Use of IWB: 3142 and 4141

735135336_2018-12-2722_19_55.thumb.png.2dfe86095493c8321b7a1d2d6779ec84.png 
The first formation was developed when I was having difficulties tearing down the opposition's defence with a 442. The approach I adopted to tear down those defensive teams is to take away a central defender and increase the number of players in the front. I think I have seen somebody using this kind of wide back three and I must admit that I was inspired by someone else.

89987881_2018-12-2618_44_26.thumb.png.845f159d8823d733faac0b46ddee20c1.png2120202770_2018-12-2618_48_20.thumb.png.6810f0c8adf7bb88c74263811d12d499.png

This tactic looks leaky in defence at first sight, but it is actually pretty reliable when you are clearly the stronger team (and with a good morale). When in possession the IWBs and the HB and the midfielders will form two layers. The midfielders press and attack while the IWBs and HB are excellent in providing ball recyling and passing options in the central area. When the counter-press is carried out properly, you will be pressing the opposition in their own half. Even when the ball is passed to the front, if your "sweeper", the NCB, is considerably stronger than the opposing striker, you are still safe. Sometimes I do think it is ironic that you want your lone striker to find space in the opposition's defence, and in the meantime you think the opponent's striker should be isolated by your center backs. In this way you will be having two wingers stretching the defence, and having two CM-A and two strikers attacking the box. It is actually like reallocating unused resources from the back to the front.

810086297_2018-12-2722_20_43.thumb.png.52327ba3756e0c88ad485635c4cf3290.png1937129584_2018-12-2621_51_59.thumb.png.73d97089f349cec9f86bbd8a9954eef3.png

Another version is a 4141 tactic. This is of course more defensively stable and is useful when the opposing team is continuously (or is strong enough to) breaking through the midfield curtain. The key is the same as the previous tactic: a total of seven midfielders spreading wide across the pitch when in possession, providing many passing options, ball recycling and attacking foci.

I would say IWB is a very useful role in creating midfield dominance. And importantly, when in use with a DM, they do not venture far from their defensive position, meaning that they can get back quick enough when defending against a counter-attack. In the attacking phase, unlike wingbacks in which you need to allow time for them to overlap, the wingers will be immediately available with the IWB shielding the back.

With these two tactics my team Roma scored 110 goals in 38 league matches and won the UEFA champions league as the biggest overachiever. I hope you guys will find some inspiration in these two tactics.

2 小时前, Pep468说:

The first shape is the one pep uses when trying to break down packed defences (against Huddersfield at start of season) but overall they look pretty nice. 

Any player instructions for either of the tactics?

For the first tactic I told the sweeper and the halfback to close down less. Otherwise I am pretty comfortable to go with the presets. 

5 小时前, Gegenklaus说:

How does using all those attack duties work? Like the poacher in the 4-1-4-1? Or two mezallas on attack? :)

I put a lot of attack duties to encourage them to go further forward. IMO these role and duties are not restricted to my setting and are should be adapted to individual player qualities, especially the central players. For the two wide midfielders, the role of winger is preferred IMO no matter they prefer cutting inside or running down the flank due to the role's tendency to hug the line and play with width. For the lone striker, I originally used a DLF(S) and then changed to a P(A) towards the end of the season. The movement is a bit different and I am still figuring what I like most.

3 hours ago, Manjusaka said:

I put a lot of attack duties to encourage them to go further forward. IMO these role and duties are not restricted to my setting and are should be adapted to individual player qualities, especially the central players. For the two wide midfielders, the role of winger is preferred IMO no matter they prefer cutting inside or running down the flank due to the role's tendency to hug the line and play with width. For the lone striker, I originally used a DLF(S) and then changed to a P(A) towards the end of the season. The movement is a bit different and I am still figuring what I like most.

I just asked because it seemed a little extreme (5 players with attack duty on Attacking mentality) though looks like great, great fun. :D

I’ve been using a similiar setup throughout FM 18/19 and always try to get the same shape going like you do in the 4-1-4-1, though I am still struggling to get something out of the Mezzala(a) on balanced mentality. I really want him high up the pitch and using the space created by the winger next to him. Might be that I don’t have the right player yet with some offensive PPMs. How does your Mezzalas act for you?

How are your normal attacks looking?I imagine they are gonna be quite fast?

I really like your ideas in this thread. :)

16 小时前, Gegenklaus说:

I just asked because it seemed a little extreme (5 players with attack duty on Attacking mentality) though looks like great, great fun. :D

I’ve been using a similiar setup throughout FM 18/19 and always try to get the same shape going like you do in the 4-1-4-1, though I am still struggling to get something out of the Mezzala(a) on balanced mentality. I really want him high up the pitch and using the space created by the winger next to him. Might be that I don’t have the right player yet with some offensive PPMs. How does your Mezzalas act for you?

How are your normal attacks looking?I imagine they are gonna be quite fast?

I really like your ideas in this thread. :)

If you are in a big team you should really give a go to a more attacking mentality. Otherwise the opposition camps in the box when you are in possession and your midfielders don't go forward enough to do the overload properly. 

The two attacking central midfielders should be kind of runners so they revolve around the pivot and attack the box. I mainly used CM(A) and mezzala and when I play with a DLP in 4141 I use mezzala to give more room for the DLP to control the play. I have also used RPM in the national team with some success. Usually the two attacking midfielders exchange passes with the DM and when opportunity arises they pass to the unmarked winger and then go into the box with another winger. Sometimes they play through balls to feed the wingers and the forwards too. 

And yes my team attacks quick due to the attacking mentality and quick tempo. I think this complements with the counterpress to make the best use of the space after regaining possession.

Archived