Creating a club from scratch recruitment help

Posted this in the player/team section with muted responses to say at the least. Any advice is welcome

Essentially I'm creating a club using the create a club mode from scratch in the Vanarama National League North with 0 players and 0 staff. I've had a go and I'm at a loss as to how to recruit players. At this point I would normally give some I ideas as to what I have/will try, but I have no clue whatsoever.

For some guidance I want to play rugged, direct, physical, typical old English football style.

Any recruitment advice for staff, players (who, how to find them, how to recruit them how many of them, etc.) would be very very welcome

Cheers

So in spite of a lack of help, I've had a go at this. I got to about 2 weeks before the season and was really struggling to assemble both my playing squad and staff members.

If anybody would like to give me some tips sooner rather than later, I'd appreciate it

This is the Tactics and Training discussion forum.  If you want to discuss tactics for your VNL team then by all means post them for discussion / help.  But I'm afraid if you want to know who to recruit and how to recruit them you're better off sticking to your original thread or perhaps trying General Discussion.

On the other hand though, if you are using "create a club" why not just bring in all the players and staff you want during the club creation process?  That way you don't need to worry about recruitment at all.  You can even ask the game to populate your squad for you.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

This is the Tactics and Training discussion forum.  If you want to discuss tactics for your VNL team then by all means post them for discussion / help.  But I'm afraid if you want to know who to recruit and how to recruit them you're better off sticking to your original thread or perhaps trying General Discussion.

On the other hand though, if you are using "create a club" why not just bring in all the players and staff you want during the club creation process?  That way you don't need to worry about recruitment at all.  You can even ask the game to populate your squad for you.

Apologies for using the wrong forum, which I was aware I was doing btw, but I had one response that largely said "don't bother" in my post in the correct forum so it was needs must. 

The reason I don't pick the players I want in the creation process is I don't know who and I want to be as realistic as possible. If a new club were founded they wouldnt just turn around and say to another clubs player come and play for us without any costs or anything, if you see where I'm coming from.

I might try the general discussions forum if my struggles continue. Cheers

I've done clean starts like this. It's not easy. You need to be aggressive hiring scouts and getting trialists into the squad from day 1. Also, anybody remotely close to being good needs to be signed asap. Often before you can get a over 60% scouted on them, particularly in that first transfer window.

If you don't move fast, they sign with someone else. And if you don't fill out the team, you are going to have the generated crap. 

Also expect to be weaker than the other teams. You are going to have to rely on your tactic(s) to get your guys to play above their class. Just staying up that first season will be hard. 

You can get some good players in that second transfer window to help you do better in the second half of the season. But you need to be careful that the first half doesn't put you too far behind.

I often create my own club to put in a lower league, but I use the pre-game editor. For staff and players I just filter for people from the club's nation who are unattached. I can select by job or playing position and change the CA to be either 1 for the ultimate challenge or select those with a CA that is suitable for the league (maybe average or equal with the weakest club in the league). I leave the attributes as they are or change to 0 for a random effect, but you can increase attributes for your "rugged" style.

That way I start 'realistically' with a club and personnel. I might be happy with them and retain them or they might not be what I want in which case I need to work on how to replace them, just like a real manager.

In my current campaign beginning in Level 10 I made all the starting players have CA1. We struggled but ended midtable. The next season with my Academy Intake we got promotion and are operating like a fairly normal part-time outfit, except I'm relying on my academy and not making any transfers.

Archived