DoF challenge, who does what?

Hello everyone, I was thinking of trying the dof challenge (so the whole transfer activity would be delegated to the director of football and I would only work with what I'm given), but while I was setting up the staff's tasks I realized I don't know how it works with the dof and the scouting system. Apparently the dof "finds and finalize signings" (he also has skills for judging players), does that mean that he searches through the reports that scouts have come up with or does he look for players himself, regardless of what you told your scouts to search for? Cause in this case I can't see the point of even having a scouting team. 

Any suggestions? 

You set that up in the delegation screen. Personally, I delegate to DoF to manage the scouts but you could take control of them if you want to and make your DoF challenge a HECK of a lot easier. It means you mostly get the players you want, in which case the DoF bit is not much more than leaving the negotiations to him. For me, having him control scouting is brilliantly frustrating as he never gets the players you think you need!

When I delegate managing the scouts to him, he still brings recommendations to me - every month telling me the best recommendation of the scouting team. So I ignore those and wait for him to actually sign players behind my back. This form of DoF challenge is called a Head Coach challenge - you just do the training, tactics and pick the team.

So what happens if I set it up so that I personally manage the scouts and tell them where to search but also that the dof finds and signs players? Will he sign players found by the scouts or entirely different players (found by him), ignoring the scouts work? 

Also, the chief scout would then be useless? And if I put the chief scout in charge of managing scouts and the dof in charge of transfers, will they cooperate or the scouts work will again be pointless? 

I would like to do the "head coach only" thing but I need to know who does what and how, so that I can set it up correctly. 

This is a great thread/youtube series of a DoF Head coach challenge

The Head Coach (The Journeyman with a twist)

What you could do is have the final say on signing anyone, but have your scouts look for players and recommend them, and the Director of Football negotiates the contracts. If he's an Ed Woodward he inevitably doesn't get most of them.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ccfc2001 said:

With the DoF challenge, are you able to make transfer targets or not?

Look at the staff responsibilities screen. You can scout and identify targets yourself and leave him to negotiate the contracts, or you can leave the scouting in his hands - a much harder challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

To those who do (a version of) the DoF challenge: under the 'board' tab, what have you chosen to set your budget to?
I usually have it two clicks from the right, so that my DoF won't go overboard with wage offers but that there's still some transfer budget left to work with. Unfortunately sometimes a DoF can't seem to restrain himself and then my debt keeps increasing and increasing.

Tests with setting the budget all the way to the left (so transfer budget is zero), all the way to the right or somewhat left or right have been inconclusive so far.

Archived