Why does Manchester United need to go defensive?

I haven't played FM that much this year yet, but I'm starting to see a trend with my assistants saying that United needs to go defensive against bottom tier sides of the Premier League. They even told to go cautious against a Championship side in the League Cup. I have been ignoring their advice and winning comfortably and I'm currently sitting 2nd behind Liverpool.

Why does this happen? I actually want advice from the backroom staff and now I'm completely ignoring their tactical advice.

1 hora atrás, Krokknoff disse:

I haven't played FM that much this year yet, but I'm starting to see a trend with my assistants saying that United needs to go defensive against bottom tier sides of the Premier League. They even told to go cautious against a Championship side in the League Cup. I have been ignoring their advice and winning comfortably and I'm currently sitting 2nd behind Liverpool.

Why does this happen? I actually want advice from the backroom staff and now I'm completely ignoring their tactical advice.

I hate to be that guy but... isn't that hyper realistic? Props to SI for that :)

Tbh this happened to me and I thought it was a mistake, I went into the match expecting them to play an entirely more attacking tactic and they didn't, they stayed with the defensive 4-14-1 (flat). I accidentally left my defensive line at "much higher" and Martial put 4 past me. 5-0 FT.

Backroom "advice" is just that and you as the Manager need to evaluate it before accepting it.  As has been said above, a lot of it is poor based on the attributes of whoever is giving it, so should be taken with a pinch of salt in a lot of cases.

It's entirely possible to play VERY defensive attacking football.

I wonder why they insist of calling it attacking and defending, what is is is high risk or low risk football.

You can play low risk attacking and high risk defensive football.

1 hour ago, Ellis_D said:

Why is it realistic? Please explain your point, as I don't understand it.

Poster was referring to the current MU team and it's perceived issues with being over defensive, but this is not the pace to discuss these opinions

8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Poster was referring to the current MU team and it's perceived issues with being over defensive, but this is not the pace to discuss these opinions

Right, thanks for that. After I had posted I thought that may be the case. But even if we take it in real life terms, I am sure, in fact, absolutely convinced, that Jose Mourinho's assistant manager IRL does NOT tell him to play defensively against teams at the bottom of the league or from lower leagues.

Eh its not exactly BAD advice if you expect them to just try and lump the ball past you and hit you on a counter.  It IS very boring advice however; very low risk as another poster said.  If they play counter ball and you play counter ball as MU you'll win, but get ready for boring 1-0 and 2-0 football, and watch as someone like City murders you for your insolence.  From personal experience in previous FMs I've noticed that if I want to avoid the odd upset against lower teams (usually in someplace like the Bundesliga) I just drop my line deep and play possession based counter ball.  It gets the job done against lesser sides and keeps my players fresh, allowing me to be much more aggressive against my real competition.
However, if you don't mind the occasional shock upset, play something more aggressive and actually enjoy watching your team play, heh.

6 horas atrás, FrazT disse:

Respectfully disagree. The whole point of FM is being realistic and some time ago we were discussing how the teams in FM should be even more realistic, with the notable example of Guardiola's Manchester City not being the possession/domination machine it is IRL. By the same logic, Mourinho's Manchester United should be more defensive and voluntarily giving ball possession to the oponents while laid back and playing with much less risk mentality (which is not even a critique, each strategy has it's merits and it's flaws).

Archived