Indirect Free Kicks

This may sound a stupid question but where on the pitch are indirect deep free kicks taken from as the graphical display isn't much help.  Obviously indirect wide is the wide areas - wings, is deep the central areas of the same line on the pitch as the indirect wide free kick or is it meant to be further back then that ie close to your goalkeeper ie so you would want all your defenders back when setting them up.    

Indirect only means that you cannot score directly from the kick, so that doesn't affect where on the pitch it is taken.  I would suggest that indirect deep when attacking will be from the halfway line to about one-third of the way to the opponent's goal, in the central area.

I always found those names misleading, as there are so few Indirect Free Kicks given anymore other than for offside, which, by definition has to be taken in your own half and too far out to take a shot anyway.

I always read it within the game as 'within range' so a Direct Fee Kick is one where the taker will probably shoot. An Indirect with Chance to Shoot is one where the likelihood is a cross but a confident player may fancy a shot and and 'Indirect'  being one where the sensible thing is to play it into the box without considering a shot. (Which covers the IFK for offside as well)

it seems a lot of work to add instructions and plan tactics for an true IFK just outside the opponents penalty area when it happens so rarely.

I on''t know the stats, but  I honestly can;t remember, in real life, seeing the referee hold his arm up to indicate IFK for anything other than offside.

So the 'Where are IFKs taken from?" question, I would answer, whenever it is too far out for a shot.

Could just be my misunderstanding, but  I always assumed the wording in the game was a quirk that didn't match the wording IRL Laws.

Archived