Is gegenpress really noob abuse?

I’ve read in a lot of forums people who either say the games hard or people say it’s easy and all of them seem to be using the gegenpress, however this threads been posted after Liverpool have just won back to back champions leagues and have literally just won the European Super Cup, Club World Cup, Carabao Cup, The FA Cup and just beat Real Madrid 4-1 in the Champions League Final lol, so 5 trophies in one season.. is tge gegenpress really this overpowered? How are Liverpool getting on in other peoples saves?

they finished 4th in the league i’ll add but still, one trophy away from winning 6 in one year is nuts.

I've had plenty of success with a variety of styles. Most recently I was very much playing a Mourinho style tactic. Sit back in two lines of four and make the opposition break me down, and when they lose the ball we're going to build slowly from the back rather than countering at pace. Worked really very well in that save.

However for Liverpool I'd actually argue that the reality is that they're not too far off being up there with the best of them. I think they've got a real chance of winning the league this year and with a bit more strength in depth I reckon they've got a damn good chance in the Champions League next year.

Just look at their squad:

Salah, Mane and Firmino are a world class front three.

Van Dijk is one of the best central defenders in the world right now.

Alisson is right up there with the best and is only going to get better.

Keita, Lallana and Fabinho are a really solid group in central midfield, with Shaqiri and Milner extremely capable utility players around them.

The only area they're relatively weak is in defence, but even there Matip is very good and with Robertson, Gomez and Alexander-Arnold they have a trio of very talented youngsters who are starting to show some real class. However even the relatively weak defence is countered to a certain extent by the work rate that they have and the way the entire team defends as a unit.

If you look at their first XI I don't think there can be more than about half a dozen teams in Europe who have a better lineup than they do. If they can get some more strength in depth they will be one hell of a force in real life.

Why is it so unrealistic for them to do well in the game?

It's not gegenpress that's OP. Any style will work as long as you have the players to fit the system. I am doing really well with Notts County based on my control possession tactic, that's mainly because my recruitment has been picking players who will do that system well. 

It just so happens Liverpool has the perfect players for gegenpress, so that tactic will be super effective if used properly.

I'm playing tiki-taka (a bit modified by myself) with Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid, all of them with success. But yes, also played gegenpress with FC Porto and seemed invincible, just the football played in front of my eyes is not very appealing.

what about winning CL? which tactic would be the best ? or for away matches?

I am playing Valencia I am in october but  I tried to simulate season till the end - same tactic and gengenpress like Liverpool and it doesn't work...

On my save Liverpool was always in final of CL, first season won with my team 5-4 in additional time crazy game...I was playing with like 9 or 10 players since 80+min because of red cards

2nd season they lost to Man City I think and now I simulated 3rd and they won again...

I did 3 1/2 seasons with PSG.

At pre-release version of FM it was overpowered.

However, I played and helped with the Public Beta up to and including where everyone else is now i.e. 19.2.1 ME 1922, its certainly not overpowered. Gegenpress was useless with my PSG side because with Neymar & Mbappe, I didn't have the players for that style.

I'm managing West Ham now and safe to say Arnautovic, Yarmalenko, Chicarito and Anderson are at no point being asked to Gegenpress :D

Archived