Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

• Administrators

Following on from yesterday we're able to a release a more detailed changelist for the match engine as shown below:

Match v1918
-----------

- Refactoring assist calculations
- Changes to red card suitability in certain situations
- Improvements to default set piece instructions
- Various tweaks to passing accuracy/decision making during attacking phases
- Lowering cross-field clearances from dangerous positions
- Changes to heading logic and accuracy
- Improvements to dribbling and shooting calculations when in promising positions
- Changes to players decision making and technique when attempting crosses
- Allowed players to make more conscious decisions when to join attacks when in promising situations
- Improvements to tackling logic and toning down legal potentially wild challenges
- Tweaks to player reaction times
- Allow keepers to receive and distribute the ball quicker when under no pressure
- Defending positional improvements
- General AI improvements
- AI tactical improvements 
- Fixed AI managers reducing mentality prematurely when they think they cannot come back in match

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, teodoro said:

Coming from there, mate..from a long time...

It's not my tactic...:herman:

I love to play this way... Found it far too easy in the earlier betas, winning leagues with Bournemouth, going invincble with Utd... Back to back league winner with Sunderland... Simply playing 442 with low block and direct passing. 

Ive set a new save as Tranmere... Only played a few games... But it felt more balanced. Instead of 20 chances coming from simple long ball from say 30 attempts (which is both too many and too succesful) it was more like 3/10 now. And if i can create 3 chances a game from a long ball.. Thats fine by me... Ill also get chances from other avenues. Without blitzing the league (hopefully) 

On 27/11/2018 at 10:27, Neil Brock said:

Following on from yesterday we're able to a release a more detailed changelist for the match engine as shown below:

Match v1918
-----------

- Refactoring assist calculations
- Changes to red card suitability in certain situations
- Improvements to default set piece instructions
- Various tweaks to passing accuracy/decision making during attacking phases
- Lowering cross-field clearances from dangerous positions
- Changes to heading logic and accuracy
- Improvements to dribbling and shooting calculations when in promising positions
- Changes to players decision making and technique when attempting crosses
- Allowed players to make more conscious decisions when to join attacks when in promising situations
- Improvements to tackling logic and toning down legal potentially wild challenges
- Tweaks to player reaction times
- Allow keepers to receive and distribute the ball quicker when under no pressure
- Defending positional improvements
- General AI improvements
- AI tactical improvements 
Fixed AI managers reducing mentality prematurely when they think they cannot come back in match

Hum... Time to turn on this beta version.

2 ore fa, themadsheep2001 ha scritto:

Create a beta report, show some examples, because otherwise there really isn't the evidence atm for you to claim otherwise. 

Thanks for tip...

Sorry, I don't want to waste my limited time..
That's why:

Sigames has made precise choices of gameplay that, i'm aware,  require a difficult balance
Unfortunately, every choice has some downsides
As a matter of fact, in this case in new ME direct counter attack has been tuned down heavily
Some people will like it, I won't.
I would have preferred that a better balance had been maintained .... let's say with less attemps (counter -direct attack), but without debilitating this beautiful gameplay style
That's all

Greetings

3 minutes ago, teodoro said:

Thanks for tip...

That's why:

Sigames has made precise choices of gameplay that, i'm aware,  require a difficult balance
As a matter of fact, in this case in new ME direct counter attack has been tuned down heavily
I would have preferred that a better balance had been maintained .... let's say with less attemps (counter -direct attack), but without debilitating this beautiful gameplay style
That's all

Greetings

Except its not a matter of fact though. You've not actually offered anything to back up your assertion.

Secondly it's a beta, getting constructive backed up feedback is precisely the point of it. If you're not going to do that, I'm little confused as to why you signed up in the first place.

24 minutes ago, teodoro said:

Thanks for tip...

That's why:

That's all

Greetings

you just got used to a OP tactic. the match engine got tweaked, so it's natural that you have to tweak your tactic too to find that sweet spot again.

35 minutes ago, Mitja said:

any off the ball movement changes of forwards? i noticed  they start moving forwards slightly later than before. inside forwards still staying too narrow in final third even when stay wider ticked?

Inside forwards are really suppose to stay narrow when the ball is in the final third. As they are wide forwards. They stay wider during build up then drift narrow when the ball is in the final third. The problem we were having was that they were not moving or making themselves available for pass or making runs in behind. I've seen this a  couple of AI vs AI matches. Even IF moving outwider  and coming into the center etc. 

I've also seen some passing stats and they are looking very realistic. 

4 minutes ago, Amarante said:

I've also seen some passing stats and they are looking very realistic. 

i've seen some too and they don't.

5 minutes ago, Amarante said:

Inside forwards are really suppose to stay narrow when the ball is in the final third. As they are wide forwards.

they are still staying wider when defending then when in possession in final third, which is opposite to basic football logics. that maybe not such a big problem if they actually moved a little more. i've seen some movement in one game i played but i will reserve from judging until i play little more. 

4 minutes ago, Mitja said:

i've seen some too and they don't.

they are still staying wider when defending then when in possession in final third, which is opposite to basic football logics. that maybe not such a big problem if they actually moved a little more. i've seen some movement in one game i played but i will reserve from judging until i play little more. 

You misunderstood my statement, a couple years a back you could have striker role in the AML-AMR slots SI later remove this and created the inside forward. They stay wide when defending and wide during build up then come narrow when they are attacking, 

59 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

I think i found a small bug due to training . Can give any player in the game up to 2 weeks rest by right clicking them . 

Raised it in the bug section 

Introduce in the previous beta Update, dont know why they did not fix it for this one. There are already several threads about it.

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Herbie2100 said:

Introduce in the previous beta Update, dont know why they did not fix it for this one. There are already several threads about it.

It isn't and never has been a case of as soon as an issue is raised and logged that a coder necessarily has time to look at it and fix it. Whilst this is a highly visible issue, it's a low priority issue in terms of the game as it's something a user could only do by choice. 

Saying that, we'll still look to get it fixed prior to the retail version being updated. :thup: 

Just ran a quick sim and lesser teams still pass the ball too much. For example, Burnley having 47% possesion against Man City, the same for Newcastle.

The lesser teams should not have that level of possesion, they should hoof the ball a lot more and be much more cautios. 

I don't know if it's a bug or intended behavior of the ME so i ll leave this here. I am curios if anyone else feels the same.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Herbie2100 said:

This is an issue we have under review. As Neil says, we work as efficiently as we can however time is finite unfortunately and we must prioritise. We'll also never just rush something out because it has been raised publicly without fully testing it internally first. But don't think we've ignored/forgotten it. :thup:

22 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Just ran a quick sim and lesser teams still pass the ball too much. For example, Burnley having 47% possesion against Man City, the same for Newcastle.

The lesser teams should not have that level of possesion, they should hoof the ball a lot more and be much more cautios. 

I don't know if it's a bug or intended behavior of the ME so i ll leave this here. I am curios if anyone else feels the same.

So your saying because a team is lesser they must have less of the ball? You know that just defies logic right? Next i bet you'll be saying Burnley shouldn't have over 5 shots on target cause there a lesser team. 

Before making such outlandish claims and ideals post pkms, post-match stats pass completion and most of all post the result. 

21 minutes ago, andu1 said:

As has been mentioned, if you have something you think is worth looking at, examples and PKMs would be great so it can be reviewed. The number only points to a potential issue. What the issue is, if there is one, is the important thing to establish.

3 minutes ago, Mitja said:

@Amarante

:seagull: looool

I Assume this is from the post above. It's an outlandish claim.  Along with nothing to back it up, while i can go in and show screenshots of City dominating the ball against lesser teams. Hell they just dismantled PSV 10-1 in the Champions league. 

2 minutes ago, Amarante said:

I Assume this is from the post above. It's an outlandish claim.  Along with nothing to back it up, while i can go in and show screenshots of City dominating the ball against lesser teams. Hell they just dismantled PSV 10-1 in the Champions league. 

you have no prove for that, you need to post pkm, match stats etc. :D

on more serious note post it to beta bugs forum.

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

lol what i see is two games, 5-1 and 5-0. what's wrong with that?

???

That is still a dismantling you thought they scored 10. Oh my bad. The highest i've seen ai team score is 7-0 

On a next note, anyone realizing that central play is not happening, even when you tick exploit the middle most of the attacks are. coming down the wings. 

2 minutes ago, Amarante said:

On a next note, anyone realizing that central play is not happening, even when you tick exploit the middle most of the attacks are. coming down the wings. 

yes it's conected to possession issue and wide forwards being static..

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Saying that, we'll still look to get it fixed prior to the retail version being updated. :thup: 

I realise this is at best a hopeful question but... do you have a timeframe for that?

Or perhaps a more general answer of how long it usually takes for a public beta update to reach the retail version?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, mersk said:

I realise this is at best a hopeful question but... do you have a timeframe for that?

Or perhaps a more general answer of how long it usually takes for a public beta update to reach the retail version?

Given this year is the first time we've ever done a public beta, we don't have much to compare it with. As with always when it comes to updates, all we can really say is when we feel it's ready. 

Just now, Herbie2100 said:

Anynone playing with a lone SC, do your SC also only get below 10 passes pr match, even though you dominate possession and the match in general???

Nope. Mine just got 19 in the last match, although I only had 50% possession. Dominated the rest of the match and stats. The match before was 58% possession with 21 pass attempts. Before that, more of our usual 60+ % matches, 63% this time and 18 pass attempts. It is lower than the other players though.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Nope. Mine just got 19 in the last match, although I only had 50% possession. Dominated the rest of the match and stats. The match before was 58% possession with 21 pass attempts. Before that, more of our usual 60+ % matches, 63% this time and 18 pass attempts. It is lower than the other players though.

in a support or attack role?

Weel i'll head to the tactics forum then :D

Just now, Herbie2100 said:

in a support or attack role?

Weel i'll head to the tactics forum then :D

Support. With how I am set up, Attack won't make too much sense and I am regularly up against 2 CD + 2 DM combinations, so I want him to try and find space.

Just now, craiigman said:

Does the ME work with existing saves? I assume it does? Will continue with my save from there and see if it's any better than last nights experience.

It does. All changes except things like data changes and league issues are usually compatible.

Still waaaaaaaaaay too many red cards .. Especially for "normal" fouls ... Its not rare that one team receives 2 red cards . which is ridiculous when it happens so often as right now. Definitely needs to be worked on !

7 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

Still waaaaaaaaaay too many red cards .. Especially for "normal" fouls ... Its not rare that one team receives 2 red cards . which is ridiculous when it happens so often as right now. Definitely needs to be worked on !

Not seen that at all. Is your assman putting the opp instructions on hard tackling? I have had 1 red all season and the season has just ended. Red cards in PL 55 in total  all season.

10 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

This isn't a gameplay issue, it's simply an issue with how UEFA recognise them. We need clarification on UEFA's ruling to change this. 

I searched for days for this and there doesn't seem to be any rules for this type of issue (Kosovo). It's all discussed and decided in the meetings of the UEFA Commitee, something the game can't simulate.

Gibraltar spent five years applying until the commitee accepted them, then in two or three years Gibraltar requested to gain more continental spots and the commitee agreed. Same thing for Kosovo's membership.

Using Gibraltar as a precedent, Kosovo can in a few years (or even next year) request the same. Even if it's not accepted now, it's clear they will gain more spots with time and performances. In the game I can play until say, 2050, and have Kosovo in the top 5 leagues but forever locked with 1 continental spot, something that would never happen in real life. Not even sure if you can actually reach top 5 with just 1 team in the UCL and 1 in the UEL :rolleyes:

And again, it would really suck to wait for something like Football Manager 2020 or more to try a proper Kosovo save.

And in the Public Beta forum, Freddie Sands replied and actually said they were supposed to gain spots like the other nations (on coefficient performance) and flagged this issue under review.

Am 27.11.2018 um 19:44 schrieb Kazza:

Not seen that at all. Is your assman putting the opp instructions on hard tackling? I have had 1 red all season and the season has just ended. Red cards in PL 55 in total  all season.

I'm talking about AI vs AI matches. You won't see it . unless u have screen flow on , checking other leagues results etc .  here an example 

777d3f74538b86d2caaf1d72768a95be.png

f35f22a88f16c16394f00990ca5cf41a.png

it doesn't happen every week , or month . but it happens , and i've seen it . I have detail level on Full . every game on full . every game in game

afb3549085040f5cc3ebbb7a34199ba5.png

9b74441ce1694791dc44436b695e4ab9.png

@Neil Brock is this an issue the team aware of ?  

1 minute ago, Kazza said:

Not sure if it's a bug or a quirk: Tammy Abraham listed for 16.5m I ask for suggested in transfer negotiation window and they want £95m? 

Seems a lot. Now that said, are you a "rival" club? If so they may not want to sell to you and hence offer you an inflated price :D

Just now, Lord Rowell said:

Seems a lot. Now that said, are you a "rival" club? If so they may not want to sell to you and hence offer you an inflated price :D

My bad, that was his value re shown as listed on scouting, but that was for loan. Not  what the club want for him.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lanko said:

I searched for days for this and there doesn't seem to be any rules for this type of issue (Kosovo). It's all discussed and decided in the meetings of the UEFA Commitee, something the game can't simulate.

Gibraltar spent five years applying until the commitee accepted them, then in two or three years Gibraltar requested to gain more continental spots and the commitee agreed. Same thing for Kosovo's membership.

Using Gibraltar as a precedent, Kosovo can in a few years (or even next year) request the same. Even if it's not accepted now, it's clear they will gain more spots with time and performances. In the game I can play until say, 2050, and have Kosovo in the top 5 leagues but forever locked with 1 continental spot, something that would never happen in real life. Not even sure if you can actually reach top 5 with just 1 team in the UCL and 1 in the UEL :rolleyes:

And again, it would really suck to wait for something like Football Manager 2020 or more to try a proper Kosovo save.

And in the Public Beta forum, Freddie Sands replied and actually said they were supposed to gain spots like the other nations (on coefficient performance) and flagged this issue under review.

Freddie works in the competition and rule groups team so knows better than me. We spoke about it earlier today and he has found an issue that is being investigated. 

I’ve played a few games, not entirely focused on Analysis, just wanted to see how the game plays. I believe the ME’s on the right track but there could be some adjustments. Hopefully SI will look to improve it more in the next few patch releases.

I was going to praise the high work rate from the dev team for pumping out these updates to ME fairly rapidly... Then realised it happens every year but this is the first time we are along for the ride. Ive started my main save last night so it adds a little spice having to adapt to the frequent tweaks. From what ive seen of this version, a few games last night, i think its improved. Still some issues, especially visible when watched in full match, but its definitely what id class as 'playable' now. 

Very early first impressions are that it's certainly moving in the right direction; as some have mentioned, there's still a dearth of through balls from the playmaker roles but i've noticed a real improvement in terms of other expressive play - 'flair' players seem to express themselves more; my better technical players are using dribbling more and i've even seen a striker chip the 'keeper when one-on-one. I mean, admittedly, it was my 'keeper that was chipped but still, nice to see!

54 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Freddie works in the competition and rule groups team so knows better than me. We spoke about it earlier today and he has found an issue that is being investigated. 

Alright, thanks for letting me know.

Happy to see that the Beta version has been made public finally. 

Latest ME is much better compared to 19.1 in general. Still needs work, but took a lot of steps in the right direction.

All of the bigger issues have already been mentioned, so I will just add my long term and on-going (10+ years) issue with the player ratings:

1- GK ratings: Seeing some slightly better (in terms of reflecting the performance and/or stats) ratings in the latest ME, but more towards that direction please. 

2- DM ratings: Same issue for years. When the team defends well all the defenders get big boosts for not conceding, bigger boosts the longer they stay in the game. Attacking midfielders and forwards have goals and assists to boost their ratings. Poor DM's are stuck between, not having much of a chance for goals and assists, and not getting acknowledged either for their contribution to defense. They should at least get a smaller piece of that boost the defenders are getting for not conceding.

Archived