that Salop isn't exactly known for its youth development nor is it a footballing hotbed!). Already we've had a wee bit of a crisis in that my only senior left back has broken his leg and is out for 8-10 months - step in 17 year old Welsh Under 19 player Rhys Davies (who's not doing terribly but I wouldn't say he's tearing up any trees either - and we're on game 18 at present, so he's got a LOT of the season still to play!). Now, if a situation arises whereby I have no youth prospects can step in for a particular position, would you say I'm allowed to bring in players on loan (either from an affiliated club or generally) or should I be 100% strict with my decided limits and rules and only change the formation round to fit the players I DO have available within my squad and youth setup?

Would appreciate any input you folks can give! :)

Hello and welcome.

You are effectively joining the ranks of a sub-cult who habitually play the game this way. Indeed there are whole threads dedicated to the strategy that I'll link to below. It's called the 'Academy Challenge' where the rule is you can never bring in (buy or loan) a player and utilise only the youths who come up through your academy on youth intake day. In the scenario you outline at the end, you have to play players out of position.

I'm extra masochistic in that I start with a squad of c 20 15-16 year olds, BUT to compensate, my team starts at the lowest level of an edited file - level 10 or even 22. In your case, with an academy challenge you might well struggle against your league opponents. Now how much struggle and failure you can tolerate without getting down or giving up only you can answer - remember that in a solo game the rules you set yourself are purely up to you. 

Anyway, enjoy reading the experiences of fellow hopeless failures like me!

FM19 Youth Academy Challenge

In this one you take a team promoted into  National North/South.

Massive fail!!!

This YouTube career lasted 3.5 videos before he got sacked. You might be interested in his method: he hires a useless Director of Football who does make signings, but mostly ones you wouldn't dream of!

That's a helluva challenge to do on the game's Classic mode, as Youth recruitment is a lot harder in that mode, in that you can't ask the board to upgrade the facilities and youth intakes tend to be a lot smaller (and all at the end of a season). I like hearing people try stuff like this though, I've just been sacked half a season into my Beta FMT save with Stirling - first time the team I support have ever sacked me in ANY FM, so this could be a good idea for a new FMT save. 

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

remember that in a solo game the rules you set yourself are purely up to you.

I guess so yes! I know that people have played Academy games for a long time previously, I've been lurking on these boards (and dugout.tv beforehand - RIP) for far too long - I just know that by the traditional rules of that challenge, you take a previously unplayable team at the lowest possible level (or some people who want less of a challenge take over sides who already have good academy setups. My concern is I am in League One (so not a blank slate, whilst my board is pretty chill in comparison to some, there are some expectations), and we do not have a good academy set up. My main concern as you'll see below, is that I have 14 members of my first team squad out of contract this summer, and my reserves is currently not in any state to cover positions (as you see, we only have GK DC, DR, MC and SC covered) - I'm just hoping that when next years youth intake comes through, there's a bit of positional variety!

20181026125449_1.jpg

I've never touched Touch - do you get an in-game editor with the full version? What I'd be tempted to do is use the 'cheat' to make yourself unsackable and accept a likely relegation or two and take your time to build the squad in your own way. If that's still too tough you could set yourself a rule that you can bring in unattached 16 year-olds or something like that.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've never touched Touch - do you get an in-game editor with the full version? What I'd be tempted to do is use the 'cheat' to make yourself unsackable and accept a likely relegation or two and take your time to build the squad in your own way. If that's still too tough you could set yourself a rule that you can bring in unattached 16 year-olds or something like that.

I've brought in two loanees until the end of my first season (I've justified it as they're in positions I have no youth prospects, but I started the game with some loans already there - I'll be more strict from the summer) but we're doing okay at present - it's Feb 1st and though form has dived since Christmas, we still find ourselves in 3rd place. Given the target was mid-table, I'm happy with that!

Touch is great if you want to play more casually - or if like me you want to play more like the older games and just don't have the time to sink into full fat FM. I have to be honest, I don't know about an in-game editor as I've never used an editor (I'd consider that cheating) and likewise, I don't use the 'unlockables' found in the store (even if unlocked through gameplay rather than purchase) for the same reason.

On the whole I find Touch is a slimmed down, less bloated version of FM and that comes with both pros and cons. Obviously there's less you have in terms of influence over your squad but equally there's less to screw up too! It's a lot more accessible and easier to pick up and play, and the game processing is much faster too. The only thing I really find myself missing is half time team talks and the motivational talks you can have with the squads in full fat FM. It's obviously rather a lot harder to turn things round if you're losing at half time and can't say anything to your players!

34 minutes ago, kitcub said:

I've brought in two loanees until the end of my first season (I've justified it as they're in positions I have no youth prospects, but I started the game with some loans already there - I'll be more strict from the summer) but we're doing okay at present - it's Feb 1st and though form has dived since Christmas, we still find ourselves in 3rd place. Given the target was mid-table, I'm happy with that!

Touch is great if you want to play more casually - or if like me you want to play more like the older games and just don't have the time to sink into full fat FM. I have to be honest, I don't know about an in-game editor as I've never used an editor (I'd consider that cheating) and likewise, I don't use the 'unlockables' found in the store (even if unlocked through gameplay rather than purchase) for the same reason.

On the whole I find Touch is a slimmed down, less bloated version of FM and that comes with both pros and cons. Obviously there's less you have in terms of influence over your squad but equally there's less to screw up too! It's a lot more accessible and easier to pick up and play, and the game processing is much faster too. The only thing I really find myself missing is half time team talks and the motivational talks you can have with the squads in full fat FM. It's obviously rather a lot harder to turn things round if you're losing at half time and can't say anything to your players!

Completley agree on the team talks! The one feature i miss from full fm.id be happy if there was just a general talk to the squad as a whole,instead of the additional defense/midfield/attack options you get on full fm,without talks and shouts,i feel like i have no influence during games

Well...

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in an update, but my first season is over - with some surprising results! (Genuinely, I'm gobsmacked). 

I had no expectation to even get close to promotion - so now I'm not entirely sure what we'll do over the summer! Annoyingly I've been given a transfer kitty of over £3m (mostly inflated due to January player sales) which I won't be able to use, but hey I guess at least it's helping establish a safe financial footing for the club's future! :lol:

20181027103605_1.jpg

20181027103144_1.jpg

20181027103325_1.jpg

20181027103749_1.jpg

20 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Well that's good. Now you can be really strict with your rules, knowing that you'll prolly do better than you expect.

That's the plan! :)

1 hour ago, kitcub said:

Well...

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in an update, but my first season is over - with some surprising results! (Genuinely, I'm gobsmacked). 

I had no expectation to even get close to promotion - so now I'm not entirely sure what we'll do over the summer! Annoyingly I've been given a transfer kitty of over £3m (mostly inflated due to January player sales) which I won't be able to use, but hey I guess at least it's helping establish a safe financial footing for the club's future! :lol:

20181027103605_1.jpg

20181027103144_1.jpg

20181027103325_1.jpg

20181027103749_1.jpg

How did you get rid of the purple awful and insane background ?  Is the Dark scheme present also in FMT ?  

If I think about Miles stating that it took a month to decide the purple instead of fixing injuries......ok I will wait for the final release to come back playing 

On 27/10/2018 at 12:20, Boomer Ang said:

How did you get rid of the purple awful and insane background ?  Is the Dark scheme present also in FMT ?

Yes there are four on the Beta: FMT Dark, FMT Retro, and touchscreen versions of these too. The one in my screenshots is FMT Retro

• Administrators
On 26/10/2018 at 09:17, Dagenham_Dave said:

That's a helluva challenge to do on the game's Classic mode, as Youth recruitment is a lot harder in that mode, in that you can't ask the board to upgrade the facilities and youth intakes tend to be a lot smaller (and all at the end of a season). I like hearing people try stuff like this though, I've just been sacked half a season into my Beta FMT save with Stirling - first time the team I support have ever sacked me in ANY FM, so this could be a good idea for a new FMT save. 

In my 20 season save with KR in Iceland I've gotten the youth facilities up to excellent: 

image.thumb.png.c9d51166d8d865188116a9303ba8c425.png

Had a couple of good players come through the academy but I couldn't play just that way: 

image.thumb.png.55a982007e4a7866c834b7da76cc64c8.png

image.thumb.png.de357680b6b8eaa7410b08619ebdba75.png

185 goals in 229 career games for Jonas. 

And another who has since retired (got to club icon status) 

image.thumb.png.f718b9efa75b5791bdfe862f236868aa.png

image.thumb.png.5da5905586a7514da61b23d4f50abcc2.png

Shame the stats only show the league games really. 36 goals in 289 appearances over his career.

Most of the Icelandic talent I did develop I pillaged from other teams in the league. I think it would be next to impossible to replicate the kinds of success I've had in this save, but the youth I have coming through now are more than good enough for the league if I develop them, just not Europe.

Pretty much achieved everything I wanted in this save (just getting to 20 seasons, and winning the CL once).

Never been sacked but a couple of seasons early on were difficult, a couple of losses in this league can really hurt.

• Administrators
Just now, kitcub said:

Aha! Yes I saw your points haul on the leaderboard - I gather from the vast amount of them that game's been going on for some time! :D

Only since the beta come out :D 70% of achievements got as well at this point which isn't bad.

Just wanted to get the design a son and son generated unlockables before main release, which I got last night at 2AM :cool:

Only ones left are job applications & no work permits, but I'd probably need to start new saves to get those and not really fussed about them for my saves.

:hammer:

Archived