Retain possession- is it gone now? Please help

Removing retain possession is completely stupid. If we can tell all our players to take more risks with the pass into space TI, why can't we do the opposite. 

It could be that "extremely short" passing TI has replaced it but it's not clear at all.

32 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

Removing retain possession is completely stupid. If we can tell all our players to take more risks with the pass into space TI, why can't we do the opposite. 

It could be that "extremely short" passing TI has replaced it but it's not clear at all.

try this :

extremely short + counter attacking mentality + time wasting + extremely low tempo

i get 70~80 % possession for 2 consecutive games.

but can score or not that was another story

3 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

I'm dloading the game now so I haven't seen everything yet, but if I correctly recall seeing the "control" mentality now being removed and now along with retain possession, that certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to me not having a clear mental instruction to try and control the game.

Risky passes for me could come into two brackets, risky in aiming to retain possession, and risky in trying to open up the defensive team. With neither option available, their is no mental mindset to try and keep the ball.

I hope I'm missing something and there is an option that allows this mindset. I wouldn't class cautious as the new option, simply because it'll then be possession with no forward impetus. 

Control mentality is renamed to Positive. Counter mentality is renamed to Cautious. So now they go like this:

Very Defensive - Defensive - Cautious - Balanced - Positive - Attacking - Very Attacking

Which makes more sense actually.

"Control Possession" is now preset tactical style of play you can choose.

I don't understand why you would associate short passing with retain possession.

For me, sometimes I like to retain possession at the back, and suddenly do a long ball to the wings/forwards.  a bit like Conte's 3-5-2 Juventus system with Pirlo.

Now how would i do that now?

6 hours ago, Empzephyr said:

I don't understand why you would associate short passing with retain possession.

For me, sometimes I like to retain possession at the back, and suddenly do a long ball to the wings/forwards.  a bit like Conte's 3-5-2 Juventus system with Pirlo.

Now how would i do that now?

This is similar to the point I was trying to get across, as this is also what I was hoping to achieve where I would like a Pirlo in an instant, to be very open to switching the play to the other flank, but a ball that would be played to retain possession and change the direction of attack rather than a risky through-ball that would gift possession away. That's where I thought the risk element of passing would come into play, but is why I also would think the retain possession option should have remained.

Attacking is a "positive" mentality, as is very attacking. Like defensive and very defensive is negative. I don't get why the term positive has been used. Control made much more sense to me, and this would imply you would be looking to maintain possession/control of the football.

With that said, the description of the positive mentality as above does describe a control mentality. And I think where it indicates the mentality will aim to move the ball around the park, that's probably the best way in going about to achieve what we're both trying to do.

I've had a chance to play a season with it, and it does give that feel of what I'm trying to do. But for it to freely work, a player with the preferred player instruction of switching the play would be ideal.

24 minutes ago, BJT said:

That's where I thought the risk element of passing would come into play, but is why I also would think the retain possession option should have remained.

This is where defend or cautious Mentality would come in, if you're not looking to take risks.

Retain possession didnt make a lot of sense as a toggle on/off... In same way team shape was a 'gamey modifier'... You could select high tempo and direct passing but select retain possession to modify them. Now it seems like you need to use proper instructions to retain possession... Rather than a mumbo jumbo of contradictory instructions. 

8 hours ago, Empzephyr said:

don't understand why you would associate short passing with retain possession

Shorter passes are more likely to successfully find a teammate. 

But you could play more direct and use hold up ball PI/lower tempo to maximise time on the ball. 

Archived