Player wont sign new contract due to relegation (despite getting promoted again)

AM99

On my journeyman I took over at Hull halfway through the previous season with them having recently been relegated to League One, and they have a few players who were unhappy at being relegated to League One. I got them promoted back to the Championship but the same players are still being unhappy at being relegated despite us being back in the Championship and won't sign new contracts which is worrying given they only have a year left on their contracts.

How would I go about making them stop wanting to leave as it doesn't really make sense that they'd be upset about a relegation when we've just been promoted?

Thanks.

Once a player is seriously unhappy and wants to leave there's no surefire way to solve it - even if you fix whatever originally made him unhappy. And that makes sense too. Hull in this situation have just forced some players to spend a year of their limited careers playing at a level below their abilities. That creates resentment and distrust. For instance, what if after signing a new contract you get relegated again? The players would be in the same situation and would know the club wouldn't let them go. So they're better off trying to force a move to a club playing at a similar or better level who hasn't fallen out with them. Some may come around before their contract ends, especially if there's limited interest, but others may not - it's up to you whether to keep gambling or to sell them while you still can.

Archived