FM 09 : Luton Town

I'm just starting my second season. Kept us up in the first with 43 points and finished 20th so I did quite well. I released McVeigh, O'Connor, Andrews, Davis and Parkin(got injured for 6 months so couldn;t be sold!) All of them are useless and on quite high wages. I brought in on free transfers, Stuart Fleetwood (16 goals) Carl Cort (useless, stats start to decline) Hector Bracamonte (bargain and is to good for League 2). Loans are difficult as Martin, Logan and Spillane take up 3 of the 4 places. I filled my spare long term loan space with Jay Simpson. Then for the first 3 months I used Collison from West Ham, then Upson from Ipswich and for the final 3 months Trotter from Ipswich. I also brought in Paul Telfer who is good cover. Then when I had a few injuries I loaned Keates from Peterborough and Hawkins from Brighton. Bargain of the season was Peter Gilbert from Sheff Wed antoher free transfer. I had 50K to spend in January (budjet adjustment) and brought in an Irish player called Lapira from some team in Norway.

Second season I have renewed Matthew Springs contract on a lower wage. I had to sell Pilkington and Bracamonte to get wages down a bit. I've loaned Rhodes and Upson from Ipswich and Lansbury from Arsenal. James Sinclair from Bolton has also come in on loan. Then i've signed David Gray and Alan Bennett on frees. I'm aiming for promotion.

It looks like a good list and I will try them out, but I also wonder how you got rid of all the players?

I have just started a new game after the new patch and only McVeig is wanted by another club.

Another thing I have noticed is that it's almost impossible to get premier league club players on loan, like Craddock.

Has anyone solved this, how to get the good PL reserves on loan?

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year, all of you.

cardiff and derby expressed interest via media and offered them out at 1mill over 24mths thats what there offers came back as so bit their hands off

a lot of hunting to find players who want to come ...= a lot of rejections but squads in league are poor so most players are improvement also brazil and argentina loaded to get cheap EU south americans were possible

• 3 weeks later...

I really interested in this 9.2

Ill tell you someone with pace is Juho Makela off Hearts got him for 5k after getting 40k of Parkins 200k acceleration a pace 16 finishin 12 which is good

Got Fleetwood with average stats but Tininho looks special at lb and so does Anthony Basso the goalkeeper off Hearts, loaned in Duran off Liverpool and playing O'Connor off the reserves can do a job.

Sold Parkin for 200k to Cardiff(I would have rejected if if any other clubs came calling why do Cardiff need him????)

Offered Termination to McVeigh a Sol Davies, Davies might have been a mistake, they rejected and probably hate him trying to get on the good side of Davis.

Wondering shoud I get Carl Cort acceleration 10 finishing 12 a Heading 16 and 30 is temptig at 1k a week

Just started this challenge and after a pre-season to forget including a 6-0 and 6-1 defeat to Man City and Fulham respectively and unconvinving draws to Swansea and Eastbourne Boro, the season began.

I did manage to get the mighty Gooners as a parent club and they kindly sent me Rhys Murphy on loan.

League

August Played 4 Won 3 Drawn 1 (no manager of the month)

1st game away at Rochdale unconvincing 2-1 win and its -27 pts (Rhys Murphy, V Rennella)

2nd game away at Exeter and a scrappy 1 all draw -26 pts (10 men and Merida with the equaliser)

3rd game Home to Accrington a nice 3-1 win (Murphy, Rennella, Fernandez) -23pts

4th game Home to Grimsby a lucky 2-1 win (Murphy & Fernandez) -20pts

September Played 4 Won 3 Lost 1

5th game Home to Bury 1-0 win (Fernandez) -17pts

6th game Away to Macclesfield 2-0 win (Fernandez x2) -14pts

7th game Home to Barnet 2-1 win (Fernandez x2) -11pts

8th game Away to Darlington 2-1 loss (Fernandez)(man sent off 11th min) -11pts

October Played 6 Won 4 1 Draw (manager of the Month)

9th game Home to Bournemouth 3-1 win (Fernandez x3) -8pts (2nd from bottom)

10th game Away to Gillingham 1-0 win (Fernandez) -5pts

11th game Home to Rotherham 3-2 win (Balde x2, Jarvis) -2pts

12th game Away to Shrewsbury 2-2 draw (Parkin, Sears) -1pt

13th game Home to Chesterfield 2-0 win (Assoumani, Hewson) 2pts

14th game Away to Port Vale 2-0 win (Zerara, Murphy) 5pts

November Played 4 Won 4 (manager of the Month)

15th game Home to Wycombe 2-0 win (O.G, Fernandez) 8pts

16th game Away to Aldershot 2-0 win (Murphy x2) 11pts

17th game Home to Chester 3-0 win (Rennella, Murphy x2) 14pts

18th game Home to Bradford 1-0 win (Fernandez) 17pts

December Played

19th game Away to Brentford 2-0 win (Rennella, Nicholls) 20pts 18th place

League Cup

Over before it began a 3-0 defeat to Coventry (in was only 2-0 in pre-season)

FA Cup

1st Round Home to Eastbourne Boro 2-0 win (Bedrossian, Fernandez)

2nd Round Away to Brentford 1-1 draw (Rennella)

2nd Round Replay Home to Brentford 2-1 win (Sears, Hewson)

JP Trophy

1st Round Home to Bournmouth 2-0 win (Parkin, Zerara)

2nd Round Home to MK Dons 1-0 win (Murphy)

Quarter Final Away to Leicester 3-2 win (Bedrossian, Murphy, Fernandez)

In the Transfer window I have Robbie Fowler, Nicolas Olivera, and Miguel Rebosio coming.

Will keep you updated on progress.

• 2 months later...

Currently in my 4th season. We are 2nd in the Championship and looking good. However many of my top players are unhappy and would like to play for a bigger club. I believe my best player, a central midfield regen, will be sold over my head in the upcoming January window :(.

By the way, news reports that a mysterious foriegn tycoon wants to buy the club and will be investing the stadium and money for transfers finally! Unfortunately a few weeks later, another group bought the club and was thinking of getting rid of me!! Imagine the high and low that I went through lol! The new owner, due to support, decided to keep me. At least he invested in the training grounds. We really need some more seats though.

• 4 weeks later...

My squad are plagued with injuries and I can just about field a team. As absolutely nobody wants to come and play for me I don't know any other good squad players to get on a free.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

finally finished my 1st season as luton =D got promoted finished 2nd and had a 46 game unbeaten streak in the league =D

also won the JPT, lost in 3rd round of FA cup to west ham, and lost in 4th round of league cup to aston villa ><

transfers:

lutonseason1transfers.jpg

end of season table:

lutonseason1table.jpg

and i seriously don't recommend getting: mikitow, toscano, elliot smith or junegard as they are a waste if time!!!

i decided to be Luton as i fancied a bit of a challenge. But after reading some of the posts above i am in total agreement about the number of injuries they get. I have had 7 matches this year and have had 9 injured players so far.

I need some suggestions for loanees (not under 24 cause i have used all them up) or free transfers? I know there are some suggestions in the above posts but when i search for these players no results are found!

so bascially suggestions on players to get with a transfer budget of £0.

Thanks!

I've just started as luton and my only goalkeeper in D.Brill, Need a keeper urgently, also need a dc.

I asked for a parent club and my chairman responded by saying that he see's no point in creating any links at this time (obviously a parent club will help me to avoid relegation and give me some extra money in the bank)

Also my bank balance is £1.07M so why won't the chairman give me £100,000 for transfers??

I've just started as luton and my only goalkeeper in D.Brill, Need a keeper urgently, also need a dc.

I asked for a parent club and my chairman responded by saying that he see's no point in creating any links at this time (obviously a parent club will help me to avoid relegation and give me some extra money in the bank)

Also my bank balance is £1.07M so why won't the chairman give me £100,000 for transfers??

try west ham's marek stech on loan or arsenal's polish one in the reserves for your goalkeeper problem

erm.. defender's wise try loaning liverpool's ronald huth as he is a solid defender or try signing a brazlian centre back called zanol!

i decided to be Luton as i fancied a bit of a challenge. But after reading some of the posts above i am in total agreement about the number of injuries they get. I have had 7 matches this year and have had 9 injured players so far.

I need some suggestions for loanees (not under 24 cause i have used all them up) or free transfers? I know there are some suggestions in the above posts but when i search for these players no results are found!

so bascially suggestions on players to get with a transfer budget of £0.

Thanks!

just try doing 3 month loans with the players as there is no limit on short term loans!!

scott1228, I started a new Luton game last week and in terms of keepers I got Chris Neal on a free from Preston who is good for L2. In January I managed to get John Ruddy in on a free who is a fantastic keeper for League 2 so keep an eye out to see if he gets transfer listed.

In terms of a centre back James Chester from Man U or Carl Magnay from Chelsea will be good.

3rd season, look for Alassane N'Dour on a free. He can play CM,DM,LM & LB and is a great all round player. Peter Gilbert from Sheff Wed might be worth getting, they'll let him go for 0. Other 2 freebies I got who were good in League 2 and are good back up for me in League One are Seyfo Soley & Patrick Noubissie.

Load Peruvian players and sign Delgado on a free. He is injured at the start of the game, you'll need to either perfectly time the offer of your contract or sack the physios on mutual termination. Either way he gets a W/P and arrives on 1.1.09 when his contract expires. He may possibly be the best free transfer GK going for a League 2 club.

• 2 weeks later...

just an update on my luton save =] currently nearing the end of season 2!

Summary:

League: league 1 champions =D

FA cup: lost in 3rd round to Aston Villa 2-1

League cup: lost in the second round to Aston Villa 4-2

JPT: about to play in the final against blackpool =D EDIT: just won the cup 2-1 with canizalez scoring a late winner =D

there seems to be a recurring theme in my game when it comes to FA and league cup as this is the 3rd or 4th time i've faced villa in 2 seasons and each time them beat me =(

Transfers:

lutonseason2.jpg

League Table:

lutonseason2table.jpg

Notable players that were brought in were:

Gunnarsson

Cresswell ( 34 goals in 46 appearences so far!!)

Lansbury

Karypidis

Jourdren (amazing keeper)

Calleja

Just taking this on as a sideline to my Empoli career.

Signed DC Jim Ablancourt and AML Eric Farro from Tampon, GK Rudi Pounonussamy from Capriconne, AMC Jean-Phillipe Javary from Avirons, DC Bruno N'Gotty from Leicester and DM/MC Ruben Palazuelos from Hearts. All on free's.

GK Gunnar Nielsen and ST Freddie Sears have come in on loan from Blackburn and West Ham (my parent club) respectively.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just starting a game as them. Hoping to be long term manager and take them back up the leagues. This place doesn't look too busy though. Anyone got a game on the go?

I have, haven't played it for two weeks though. I'm in the 3rd season and have managed to get us up to the Championship, haven't lost a league game yet!

Any player advice i'll be happy to help :thup:

Nice!

I have played 3 league games with 1 win 2 draws so far. Hoping just to survive this season then push on in the next few. Any free/loan signings you would recommend?

I've managed to become a feeder team for Arsenal so that should help out over the seasons.

Players IN so far:

Seyfo Soley (free)

Henri Lansbury (loan)

Zoltan Harsanyi (loan)

Inigo Idiakez (free)

Hopefully Idiakez and Soley will bring some experience and quality to the side. Also Lansbury and Harsanyi should bring some flair and get a few goals each.

Mid November and i'm 13 points from safety. Should be able to make that up and stay in League 2 this season!

I used both Soley & Lansbury in my first season as well.

For loan players two that I really would recomend are James Sinclair from Bolton & James Chester from Man Utd. Don't know whether they'll of found clubs if your in November though. I also loaned Grant Basey from Charlton, Robin Shroot from Birmingham & Carl Magnay from Chelsea. Most of my loans were short term as there is obviously the 4 long term loan limit.

Free transfers I got Patrick Noubissie & Stefan Milojevic in who are both useful. My best free signing was Alassane N'Dour who is a quality player in League two. If he hasn't already been signed up i'd reccomend getting him in.

Right, well as soon as i'd got my team to safety i went on holiday. Don't see the fun in playing when there is nothing to win. So basically i'm just waiting for next season and i'll look to challenge for the title. Hopefully Arsenal will be more willing to loan their young stars to me.

Ok i will check him out. Returned from my holiday with a few games left and seems the assistant is horrible. We are only 3 points from relegation! So after i took over i won the rest of the games.

I've offered £0 for a lot of league 1 teams players and i seem to be getting a lot of offers accepted.

So far i think i have managed to get Enoch Shownumi, Levi Porter and Paul Terry.

What kind of budget have you got astrial?

A couple of my players were picked up on free transfers in my second season so I don't know whether you'll be able to get them or not. My big money buy was Neil Eardley for 500K. At left back i've got a French guy called Claude Dielna who you could probably get for around 30K if he is still at his original club. Juan Jose Collantes I got in my League 1 season for a small fee and he seems to be playing quite well in the Championship.

I managed to get Rudi Skacel on a free from Southampton & Adrian Mariappa on a free from Watford but in your game they may of already signed new contracts at their clubs so would prove hard to get.

I managed to sign loads of free players! Top quality ones at that. However my wage budget has taken a battering because of it. Now trying to offload a few older players to get that down.

So far IN:

Enoch Shownumi

Dan Harding

Levi Porter

Peter Sweeney

Paul Terry

Francisco Duran

John Welsh

Vincent Pericard

Will Atkinson

Peter Clarke

Andy Holdsworth

All of the above are free transfers. Should compete for the title this season definately.

You should be ok with Brill if you have good defenders however it might be worth you looking at some Premiership reserve team keepers on loan if you haven't already. John Ruddy at Everton was who I signed in my game.

What kind of budget have you got astrial?

A couple of my players were picked up on free transfers in my second season so I don't know whether you'll be able to get them or not. My big money buy was Neil Eardley for 500K. At left back i've got a French guy called Claude Dielna who you could probably get for around 30K if he is still at his original club. Juan Jose Collantes I got in my League 1 season for a small fee and he seems to be playing quite well in the Championship.

I managed to get Rudi Skacel on a free from Southampton & Adrian Mariappa on a free from Watford but in your game they may of already signed new contracts at their clubs so would prove hard to get.

well as usual i have a budget of nothing for the 3rd straight season!!! (this is on the original patch btw, 1st game i started xD)

samuels if you have the money for a keeper, try and see if you can sign jourdren should cost at most 100k! he's good enough for all leagues and even good enough for some mid to lower premier division sides!! i bought him on my save and after 1 season chelsea and Ac milan were after him!!

I have no money :(

Brill and Schnezny will be fine this season but next season i will definately be looking elsewhere.

Was topping the table at the start of January however i've now dropped to 4th!

Shownumi, Lansbury and Parkin all got injured and no-one could score for me. Now they are back i'm looking to head back up the table!

Finished 3rd at the end of the season. Shownumi managed 30 goals which i thought was quite impressive! In a bit of debt so who knows if i'll get any money next season.

Again i have looked for free transfers and again i have struck gold. Got some phenomenal players in for league one:

IN:

Calum Davenport

Clarke Carlisle

Paul Heffernan

Craig Beattie

Mark Yeates

Janos Balogh

Mark Brown

Henri Lansbury (loan again)

Hopefully getting James Dunne on loan and Martin Fulop on a free.

Those players were enough to get me to playoffs, won on pennos in the final!

Shownumi bagged 25 goals, Beattie got 11, Heffernan got 17 and Yeates got 13 which is excellent for a winger in my opinion. Also the majority of the defenders and attackers will be good enough for the championship and also more of Arsenal's youngsters will be willing to join me on loan. Getting them as a parent club has been one of my best moves.

This seasons signings:

Jobi McAnuff

Stephen Quinn

Andranik

Billy Sharp

Stephen Elliot

Kevin McNaughton

Kerrea Gilbert

Simon Lappin

Mark Hudson

Julian Bennet

Kasper Schemiechel (sp.)

Leon Britton

Kieth Fahey

Stephen McPhail

Jimmy Smith

Peter Ramage

Tommy Spurr

I'm sure there is more and ill add them when i remember.

All for 0. Could be the greatest team never to have spent any money!

The only problem is i have gone over on my wages by £20k so trying to sell all the deadwood.

Archived