First team football at 16

4 hours ago, borobadger said:

Is it a good idea to chuck a player into the first team straight away as soon as they are signed from an intake? Is it likely to help or hinder them?

Depends on how good they are in respect to the level they'll be playing in, their personality, the importance of the match, and many other variables...

You never know until they play. 

In FM 18 when I was coaching Barcelona, I brought in a 16 YO striker from our youth system during mid season that was so impressive, I could not keep him off the first squad. If I recall, none of his attributes really stood out but he was consistent, scored big goals, and the supporters loved him. He was the youngest player to ever make his debut for the club. 

• 4 weeks later...

If he's good enough then for sure - just have to weigh up how much he'll actually play. Are 7 first team appearances better than 25 in the under-23s? Can always make him available for the lower team which has the added bonus of keeping his sharpness up too!

Other benefit is if he's with your first team he can join a mentoring group with them - tend to find the older guys tend to (not always ofc) have better mental stats (unsurprisingly) so you can try and help a young guy with poor determination/anything your assman notices out by pairing him with a good pro etc earlier. 

Archived