Milan 4-4-2 - Advice on midfield setup

Hi, I'm looking for a little bit of advice on a 4-4-2 formation I'm trying to put together for AC Milan. 

I'm mostly uncertain about the roles for the midfield 4. I would like to have a winger and I think a wide playmaker as that sort of suits the players I have, but it's the central 2 I have doubts about, in particular whether the BBM and AP will be both using the same space. What are your thoughts?

Screenshot 2018-12-27 at 20.32.47.png

I am playing a very similar midfield, both in my wingplay and my fluid counter formation. First of all, apologies for the formation. I am on my tablet and I cam't copy paste some things to their proper place on that.

When I go wider, what I loved is having the left fullback underlap, especially if they are somewhat more offensive or more playmaker-like. I guess your Rodriguez is Ricardo? While he has some good crossing ability, his biggest strength is his intelligence. On the far half-spaces he could really well direct a game while your winger gets room at the far areas.

Theoretically that would open up your MCL slot for a more roaming role as Rici can act as de facto holder and centre-left creative player. A BWM(D) harmonises quite well with an aggressive winger as the primary counter-runner is relatively close by and doesn't require the risky hoofballs forward.

Alternatively a CAR could work if Rici gets more aggressive roles or duties to cover the flank as he sadly isn't the fastest. For reasons detailled below however, a boring DLP(S) however is still a good role as it is defensively solid and can spray the ball to the runners and can 'take turns' with Rici in buildup, reducing the pressing vulnerability to a main outlet. 

On MCR I am completely in love with the Mezzala Attack. Reasons further below. With the WP next to him (and WP/WB(A) is too good to break up!) this also creates the midfield line with a A-S-A-S mentality, spreading the focus of attack. 

If you have a mentally sound team, a secondary tactic that is exactly the same except going S-A-S-A can also really destroy some opponents who try to adapt in-game or have low mental stats. 

----------

The way I usually play it is quite similar but with one important change: IW(A) — DLP(S) — MEZ(A) — WP(S)

What I found to be an awesome combination was having a IW(A) on the opposite end of the WP(S). They have a really good drive forwards and tend to play pretty intelligently - while they tend to *play* towards the middle, during counters from the deep they stay wide until the end and then decide whether to flank to the forwards/CM or run inside themselves. Meanwhile on slower plays they keep the ball in the centre and create spaces. Once they are off the ball, they drift outside again and especially the WP love, love sending them on their way then. 

That gives me a bit less aggressive crosses in the box but still gives me some width and more options. 

Next to this role I also use a DLP but usually in a support role. They are still defensively solid but play more risky passes to the runners next to them. It also helps having a secondary playmaker with expressiveness as otherwise the game is *very* focussed on the one flank. 

For the secondary CM role I usually use a MEZ(A) as I wanted an attacking duty in the line and their movement creates an easy passing option for your right flank. They also tend to lurk just outside the box, capturing stray balls or shooting from the distance. 

When using a Mezzala though, I have them on the side of the deeper forward as with an IW two standard plays are either crosses on the far flank from the WB (which should go to the forward on the line) or short passes from the midfield to the deeper forward which usually come from the closer WP and Mezzala. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't see an AP in your formation, just DLPdef and WPsup. Otherwise, I like your setup of roles and duties.

Sorry, that should have said WP(S)

Thanks Piperita, I will have a look at Rodriguez as an IWB, that could be interesting. I think with my current squad a BBM may be better than Mez, but I will keep that in mind! 

I was playing around with the idea of an IW as that could suit my players more than having the ML position as a Winger, but I was worried that it would result with too many players in the centre of the pitch.

Maybe base around the deep lying playmaker.  He'll have a big passing range and will naturally want to play more through balls aka risky passes.  Sometimes I like to have a player in front of him and/or next to him with an attack duty always making forward runs to receive & run on to those killer passes.  In your setup the playmaker has a deep lying forward ahead of him and a winger outside.  The winger I like but the striker less so.  It's a small thing and definitely no tactic breaker but that forward will want to drop a little deeper between the lines toward the "no.10 space" whilst the playmaker wants to play balls in behind.

On 28/12/2018 at 09:01, Robson 07 said:

Maybe base around the deep lying playmaker.  He'll have a big passing range and will naturally want to play more through balls aka risky passes.  Sometimes I like to have a player in front of him and/or next to him with an attack duty always making forward runs to receive & run on to those killer passes.  In your setup the playmaker has a deep lying forward ahead of him and a winger outside.  The winger I like but the striker less so.  It's a small thing and definitely no tactic breaker but that forward will want to drop a little deeper between the lines toward the "no.10 space" whilst the playmaker wants to play balls in behind.

Great thank you! I will have a look at swapping the two strikers around

A variant I am looking at is 4-2-2-2 and changing my BBM to a Volante and the DLP maybe into a HB to be more defensively sound. TI's remain the same. I'm not sure If I will use this with Milan, more likely with my Lyon save but any thoughts on the setup? I have never used a Volante before so not sure if it brings more than a BBM does?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 11.49.29.png

2 hours ago, Vega09 said:

any thoughts on the setup? I have never used a Volante before so not sure if it brings more than a BBM does?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 11.49.29.png

As for roles and duties, the setup looks quite good to me. I would refrain from commenting the rest of your tactic simply because I don't know your team.

Volante is among my most favorite roles and can do a really great job provided you have a player with right attributes, given how demanding the role is.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

As for roles and duties, the setup looks quite good to me. I would refrain from commenting the rest of your tactic simply because I don't know your team.

Volante is among my most favorite roles and can do a really great job provided you have a player with right attributes, given how demanding the role is.

Thanks.

For the Volante role at least the players that are most likely to play there are Ndombele and Cheikh. Their physical and mental stats look ok to me. Some of their technical stats may be a bit low (finishing & long shots) but they're both only 21.

I have attached a picture of the team with 4-4-2 and the only issue may be that Fekir is not showing as suited for the WP position. 

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 18.20.28.png

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 18.20.51.png

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 18.25.25.png

1 hour ago, Vega09 said:

For the Volante role at least the players that are most likely to play there are Ndombele and Cheikh. Their physical and mental stats look ok to me. Some of their technical stats may be a bit low (finishing & long shots) but they're both only 21.

Both guys can play a volante role pretty well IMO, especially Ndombele :thup:

Archived